2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Partner Yosemite in Sept., Seeking experienced backpacking partner< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TrailHiker59 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2012, 10:45 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just finished a 3 day hike near Hetch Hetchy/Yosemite with my 20 year old son.  Now I am hooked.  But just don't have any friends who backpack. I hope to go back and explore the area further, but really do not want to face a bear etc. , alone. If you have some experience and are interested in having a trail partner, let me know.  We did a difficult hike and averaged only 6 miles/day, but I am content catching up at intervals.  I am 59 yo, but kept up with  my son, and am in pretty good shape.  I am open to hiking other wild areas too.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Judy71 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2012, 2:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm interested in completing the JMT from Reds Meadow to Yosemite Valley ASAP, before bad weather.  I started in the middle at Muir Trail Ranch August 9th and left the trail at Red's Meadow August 19th after about 9 days of rain. Can do 5 miles a day--maybe more downhill. Was hiking with sister who had to go back to work and husband who is having knee and foot problems. I am 71 and would like to finish this half of the trail this year.
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2012, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Judy71- That's a rather well travelled route so you might consider solo if another option doesn't arise. Perhaps with the addition of a SPOT Communicator type device so your sister or others could keep track of your progress and there'd be a "help" signal available were it necessary.

http://m.rei.com/mt....nicator

IIRC those are available for rent similar to how personal locator beacons like the ACR ResQlink is.
http://m.rei.com/mt....-beacon
 Post Number: 4
TrailHiker59 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2012, 9:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Judy 71,  I do not think I could accompany you all the way from Red Meadows to Yosemite, as I could only get away from work, from a Thursday through Sunday - possibly Sept. 27th-30th. But it might work to hike with you part of the way.  I am looking on the map for a side trail out before Tuaolome, so I could hike out early.   Maybe  you could email me directly to let me know if this is something that might work for you?  fishermarn@aol.com, thanks!
I just did a very relaxed hike with the Sierra Club up in Stanaslaus Nat. Forest that was really nice. Not sure how the weather will be so late in Sept..
 Post Number: 5
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2012, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Sep. 15 2012, 10:22 am)
Judy71- That's a rather well travelled route so you might consider solo if another option doesn't arise. Perhaps with the addition of a SPOT Communicator type device so your sister or others could keep track of your progress and there'd be a "help" signal available were it necessary.

How come you didn't mention the Delorme inReach?

-Don-  Reno, NV

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 6
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2012, 10:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailHiker59 @ Aug. 19 2012, 7:45 pm)
I hope to go back and explore the area further, but really do not want to face a bear etc. , alone.
I think more people run into bears in Yosemite than anywhere else in CA. If you want to stay away from bears, stay away from backpacking in Yosemite!

-Don-  Reno, NV

--------------
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2012, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DonTom @ Sep. 15 2012, 7:45 pm)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Sep. 15 2012, 10:22 am)

How come you didn't mention the Delorme inReach?

-Don-  Reno, NV

Exhaustive lists of electronics aren't my thing (I also didn't mention every model of SPOT or PLB available): I thought I'd introduce the concept, with some limited examples and let, if interested, the individual make their own choices.
 Post Number: 8
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2012, 7:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Sep. 16 2012, 9:03 am)
I thought I'd introduce the concept, with some limited examples and let, if interested, the individual make their own choices.

I just thought it would be a good idea to mention the in-Reach because of the true two- way communications, unlike the other units you mentioned.

-Don-

--------------
7 replies since Aug. 19 2012, 10:45 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Partner Yosemite in Sept.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions