2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: This weekend in the emigrant wilderness?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
irishman Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2012, 1:17 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi,

My wife and I are leaving on Saturday from San Francisco for 1-2 nights backpacking in the emigrant wilderness, length of the hike will be about 14 miles if we do one night or 23 miles if we decide to do 2 nights.

Anyone interested in joining us?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2012, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I cannot edit my original post...but here are a few more details:

The plan so far is to leave from Walnut Creek driving to the emigrant wilderness this Saturday, arriving at the trail head before 12pm (I will pick up permits en-route) and spending 2 nights hiking & camping on a 20 / 25 mile moderate loop trail.

Here are some photos from the trail: http://www.flickr.com/photos/palojono/sets/72157606097536010/show/

We are hoping to do some great hiking, enjoy beautiful scenery, enjoy a campfire & watch the Perseed meteor shower which will be happening this weekend.

A little about us:

My wife and I are long time nature / outdoor people however this will be our first time backpacking / over nighting in the wilderness. We are both working professionals, very easy going, drama-free & calm people - we are looking for individuals or couples who are the same.

Want to go?

Please let me know a little about yourself & your previous outdoors experience. Do you have your own transport?
 Post Number: 3
benubuntu Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2012, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi, Maybe the next time you guys go I might join you.  I'm new to backpacking but I go camping all the time.  I've been trying to convince my wife to go backpacking but I have not yet succeed.  Since I am also calm, drama free person and also like to enjoy nature it might be a good idea to join you.  It's really hard to go with people who's been doing this for 5+ years or more.  I am IT guy and would like to get out and enjoy nature whenever I can.  Thanks for the post.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2012, 8:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Ben,

We are both a little apprehensive about the trip, having never done "proper" backpacking before....but also looking forward to the many challanges. Venturing out with others who are also new to backpacking would probobly be more fun - as we are all on the same level, not holding any hardcore types back.

My wife is extremely worried about bears at night so having company would be welcome, phycological feeling of safety in numbers :D

We are hoping to do another trip on the weekend of the 16th - somewhere within a few hours drive of the bay area, ideally a wilderness area & perhaps in the sierras for 2 nights if your interested.

I also work in IT on the development side of things :)
 Post Number: 5
lasdinaub Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Irishman!  I thought I'd let you know about a one-night trip my husband and I are doing in a few weeks to help us get back into backpacking. It is put on by Tahoe Rim Trail Association, and details can be found here:
TRTA Backpacking 101 trip

Although we didn't feel like we needed the whole "class" experience that this 1 night trip offers, we hope to meet some people to go BPing with regularly in the Tahoe/Sierra area (we live in Auburn). We took a 20 year break from it to raise our two kids, and I can't wait to get back into it!

--------------
Back to BPing after 20 years off  :D
 Post Number: 6
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 10:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(irishman @ Aug. 09 2012, 10:17 am)
Hi,

My wife and I are leaving on Saturday from San Francisco for 1-2 nights backpacking in the emigrant wilderness, length of the hike will be about 14 miles if we do one night or 23 miles if we decide to do 2 nights.

Anyone interested in joining us?

I wonder if you have any idea what 23 miles is when backpacking. Often looks like nothing on the map, until you try it. A map mile is usually a lot farther  than a real mile if there are a lot of hills, as there usually are. Are you experienced with topo maps?

If you don't know the area, you might be in for a big surprise to find out what even 14 miles can be like in a day, or even two.

Just a warning that you might not get nearly as far as you expect (since  say you have not done an over-nigher before).

Oh, I now see this message is a bit late. So how did it go?

-Don- SSF, CA

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 7
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(lasdinaub @ Aug. 11 2012, 6:20 pm)
Although we didn't feel like we needed the whole "class" experience that this 1 night trip offers, we hope to meet some people to go BPing with regularly in the Tahoe/Sierra area (we live in Auburn). We took a 20 year break from it to raise our two kids, and I can't wait to get back into it!

I live in South SF as well as Reno, and I will pass by Auburn in a few days when I go from SSF to the Reno home. On or around the 20th of this month, I am going backpacking, for about six or seven days, in the Tahoe National Forest. I want to finish this trip that I tried last July, unsuccessfully because of the deep July snow.

The year before, I went here, which was my first solo trip.

The last couple of years I went backpacking solo, but if you will like to join me, perhaps we can work something out. I will be free in a few days until September 2 or so. I can go a bit earlier or later than the 20th. And can go a little shorter or longer than 6 or seven days, but most of my backpacking  trips are more than five days in the boonies.

I am an experienced backpacker,  I have been doing it for more than 40 years, but I can still learn a thing or two.

If you have any interest, you may e-mail me at:

DonTom3@aol.com

-Don-

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 8
lasdinaub Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2012, 9:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don - Thanks for the invite to join you.  I won't get a chance to get out , except for the TRTA class trip in 2 weeks, until after Labor Day.

I also need to see how I do carrying a pack, since I am out of shape, very slow, and recently sprained a knee. I'm hoping that I can go shorter distances with no issues, but we'll see.

--------------
Back to BPing after 20 years off  :D
7 replies since Aug. 09 2012, 1:17 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply This weekend in the emigrant wilderness?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions