2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Whitney Training for 2013, So-Cal Hiking Partner< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Paul2000 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2012, 12:36 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok so I'm new to backpacking...always wanted to do it and just never did. So, to launch this new endeavor I'm training for a trip up Mount Whitney in Spring/Summer of 2013. I need the time to get into shape. Been doing a lot of training hikes around where I live but (wore out one pair of boots already) now I need to begin scheduling (training) hikes at higher elevations and schedule a few one or two nighters to break in my gear (which I don't have yet).

So, looking for someone experienced who's willing to share some knowledge and also make a new friend. I'm married with some little ones and I can see the age of 50 in the near future but not too near.

The wife likes to hike sort of but she's not interested in backpacking at all.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2012, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Would be nice to know where you are located.

Be sure to scan the FITNESS forum as well as ask for places to hike in and around where you live in the SOUTHWEST FORUM.

Other places to look for local hiking buddies is:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewforum.php?f=1
http://www.trailspace.com/forums/ (especially TRIP PLANNING)

and of course the Sierra Club - hiking forums.

You can even check out your local A26 or REI bulletin boards.  

If you go on some of the weekend hikes you will have a great chance to find somebody who might have exactly the same idea is mind.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 3
Paul2000 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, didn't expect a reply so quick and hadn't checked back in awhile.

Anyhow, I'm located in the San Diego area. Been training at Cowels mtn, fortuna, iron mtn, and cuyamaca.

I'll look at those other forums tou mentioned though...thanks a bunch.

Would like to put in one or two trips to San jacinto peak...to hike from the tram to idyllwild or visa versa.
 Post Number: 4
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For overnight back packing planning, many overnight hikes can be 'scoped' out with day trips.  Most can get as far in on a day hike as they can carrying a pack.  Only difference is the back packer doesn't have to return that same day and can press on farther the next.

This may seem obvious. As an example, most of the trails into the Sierra from the east (US-395) get you to a nice overnight spot with a day hike.  You can spend a long weekend day hiking promising opportunities.  

Makes the first overnights less daunting if you know what you are getting into.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 5:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For summitting Mt. Whitney there's a very competitive permit lottery system:
http://www.recreation.gov/permits....d=72201
 Post Number: 6
roughhikerman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Whitney is a great overnight hike.  I hiked it in one day up and back in my younger years (about 10 years ago!).  Not recommended but it was fun!  It is not a bad climb so not to worry. Enjoy yourself and take your time! The view at the top is worth the hike.  Do not let the narrow path as you hike along the spine to the final climb to the top- just do not look down! Ha.  Get an early start to the top from your camp to avoid possiblity of lightning at the top as it is wide open up there and you will be the tallest object! I would like to go again someday but unfortunately can not make it in 2013. Enjoy!

"The reason most people find it so hard to be happy is that they aways see the past better than it was and the present worse than it is."
 Post Number: 7
SniperShrew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Paul2000.
I noticed your posting and was wondering if you were still looking for some company on your training for your Mt. Whitney adventure.
I am currently living in Temecula Ca. which is about an hour away from Idyllwilde.
I enjoy hiking but by no means am I an expert.
But if you are open to having someone still come with you I would be more than
happy to go train with you.
I have always wanted to go but did not want to go by myself ( especially on my first attempt).
What kind of time frame were you thinking of. ie.. what month were you going to do this and how many days?
Send me an e-mail at cwildjmc@yahoo.com so we can discuss this a bit more.
Thanks .
6 replies since Sep. 02 2012, 12:36 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Whitney Training for 2013
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions