2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Harriman, condition?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2014, 2:09 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Planning on doing an overnighter next weekend in harriman. I know the weather reports are calling for a significant amount of snow there on Sunday to Monday. Possible snow showers on Wednesday also. can anyone confirm the conditions there for me during the week...late week? I'm sure I will be fine with just micro spikes..will throw snowshoes in car just in case, but I would like a heads up on trail conditions before I get there if at all possible..Thanks.. :D

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
author unknown
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
2Dogs1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2014, 5:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some trails are broken others are not / the trails that are broken are iced over with extreme uneven post holes do to people not using snowshoes / unbroken trails have good crust of ice over a 12 to 24" snow base / I would advise carrying your snowshoes and useing crampons
This coming week will bring more snow and with the cold temps there will be No melt down / be prepared for sub zeros overnight temps
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2014, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ok, Gatcha. Not so worried about the cold temps. 2 of the people I am going with do not have crampons..they do have micro spikes. I would think they will be ok with the micro spikes, no? They will be renting snowshoes, should I advise them to rent crampons as well?

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2014, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Micro spikes will work you'll just be siding around alittle bit / you planning to stay on trail or off trail ? Right now all the lakes are crossable with approx 12 " of ice so you can get to areas that havent been accessable for a long time / Go stealth and stay away from those rat infested lean-to'so
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2014, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yeah...not 100% sure yet. Gonna see where we end up after a long day of hiking. As night falls we will make camp and go to sleep. Possibly at or near Big Hill Shelter, like I said though, depends where we find ourselves as night falls and we get tired of hiking/snowshoeing.  Honestly..I am **** scared of crossing any frozen lakes!!! When I was a kid we always crossed frozen lakes, played ice hockey on them and what not. My friend fell thru and I was the only person around within a mile or so..VERY SCARY situation for two 11 year olds!! He made it out alive, thankgod, but I have memories of the ice breaking, him dropping through and going under and as he tried to climb out, it kept breaking and breaking and breaking. Thankgod we werent deep in the middle of the lake and he made it out alive.  So, unless I am with an EXPERIENCED team, I most certainly will try to avoid crossing frozen lakes.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2014, 2:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry to hear about your Bad experience - You planning to go up Pingyp ??? If so I suggest at the least "CRAMPONS" for sure, the top slab will be loaded with ICE as it' faces West and is fully exposed (That's the only place in the park that's truly equal to the Cats & Dacks) / In fact to be safe I'd be carrying a rope, axe & Ice screws for that top section and know how to use them / One other thing be sure to hang your food, the Coyotes are seeking food anywhere they can find it.
Be safe
5 replies since Feb. 28 2014, 2:09 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Harriman
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions