2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: White Mountain 4000's, New England< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2012, 4:31 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess I'm just trying to test the waters to see if their are any folks interested/already in process with hiking all the 4000 footers in the White Mountains (NH)?  

I have a couple hiking partners (my brother & sister), but they aren't always around on the weekends, and as I'm ramping up my obsession with hiking, I'm finding myself wanting to go more and more, and would do go alone, but obviously prefer some company.

I am also not opposed to trips that do not surround the 4000' list (I think it will be a fun accomplishment, but I'm more interested in just getting out more in general).

So I'm just throwing it out there if anyone might be interested!

P.S. And why does this website always show me as being offline?

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2012, 12:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have You Tried the Forums At Views From The Top? They have a trips/announcements forum.

http://www.vftt.org/forums/

I don't know if the AMC has anything similar. I don't know if that Whiteblaze place discusses day hiking much or not. You might just post in the Northeast Forum too.

Wave to the Camel's Hump from Moose Hill Ock for me.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 3
rikonen Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2012, 4:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I started doing the same this winter after taking a couple mountaineering courses in the whites. After experiencing the demands of winter mountaineering I plan on doing a lot of hiking up north this summer in preparation for next winter.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2012, 9:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

doublecabin: Thanks for the hot tip on Views from the Top.  

rikonen: I've yet to take on any of these hills in the winter, but will hopefully do that this coming winter.  Where did you take your mountaineering courses?  And what did you think of them?  Just curious...

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 5
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2012, 11:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eastie - Just noticed this thread. Do you have any White Mountain trips planned in the near future?
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2012, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vinovampire @ Apr. 23 2012, 11:13 am)
Eastie - Just noticed this thread. Do you have any White Mountain trips planned in the near future?

Nothing big set in stone.  For day hikes I usually decide last minute based on weather (and would be happy to give a shout here in case you or anyone else wanted to join).  As far as backpacking, I have yet to go on an overnight trip, and have joined an AMC backpack on the Long Trail in VT (6/30 - 7/1) and a one night backpack around Crawford Notch that I found on Meetup.com (811 - 8/12).  Both of these trips are geared to beginners, so that might be a little boring for you...

Anyway, I'm absolutely in for a day hike ANY weekend, or I'm up for a backpack anytime (would need to request time from work so 2 weeks in advance is enough) as long as you or anyone who wants to go, understands that it may be one of my first trips (so I might be asking some questions).

--------------
 Post Number: 7
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2012, 5:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those trips sound fun. Just out of interest, what part of the Long Trail are you visiting with the AMC? I'm guessing it's somewhere on the southern part of the trail.

I enjoy just about any excuse to get out onto a trail or into the backcountry. Since I use an ultralight setup (about 7 lb base-weight), my favorite type of trip is to drive to a trailhead right after work, do a short 2 or 3 mile hike into a camp, setup camp just before dark, and then wake up early and get a nice view or summit on Saturday, while everybody else is driving to the trail.

We should PM at some point soon.
 Post Number: 8
dancoleman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2012, 5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm actually planning on doing all 48 4000 footers this spring/summer.  Will be heading to the Zealand, Bonds, Twins, and Galehead over Memorial Day.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2012, 9:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vinovampire @ Apr. 24 2012, 5:43 pm)
Those trips sound fun. Just out of interest, what part of the Long Trail are you visiting with the AMC? I'm guessing it's somewhere on the southern part of the trail.

Sorry never saw that question.  The section of the Long Trail will be from Brandon Gap to Lincoln Gap Road.  About 27 miles I think.

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2012, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dancoleman @ May 06 2012, 5:09 pm)
I'm actually planning on doing all 48 4000 footers this spring/summer.  Will be heading to the Zealand, Bonds, Twins, and Galehead over Memorial Day.

All 48 this year?  Wow, I wish I had the time to take on something like that, but for now I'm a mostly weekend warrior.  Have fun and keep us updated on your progress!

--------------
 Post Number: 11
SnidelyWhiplash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2012, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey I know I'm a little late here.  I've been working on the 4k's for a few years, mostly 2-3 night backpacking trips, but day hikes are cool too.  I'm usually looking for a hiking partner, and can usually get away with a week or two notice even mid week, shorter notice for day hikes.  Shoot me a PM if you're looking for a hiker.
-Mike
10 replies since Mar. 19 2012, 4:31 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply White Mountain 4000's
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions