2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Backpacking the OT< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2012, 7:23 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have been working the Ouachita trail in central Arkansas from west to east and I am at mile 175. It ends near little rock at mile 223. It's far too hot now but I will get back on it in November and would like a partner if anyone is interested.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
brownmouse Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2012, 7:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That sounds really cool. I've only hiked little parts of that trail, and love those little parts. Scott and I won't be joining you, but I wonder - how's the water situation with the drought?

--------------
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees."   John Muir   1898
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2012, 8:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, as I mentioned, I won't be back on it until November. But the last 50 or so miles that I have to do have better water than the first 175 miles including two lakes. How do you know you can't join me in November? What sections have you hiked? Do you live in the region?

--------------
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2012, 10:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

oops.

--------------
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees."   John Muir   1898
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2012, 11:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oops???

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2012, 11:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LOL. My husband and I have other plans during that time.

I've hiked a few miles near Big Cedar Creek, into the Upper Kiamichi Wilderness. Also a very short hike off Hwy 71 (the ticks and chiggers drove me out). Also a few miles over by Oak Mtn Shelter. It is beautiful.

Hope you find that partner.

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2012, 11:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, if you do that's cool. Cyndi and I would like company. We will keep looking. The kiamichi is a great area on that trail, oak mountain as well. The Queen Wilhelmina lodge at the top of Kiamichi is fabulous to take a break, get a room, hot shower, good meal and awesome view at the highest elevation on the OT. Are you members of FoOT?

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2012, 11:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No. But I've looked into it. I like the area. Have fun!!

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2012, 12:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The OT is a really great 223 mile trail. It starts in Oklahoma and ends in central Arkansas. There are a couple of places that gain 12-1500 feet elevation in a mile or so. The western 50 miles are the most difficult. Within twenty miles you can stand with one foot on either side of the Kiamichi and Ouachita rivers headwaters, yet it is a rather lonesome trail.

In 175 miles, I have only met a couple other backpackers. But it's close to home. As I venture farther away, I hope to see more backpackers out and about.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2012, 1:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FYI, Queen Wilhelminia is closed I think till next March for remodeling.  I've hiked the Oklahoma side numerous times.  I really like the Kiamichi River section.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2012, 1:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(starwalker @ Jul. 20 2012, 1:41 am)
FYI, Queen Wilhelminia is closed I think till next March for remodeling.  I've hiked the Oklahoma side numerous times.  I really like the Kiamichi River section.

Good info SW.  That lodge is miles and months behind me now. You mean they can make it better? I agree that the Kiamichi is a wonderful area! And that hike from the Kiamichi to the Queen Wilhelmina lodge, what a hike!

--------------
 Post Number: 12
John Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2012, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FYI, Central Arkansas Water has closed a portion of the trail through their property for thinning of selected trees.  Mile points 211.5 to 214.   They expect to reopen it by November but check to be sure.  The complete notice is on the FoOT website.
Friendsot.org.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2012, 11:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(John @ Jul. 22 2012, 2:10 pm)
FYI, Central Arkansas Water has closed a portion of the trail through their property for thinning of selected trees.  Mile points 211.5 to 214.   They expect to reopen it by November but check to be sure.  The complete notice is on the FoOT website.
Friendsot.org.

Thanks John, I had seen that but it will be open by the time I get there. It's good you posted it though for others who may have been unaware.

--------------
12 replies since Jul. 19 2012, 7:23 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Backpacking the OT
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions