2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Harriman conditions?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
joebiker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2013, 4:24 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anyone have any info about current snow/ice conditions in Harriman? Heading up tomorrow for an overnighter and I don't want to bring my dog if it is icy or severely crusted over.

Thanks in advance! (I hope)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
2Dogs1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2013, 7:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All the snow is gone / but there is some ice on the trails in low areas......... other than that night time temps are in the mid 20's /
 Post Number: 3
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2013, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any update on trail conditions? I see Harriman is gonna get frikkin' cold. Is there still ice on trails?

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 4
PanatomicX Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2013, 10:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very few scattered icy spots on the rocks, that's about it. But a couple of times they were right where you would want to step, so bring the traction aids.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2013, 5:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Things will surely change by this w/e...

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2014, 4:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hopefully so - We could use a good storm and with this sub zero cold front all the lakes will lock up adding some short cut routes to out of the way locations ;)
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kim and I are going to go from Harriman Station into Sterling Forest, along the Sapphire to the AT into HSP, then south to Tom Jones. We'll then head along the RD or Yellow Triangle back to Tuxedo for the train.

If anyone has trail conditions on any portion of this trail -- or the general trail conditions in southern HSP -- I'd appreciate an update. Looking at whether traction is advised, if there are flooded creeks, access to water, etc.

We plan on going Sunday to Monday.

Thanks

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Weather for Saturday - Heavy rain up to 2" as for trail conditions / we did get a bit of snow today other that expect ice flow conitions at all springs - heading down Agony grind take your time Ice with heavy rain makes perfect place for an accident i- Highly recommend chains or micro spikes for that area the rest of the park is fine lots of water flowing

Have fun be safe -
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2014, 2:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kim and I are back. We decided to just hit Dutch Doctor. It was cold last night! Kim's first winter trip. I'll have a TR and pix tomorrow.

We took T-MI straight out and back, which would suggest traction, but not enough to stop progress. Springs are frozen, but there's way too much cold, delicious flowing water from runoff.

--------------
8 replies since Dec. 26 2013, 4:24 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Harriman conditions?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions