2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: I'm new to the Bay area! Backpack with me!, From SF to Yosemite/Sequoia/etc!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Reichar Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2012, 4:56 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi everyone!

So long story short, I just moved to the Bay area to go to grad school at Berkeley, and am looking for some backpacking partners.  I'd like to do weekend trips and the occasional extended trip.  So here's a few reasons why you should join me..

1) I have a lot of gear.  Basically if you have boots, a pack and a sleeping bag + pad, I can provide everything else for us to survive out there.  I even have a car with which we can transport ourselves and said gear!

2) There's so many great places to go around here that I haven't seen.. Yosemite, Sequoia, that Lost Coast thing everyone seems to be telling me about.. those Channel Islands down by Santa Barbara which are incredible..

3) I'm pretty chill, and not really picky about most things.  I just want to be out in the woods, doing something physical and seeing cool things.. just not alone.  

Just for the record, here's a picture of me from a recent trip to Zion to do the traverse.. best time of my 22 years of life, for sure.  

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Reichar Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2012, 5:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I forgot to mention.. I have a friend out here with an extra pack, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad.. so if you'd want to go somewhere and don't have that stuff, I could bribe him in some way to let you borrow it.  So you'd effectively need nothing..
 Post Number: 3
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2012, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What a grand opportunity for all the single women who are looking for a hiking partner instead of foregoing a trip because they don't want to go solo.

And spare equipment as well.  What a deal! What a way to get started too.

Sequoia/Kings are backpackers parks. The west side of Sequoia or Kings has minimal foot access to the park and has only a small part of the very west side open to vehicles.  Kings has a single road leading in to some spectacular but hard fought for trails and scenery.

Sequoia has a few western trail heads (as compared to the east side up US-395) with some long lead-in trails to some of the most inviting scenery in the Sierra.  Crescent Meadows is the start of the High Sierra Trail and, with undulations, is a short altitude gain to a base camp at Bearpaw Meadows.  From there you have a few days exploring up to Elizabeth Pass or toward Kaweah Gap and the lakes at 8000'+.  Tough to get a 2-3 day permit. Walk-ups probably better.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 4
benubuntu Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2012, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hi im an outdoor and nature person.  i've been doing a lot of camping but kinda new to backpacking.  ive been always wanting to do backpacking but it's kinda hard to convince people who doesnt like that sort of things.  in sept i was thinking of signing up with rei to an overnight backpacking just because i wanted to try it out.  let me know if you're still looking for a partner and if you don't mind going with new guy.  Thanks in advance.  p.s. if you want to talk or whatever let me know.
 Post Number: 5
hurstyc Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 03 2012, 10:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hey reicher my name is chris and i would love to join you in a backpacking excursion. I'm a some what experienced backpacker and all my trips have been with my pops. Unfortunately he's getting a little old and it's getting to difficult for him to keep up with me.  I currently live in the central valley so the next time your going through the valley to go mountains hit me up !!!
 Post Number: 6
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 03 2012, 11:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reichar @ Aug. 01 2012, 2:00 pm)
I forgot to mention.. I have a friend out here with an extra pack, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad.. so if you'd want to go somewhere and don't have that stuff, I could bribe him in some way to let you borrow it.  So you'd effectively need nothing..

Hi, I am Don in South San Francisco. A 62 year old  gay male with plenty of backpacking experience and can still out hike most people who are half my age.

I was planning on going solo to complete the trip I started last year, but couldn't then because of the heavy July snow on the ground (not kidding!). See here for info. about that trip.

If you might wanna join me, let me know. I too have enough stuff for an extra person if not two. I plan on leaving for this trip in about two weeks and stay out in the bonnies for about a week.

I also carry both a Spot Messenger and my new Delorme  In-Reach for any possible emergency.  I also bring my Thrive7, so I can send and receive E-mail messages from Tom (see my profile) and others. I can add anybody you wish to the list if you wish to join me, in case you wish to keep contact with others with E-mail via satellite.

BTW, I have backpacked Zion many times, mostly in the La Verkin Creek area.

If interested, you may e-mail me at:

DonTom3@aol.com

-Don-

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 7
irishman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2012, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife & I are going to the Emigrant Wilderness for two nights this weekend if you are interested in joining us, we live in the east bay......check out my post for more details: http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1159307
 Post Number: 8
egk559 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2012, 3:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello all. I am probably considered a rookie as I have just regained my interest in hiking, but if you are ever heading out to the Sequoias or Yosemite I would be interested in joining up for a hike. Please let me know of anything that comes up!
 Post Number: 9
aussieboy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 7:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi
I am trying to get permits sorted for a multi day trip to Yosemite at the end of the month, check out my thread in this forum, if your keen for a busy few days including a climb up half dome let me know.

--------------
There's only one way to find out!
8 replies since Aug. 01 2012, 4:56 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply I'm new to the Bay area! Backpack with me!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions