2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mt. Katahdin, I need advice on planning a tip.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Fatherof2 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2014, 9:13 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Gang,

First post here.

Hoping to get some input on planning a trip to Katahdin.

The kids are old enough to enjoy hiking. They really seem to enjoy it. We try everything, and hiking is something that they are always up for. Who knew? Love that. I want to keep it going.

I was hoping to plan a trip this summer that would include hiking up to Chimney Pond and staying for one night in one of the shelters. I know I need to book that ASAP, but I don't know what months would be ideal for that kind of thing. Is just about anytime in July & August a good call?

I have talked with the kids about the trip, and they are pumped on the plan.

I would appreciate any input or advice that anyone has on this plan.

Thanks all.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2014, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How old are the kids? Katahdin is a great mountain of the world, not just New England. Although not a technical summit the exposure on the ridges can be overwhelming to the acrophobic. A video was posted recently in some other forum somewhere? A really special experience.

I'm no New England expert but it would seem the later the better for bugs, no? You folks are going to have an awesome time.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2014, 8:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Double.

No intention of going up past Chimney Pond.
Maybe in the future.

Anybody stayed up there before?
 Post Number: 4
null Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

September would be a good time too.  Take the kids out of school on Friday and make a weekend of it.  Less bugs too.

No, I've never stayed at Chimney Pond though.

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
http://www.fitpacking.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
superhiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2014, 10:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have spent a couple nights at Chimney Pond and we loved it.  If possible, I would recommend September.  Generally more stable weather and cooler nights to chase away insects.  Easier to get reservations as well.  It is really a legendary place in Americana.  We actually spent two nights there, climbing the Mountain in between.  We went up Cathedral and came down the knife edge.  There are easier ways up and down, but it is a long difficult hike regardless and the weather can change on a dime.  We hiked up to Roaring Brook and spent a night after that.  While Chimney Pond was crowded, even the last weekend of September, we were all alone at beautiful Roaring Brook and, I think, we liked that even more.  We had moose stroll through our camp.

It is a pretty awesome place.  Enjoy.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2014, 8:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info Superhiker!

I am going to book something as late as I can in the summer / early fall.

About how long of a hike is it up to Chimney Pond if we are going at a slow pace? Do you happen to know?

Thanks very much,

David
 Post Number: 7
superhiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2014, 8:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First, allow me to apologize for mis-remembering the place we spent our last night.  Roaring Brook is actually the closest place you can drive into in order to hike up to Chimney Pond.  There is camping there, but mostly car camping.  I'm doing this from memory because my maps are not available to me right now, but I think this information is available on the internet.  
From Roaring Brook to Chimney Pond is only about 3.5 miles or so. But, it is a climb the entire way and the trail literally crawls along across boulders.  It can also be extremely wet.  I would allow a 2.5-3 hours to go up with kids if you keep moving.  
The hike up to the other site I mentioned is much easier on good, level track.  It is due north from Roaring Brook and has an Indian name I cannot remember right now.  Well worth spending a night if you have it.  There is a large pond near Roaring Brook also worth a hike around.  We saw moose on the water during our last visit there.
 Post Number: 8
NEexplorer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2014, 4:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Were you able to book a weekend? I'm taking my kids (9 & 11) up in late August. My luck has been there's a better chance at a cool, clear day at that time of year. I've been burned there with rain too much in June & July. But you never know.

--------------
Northeast Explorer - Northeast Travel and Adventure
Dan Mathers Freelance
Tao of Obstacle Racing
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
7 replies since Feb. 20 2014, 9:13 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mt. Katahdin
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions