2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: ADK Loj - 2 Nights?, Looking for a little local knowledge.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Thatbakerkid Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2014, 7:31 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey New Yorkers,

Some friends and I are trip planning a 2 night / 3 Day backpack out in Adirondack SP. We'll be driving out from Ontario to the Loj as our trailhead, then heading towards the south side of Lake Colden for night 1. Just a few things I'd like to confirm...

1) No Backcountry Camping outside of approved lean-tos and campsites?

2) Bear Canisters required?

3) No permits outside of some park parking fees?

Just double checking as a lot of online info (summitpost, etc) is dated (2009-11), so I want to make sure nothing's changed.

Also, from Colden (a good trail crossroad from what I can see) we're looking for some views day 2. Marcy is there of course, but any locals able to recommend their preferred itinerary?

All insight is appreciated! :)

TBK

--------------
No matter how beautiful the strategy, one should occasionally look at the results.
My Blog about travel, backpacking and the universe.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
null Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 27 2014, 10:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not only are bear canisters required, but they must be Garcia type (although Bearikade my also be acceptable).  Do NOT bring BearVault canisters, they will be opened and eaten.

Also, no dispersed camping.

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
http://www.fitpacking.com
 Post Number: 3
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: May 27 2014, 11:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The answers you seek:

http://www.adk.org/page.php?pname=dec-regulations

In general:

1) Backcountry camping allowed, just no camping adjacent to designated camp sites
2) Bear cans required. I don't recall a ban on BearVaults. The bear that used to be able to open them is dead.
3) Parking fee at Loj (actually, the High Peaks Information Center, though everyone calls it the Loj). No permits.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: May 27 2014, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I, personally, like the view from Skylight better than Marcy.

A great loop from Lake Colden, if you're up for a demanding hike, would be Skylight, Haystack, Marcy.

Two route options from the Loj to Lake Colden:

1) Through Avalanche Pass (not to be missed)
2) Up and over Algonquin

If possible, take one there and the other one back.

--------------
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2014, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks guys, I can't see anywhere on the ADK site banning Bearvault cans (mine is a BV solo). Super appreciate the input.

WWBV: That's a good suggestion to take Avalanche pass there and Algonquin back. :) Will likely do so.

We're not averse to high-mile and gain days, so Skylight, Haystack and Marcy would be a nice loop for us!

What puts Skylight ahead of Marcy for you? Just the surrounding scenery or is the treeline further back up there?

--------------
No matter how beautiful the strategy, one should occasionally look at the results.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2014, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've used the BV Solo for years in the High Peaks and never had a problem. Take a little extra time and effort to stash it further from camp than everyone else. (That would be my advice regardless of the make/model)

The view from the highest peak typically isn't the best, as you're looking down at everything. IMO, Skylight also has a better angle of Haystack, the MacIntyre Range, and Colvin Range; and the south face of Marcy looms in the foreground.

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2014, 6:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great info. Thanks WWBV. Appreciate the local knowledge. :)

Will definitely take your recommendation for the route.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2014, 7:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To clarify the backcountry camping issue, the regulations do prohibit camping in the South Meadows-Flowed Lands Corridor (which encompasses most of the high peaks region in and around Marcy to Algonquin.)  See Section 190.13(b)(8) and 190.12(f)(5) which I've quoted at then end of this post.

HOWEVER, that restriction does not go in effect until  until such time "as the department completes its designation of such campsites within such corridor" which I don't believe has been done.  the proposed map has been around for a long time but has not yet been finalized.  You can find a map of the campsite designation plan here: http://practicaloutdoors.com/adk/maps/Overview%20Map.pdf

BTW - I don't think the corridor boundaries depicted on that map accurately reflect the written description in the regulations.  I don't know which was inteded to be the correct one, but I suspect it is the map because the written description doesn't seem to close upon itself if you try drawing it on a map.

5. In the South Meadows-Flowed Lands Corridor, no person shall camp except at a primitive tent site, provided that this section shall not be effective until such time as the department completes its designation of such campsites within such corridor, and provided further that until such time as the department completes such designation no person shall fail to comply with the camping instructions contained on any sign posted by the department.

8. South Meadows-Flowed Lands Corridor shall mean that portion of the High Peaks Wilderness Area which is generally located between the McIntyre Range on the west and Mt. Marcy on the east and between South Meadows on the north and the state land boundary on the south, and which is more specifically described as follows: beginning at a point on Heart Lake Road (County Road 34) which is one half mile north of the intersection of Heart Lake Road and South Meadows Road; then running easterly in a line that is one half mile north of and parallel to South Meadows Road until it reaches the end of such road; then running southeasterly in a line that is one half mile northeast of and parallel to the Klondike Trail until it reaches a point which is one half mile northeast of U.S.G.S. benchmark 2567 on the Klondike Trail; then running southwesterly in a straight line to such benchmark; then continuing in a southwesterly direction to the ridge line which leads to the summit of Phelps Mountain; then running southerly up such ridge line to a peak northeast of the summit of Phelps Mountain; then running the ridge line from such peak to the summit of Phelps Mountain; then running generally southerly along the ridge line leading from the summit of Phelps Mountain over the summits of Table Top Mountain, Little Marcy, Mt. Marcy, Mt. Skylight, Mt. Redfield, and Cliff Mountain; then running southerly following a straight line from the summit of Cliff Mountain to the point where Upper Twin Brook intersects with the boundary of state land; then running generally northwesterly along the state land boundary to the height of land of the MacIntyre Mountain Range; then running northeasterly along the ridge line to the summit of Mount Marshall; then running northeasterly along the ridge line from the summit of Mount Marshall over the summits of Iroquois Peak, Boundary Peak, Algonquin Peak, and Wright Peak; then running northerly in a straight line from the summit of Wright Peak to the southwestern corner of the Adirondack Loj property; then running easterly along the boundary between the Adirondack Loj property and the state land to the southeastern corner of the Adirondack Loj property; then running northerly along such boundary to a point which is due west of the intersection of Heart Lake Road and South Meadows Road; then continuing northerly along such boundary for one half mile; then running easterly to the point of beginning.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2014, 9:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ May 29 2014, 7:54 am)
To clarify the backcountry camping issue, the regulations do prohibit camping in the South Meadows-Flowed Lands Corridor (which encompasses most of the high peaks region in and around Marcy to Algonquin.)  See Section 190.13(b)(8) and 190.12(f)(5) which I've quoted at then end of this post.

HOWEVER, that restriction does not go in effect until  until such time "as the department completes its designation of such campsites within such corridor" which I don't believe has been done.

Yeah... like I said... backcountry camping is allowed.  :p

--------------
8 replies since May 25 2014, 7:31 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply ADK Loj - 2 Nights?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions