2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mt Monadnock, Anyone been? Tips?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
omgimant Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2014, 12:43 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi fellow Northeasterners, My buddy and I are thinking about going to hike Mt Monadnock this saturday. Has anyone been up there in the snow? The weather says its going to be 25degrees with chance of snow. Any tips on gear we would need. Doesn't seem that bad of a hike but with snow and ice, I'm not so sure. Any advice from people that have been there in snow or shine, would be nice. Thanks.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2014, 8:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never been to NH, much less Monadnock, but to be honest, player, anyone who asks, 'What should I bring?' when talking about winter backpacking should probably not go winter backpacking, unless they're asking the experienced guy they're going with. I hike the Ramapos and the Cats -- similar terrain and elevation.

That said, aside from standard, cold-weather backpacking attire;
  • More water than you think you'll need.
  • Crampons and/or snowshoes.
  • Tall, waterproof gaiters.
  • Hiking poles.
  • Stove, pot, ignition source, and fuel to melt/make potable ice/snow; fire starters.
  • Something very orange, like a garbage bag, poncho, or emergency tent.
  • A piece of CCF to sit on.
  • More dry socks than you think you'll need.
  • Good sunglasses/glacier glasses.
  • A real good insulating layer (sb, quilt, sweater, pants, booties, et al,) even if it is a day hike.

Your winter day pack should rival your warmer weather overnight pack in weight. With attire, more.

This isn't an endorsement to go out and buy this stuff; that'll only reinforce the notion of, 'If you have to ask...'

But again, the most valuable piece of gear is that mushy, gray mass between your ears. That includes knowing whether or not to go.

--------------
    There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
     Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2014, 10:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the reply. I've done a lot of camping this year but not many big hikes, aside from mt laffeyette and chimney pond. We want to tackle baxter peak this year so need to train now. We figured we'd pick up crampons gaitersand ice axes. For layers I read no cotten, but to what extent. Normally when I camp its 2 underarmor shits the cotten thermal cotten longsleeve cotten thermal cotten long sleeve hoodie jacket whool socks and gloves face mask and hat. Is the 2 under armor enough to stop the sweat from getting to the cotten. Any thoughts?
     Post Number: 4
    double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2014, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Views From The Top's NEw Hampshire Trail Conditions:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?13-New-Hampshire

COTTON KILLS, period. I hike in it all the time in the winter but am smart enough to have the right stuff in my pack for when/if the cotton does get wet.

Monadnock is the second most hiked mountain in the known Universe. I'm guessing it will be pretty darn well tracked but crampons are not necessarily going to be enough if there are any snow depth issues. Poles are good, would not know if Picks are recommended or not.

--------------
    We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
     Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2014, 12:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info, yeah I'm getting better layers with no cotton. Dont think ill be able to get crampons in time, so we'll just have to get microspikes and take it easy. Yeah we are getting poles over picks. Gonna be alotta fun!
     Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2014, 9:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well my buddy and I successfully completed Mt.Monadnock. Great hike, was tons of fun. Definitly need crampons, lots of ice to climb. Took us 4 hours round trip. The summit got sketchy because it started to snow and got super windy and there are only a few trail markers above tree line, and they're white. White blazers and snow don't mix lol. All in all great hike lots of fun. Id recommend it to anyone in the area. cost 10$ to park your car.
     Post Number: 7
    double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2014, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You folks from Boston area? I was born in Brighton 50 years ago.

It is really a nice set of trails not far from The Hub. Way to go. Someone posted an awesome video of Katahdin in storytelling you should check out. I love my Rockies Region ranges but at times remember, and envy your deciduous paradise. Have a great weekend on that "Greatest Mountain." It is VERY special round the world let alone in New England! Hike on!

--------------
    We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
     Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2014, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(omgimant @ Jan. 26 2014, 9:58 am)
    Definitely need crampons, lots of ice to climb.

Check out Hillsound Trail Pro crampons. Reasonably priced, and a lot more robust than microspikes. They're a great cross between Alpine crampons and trail spikes.

--------------
    There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
     Post Number: 9
    GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't own Hillsounds, but came accross this thread. I understand no product is perfect..and it seems they have descent customer service, but check out this thread..

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23758

--------------
    www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
    author unknown
     Post Number: 10
    solowalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 7:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yea, i spoke to a few people at the catskills 3500 winter weekend and heard some bad fails with the hillsounds and people going back to microspikes and real crampons.
     Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2014, 8:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Jan. 29 2014, 2:37 pm)
    I don't own Hillsounds, but came accross this thread. I understand no product is perfect..and it seems they have descent customer service, but check out this thread..

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23758

The product they're showing are not the trail pro. The pro doesn't have chains, but are built like Alpine crampons with plates, (bot plates, at that,) and an adjustment bar. The primary difference between these and Alpine crampons is that they don't have long front spikes, and the metal is, admittedly, not as robust. But the sacrifice is negligible as I'm not kicking into ice falls.

--------------
     Post Number: 12
    GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2014, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

sounds good

--------------
    www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
    author unknown
    11 replies since Jan. 21 2014, 12:43 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mt Monadnock
    iB Code Buttons
    You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
    Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
    Track this topic
    View All Emoticons
    View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
    Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
    The Best Trails in America
    YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
    and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
    Full Name:
    City:
    Address 1:
    Zip Code:
    State:
    Address 2:
    Email (required):
    Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions