2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 612345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: get together, winter camp/ hike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2013, 6:45 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

so i have an idea for a winter trip in the catskills in early december or mid january. friday hike in, saturday hike big indian mountain, back to camp then hike out sunday.i do have some dates in mind, but would like to hear from others.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 12:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd be interested in another Northeast winter trip.

My schedule is a bit more unsettled/in-transition this year than it has been in the past, so I have a feeling that might make a trip to the Catskills difficult. But, I hope a group of us north-easterners could start doing an annual winter trip.
 Post Number: 3
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 6:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

L-E-T-S-G-O.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 4
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 8:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am in...providing I can get the car from my wife for 3 days. My truck is a station only vehicle and wont make long trips  :-(  

Also if there is a car pool option..dont know if anyone coming from LI or NYC area...or mass transit??

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 8:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm definitely in with a ride, chipping in $30 for the ride per person. I expect to have Kim with me. The bus to Phoenicia is ~$60 r/t, so a big diff.

If a ride is out, let me know ASAP so I can either post to CL or purchase a ticket early enough to get a discount.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 6
JoeinCT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd like to give it another try.  January would be better for me.  I will ask a friend of mine if he would want to go, too.

Any thoughts/suggestions on specific locations regarding shelters/climbs/locations?

--------------
Remember--Pack out more than you pack in.

Joe
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 9:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd like to give it another try.  January would be better for me.  I will ask a friend of mine if he would want to go, too.

Any thoughts/suggestions on specific locations regarding shelters/climbs/locations?

sorry for the double post

--------------

Joe
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 9:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's a good overview of Big Indian Mountain:Catskill Mountaineer - Big Indian Mountain which is what was suggested. I ain't got it, yet, so I'm down for it.

If we want to stay in a lean-to, there's one at about the 2-mile mark.

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the information.  Looking at the map, park off Rt 49 near Seager, hike 2 miles to the shelter. The next day, another 1 mile to the trail junction where you can go right to Big Indian Mountain or left to Eagle Mountain,or both, then back to the shelter. Hike out the next day.

How does January 10th or the 17th sound to everyone?

Joe

--------------

Joe
 Post Number: 10
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 4:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like fun....I'd like to be considered.

Is it a snowshoe hike in?  Crampons ??

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 7:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Nov. 04 2013, 4:55 pm)

I'll only be able to go if microspikes are needed. I haven't had the need yet to buy a pair of s-shoes or full crampons. I did a dayhike in Harriman last year thinking there was no snow or ice. I was wrong. Managed it, but damned near missed the train back. Microspikes would have done fine.

Seems there's usually some remnants of ice and snow through the season after the first big fall.

Oh, and those dates, for the time being, sound fine.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 11:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

awsome, good to see some interest. jan. 10th.-12th. sounds good to me. i did hike this area last jan. and did not need snowshoes. i am hopeing to this year. but we shall see.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 11:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the more the merryer :D   and yes and yes.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 11:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bigsilk @ Nov. 04 2013, 7:22 pm)

I'll only be able to go if microspikes are needed. I haven't had the need yet to buy a pair of s-shoes or full crampons. I did a dayhike in Harriman last year thinking there was no snow or ice. I was wrong. Managed it, but damned near missed the train back. Microspikes would have done fine.

Seems there's usually some remnants of ice and snow through the season after the first big fall.

Oh, and those dates, for the time being, sound fine.

rent snowshoes for the weekend.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 11:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Nov. 04 2013, 8:44 am)
I am in...providing I can get the car from my wife for 3 days. My truck is a station only vehicle and wont make long trips  :-(  

Also if there is a car pool option..dont know if anyone coming from LI or NYC area...or mass transit??

my pickup is a two seater, i'm on long island and you are welcome to ride with me.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 11:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vinovampire @ Nov. 04 2013, 12:26 am)
I'd be interested in another Northeast winter trip.

My schedule is a bit more unsettled/in-transition this year than it has been in the past, so I have a feeling that might make a trip to the Catskills difficult. But, I hope a group of us north-easterners could start doing an annual winter trip.

we used to do a NE winter gathering, but it kinda fizzeld out after a few years. hope you can join us.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 6:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(solowalker @ Nov. 04 2013, 11:15 pm)

(GottaGamble @ Nov. 04 2013, 8:44 am)

my pickup is a two seater, i'm on long island and you are welcome to ride with me.

AWESOME. I am in. I'm gonna mark it on my calander. I will pay for gas and breakfast.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 7:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

AWESOME. I am in. I'm gonna mark it on my calander. I will pay for gas and breakfast.

How generous...

lemmee see, I figure it will cost me about $55 in gas from Utica.....I'll stop at the Roscoe Diner...since you're buying I'll go big...figure $9.

Send me a check for $60 and I'll call it even.

Are you going to buy for solowalker too???

still want me to come??

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 8:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Nov. 05 2013, 7:08 am)

How generous...

lemmee see, I figure it will cost me about $55 in gas from Utica.....I'll stop at the Roscoe Diner...since you're buying I'll go big...figure $9.

Send me a check for $60 and I'll call it even.

Are you going to buy for solowalker too???

still want me to come??

BAAAHAHAHA...$55 in gas from Utica to Long Island to the Catskills. Then from Catskills to Long Island to Utica? Thats some great gas prices you are getting or some insane mileage per gallon. You got yerself a deal. Pick me up around 3 or 4 am? And yes, since you will be heading our way, we can pick up Solowalker and I will buy for him also. He can also ride shotgun if he would like.  Thanks wcolucci...this is gonna be fun!!

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 9:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

well....that kinda backfired....

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On a serious note do you guys think I will be better with a 10 degree or a 0 degree quilt for that time of year? I am a Hot sleeper and I have taken my 20 degree quilt down to about 10 degrees and slept just fine. So I am thinking a 10 degree quilt will be fine and if needed I can layer up. Opinions?  Not sure what that area of Catskills temps get to that time of year.  Also Solo, what made you chose this hike? Is it on your to-do list or have you done it and loved it and want to do it again?  Sounds good to me..I just am dying to get some winter trips in for the Catskills.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Nov. 05 2013, 9:18 am)
well....that kinda backfired....

LOL  :laugh:
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Nov. 05 2013, 11:47 am)
On a serious note do you guys think I will be better with a 10 degree or a 0 degree quilt for that time of year? I am a Hot sleeper and I have taken my 20 degree quilt down to about 10 degrees and slept just fine. So I am thinking a 10 degree quilt will be fine and if needed I can layer up. Opinions?  Not sure what that area of Catskills temps get to that time of year.  Also Solo, what made you chose this hike? Is it on your to-do list or have you done it and loved it and want to do it again?  Sounds good to me..I just am dying to get some winter trips in for the Catskills.

well i know nothing about quilts other than the one on my bed hear at home, i am a cold sleeper myself. last year i hiked in to this lean-to in january with camper and it was as he would say "cold with a capital F " i think it was the coldest day of the year. it was a day hike and i hiked out with my down sweter on. i chose this hike because 1) i have not done it 2) i keep hearing how nice of a hike it is and 3) the hike in to the lean-to aint that bad that if need be it's not that hard to leave.  just want to keep it a nice hike for all levels of hikers. if it's as cold as last year i will be bringing my - 20 deg. bag.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 4:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gotcha

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 25
camper10469 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hahaha yeah with a fawkin capitol F!  Jan temps can drop drastcally at night into the low teens n even minus zero.... But last year we wore Bermuda  shorts, hybicus shirts n crampons. I am praying we have a lot of snow this year... My snow shoes may need some drivers ed.

Bring a zero bag to be safe.

BTW, If anyone wants to do a nice bushwhack, Fir Mtn is a fun hike. The top of the mtn is marked with an orange M&M.

I'm in!

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

nice.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Im game on anything. Looking at the map, there are 4 parking areas within that vicinity to start from. All 4 trailheads are close to a shelter also.  The parking area on Rt 47 picking up the Pine Hill West Branch trail, parking area on Rt 7A picking up Seager Big Indian trail, parking area on Mckinley Hollow Rd picking up Oliverea Mapledale trail or the parking area off Baker Rider Hollow Rd which appears to also pick up the Oliverea Mapledale trail.  They all look good to me, so you guys decide which you want to do.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have snow shoes and micro spikes..do you think now would be a good time to invest in crampons? Been wanting to buy them but have not really needed to..heck..they will make a nice gift under the tree for myself this year. Thats about the only thing I would really need anyway.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 4:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe next time, guys.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
camper10469 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 8:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oooooooo Christmas is the perfect excuse to BUY anything!

Also, keep an eye on the for sale sections, many people upgrade this time of year.

I was thinking of getting myself a Porche 911 but i'b need one hell of a big tree to put it under.

--------------
166 replies since Nov. 03 2013, 6:45 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 612345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply get together
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions