2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: AT to Sunfish Pond, Deleware water gap area< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2014, 11:34 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Has anyone hiked this section from the gap to Sunfish Pond? I have mapset and I see there is a backpackers campsite in the general area but I am wondering about camping elsewhere near there. I wouldnt be building any fires and basicaly would just be pitching my tarp and throwing my bag down to sleep for the night. Curious how strict they are about overnight camping. Not like I would be camping on the trail either..a ways off more like it...

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
author unknown
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2014, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very strict. Only through-hikers on the AT one night at a time, and you have to be spending two nights. No fires, and, if they're really being dears, no hammocks. You might even look if there are reservations.

From the Nat'l Park Svc:

Within the recreation area, backcountry camping is permitted only along the Appalachian Trail and only for hikers on extended trips. An extended hiking trip is planned for two or more days, with camping occurring more then 1/2 mile from the departure point.

Here's the general guide book that lays it all out: AT Trail Rules

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 3
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2014, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Everything bigsilk says is true. I hike this section often and it seems that the rangers will allow you to do an overnight, sans fire, at the campsite with little problem. Groups of Scouts use it all the time. While I don't encourage it, I "stealth camp" in many places along that ridge, usually mid-week, no fires and leave no trace.

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness. Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 4
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2014, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Be also aware that the bear boxes and poles they have at the campsite are very necessary.

The bears are awake and hungry.  

Have fun!
3 replies since Mar. 26 2014, 11:34 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply AT to Sunfish Pond
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions