2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Yosemite october 23rd-28th< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
aussieboy Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 8:02 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will be in USA from the 23rd october and don't have to be in Las Vegas until 29th. Am looking for someone to join me for a few days hiking from Yosemite Valley-Toulumme Meadows + side trips. Anyone keen? would love to have some local knowledge along for the trip.

--------------
There's only one way to find out!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Keep in mind the Tioga Road closes to overnight parking on October 15th without regard to weather.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2012, 4:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, new plan, I will be taking the JMT from Yosemite valley to half dome then on to echo valley via bunnel point. then on to sunrise and back to yosemite valley the long way around via sunrise lake Tenaya lake and olmsted point. Anyone keen? Will be a very busy five days covering between 12-15 miles a day.

--------------
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2012, 8:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Sep. 20 2012, 2:31 pm)
Keep in mind the Tioga Road closes to overnight parking on October 15th without regard to weather.

Is it closed only for overnight parking?. I was planning on leaving my car at yosemite valley but am having trouble finding out if there is any shuttles still running at that time of year back to there.

--------------
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2012, 3:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(aussieboy @ Sep. 22 2012, 5:58 pm)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Sep. 20 2012, 2:31 pm)

Is it closed only for overnight parking?. I was planning on leaving my car at yosemite valley but am having trouble finding out if there is any shuttles still running at that time of year back to there.

Just for overnight, they don't want cars trapped up there until June or July of the following year. The road isn't closed to traffic until the snow causes it to be closed.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm

The Yosemite Area Regional Transportation System, the regional bus system that runs a bus over Tioga Pass on 120, halts that service at the end of September.
http://www.yarts.com/about.html

The other bus alternative is the concessionaire's Tuolumne Meadows tour/hikers bus which I believe has already stopped for the winter but its best to check by contacting them. I'd expect if they run it at all it would only be weekends.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/tuolumne-meadows-tour.aspx

The Valley shuttles loop at the east end of the valley run all year so descending, say, the Yosemite Falls trail would be within the running loop back to the Curry Village backpackers parking lot.
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/valleyshuttle.pdf

The appropriate edition of the Yosemite Guide paper will have a lot of pertinent visitor services information:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/guide.htm
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 6:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, so as it stands at the moment the plan is.
24th Get away from happy Isles as early as possible and head straight to Half Dome(weather permitting)and back to LYV campground for the night. 12.2miles
25th, Early start to Clouds Rest for lunch and then on sunrise for the night. 12.5 miles
26th, Sunrise to Merceed Lake via echo point, short day at 8.5 miles
27th Merceed Lake back to Happy Isles 13.2 miles
Camp at Happy isles and then on to vegas (reluctantly)
I am open to anyones thoughts and advice, if there is anything better to see please let me know your opinion.
Anyone else keen for a walk?

--------------
 Post Number: 7
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good luck with that. I'm backpacking on the coast.

i'm sure you'll find it gorgeous and scenic, if not cold. Careful of ice on the granite parts of the trail, there's forecasts for subfreezing temps and precipitation.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 1:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

October can be tricky so watching the short term weather forecast is a good idea as your trip gets closer: 2004 was a spectacular extreme of that. A former co-worker was one of the 4 from SF that were rescued from 6 feet plus of snow depth from the one storm that hit out of Ansel Adams south of Yosemite by a helicopter the next day...

http://www.utsandiego.com/uniontrib/20041021/news_1n21missing.html

He went back for his gear the next July and had to dig down through snow to get to it....
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2012, 3:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With only 7 days before i arrive everthing is on track and the weather looks to be holding just nicely. Thank you to everyone for all your advice and assistance especially High Sierra Fan.
Just hope I can get to Yosemite valley to sort permits before they close onTuesday so I can be on the foot as early as possible wednesday morning.
Anyone else going to be in Yosemite around these dates?

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2012, 9:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Forecasts indicate varying chances of snow, which can easily increase in the next week.

Be careful out there.  Don't forget your snow chains/cables. The park requires vehicles to carry them this time of year. If snowflakes are falling and you are driving up into the park they'll turn you around if you don't have them. (I've had this happen - I knew the amount of snow was so minimal I didn't need them, but, the park ranger had different ideas.)

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2012, 10:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HEIGHTS FALL RAPIDLY AHEAD OF THE TROUGH WITH TEMPERATURES FALLING  
 BELOW NORMAL BY SUNDAY AND DROPPING FURTHER INTO NEXT WEEK FOLLOWING  BEHIND A COLD FRONT. HIGH TEMPERATURES MAY ONLY REACH INTO THE 50S  AND LOW 60S IN WESTERN NEVADA AND 40S TO LOW 50S IN THE SIERRA  MONDAY THROUGH THURSDAY NEXT WEEK. IT IS POSSIBLE SNOW LEVELS WILL  DROP TO AROUND 5500-7000 FEET NORTH OF INTERSTATE 80 AND 7000-8000   FEET SOUTH OF THERE, WITH SOME MODELS ACTUALLY INDICATING THESE  COULD BE EVEN LOWER. THIS COULD AFFECT TRAVEL ACROSS HIGHER SIERRA  PASSES MONDAY THROUGH THURSDAY OF NEXT WEEK, HOWEVER, IT IS STILL  TOO EARLY TO DETERMINE ACCUMULATION AMOUNTS.

Sounds like winter is nigh. I was hoping to get one more high elevation weekend, but it's looking like a trip to the coast again... not ready for snow yet.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2012, 2:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Watching updates every time i walk past the computer and it seems that it is getting a little better each time but I know that can change at a moments notice.
This is the site I am using and checking reports for elevations of 6300ft and 8700ft
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic....1611327
Is this the best one to use or is there a better one for Yosemite?
Its going to be hard to adjust to that kind of temp considering that it is about 34 degrees c or about 93f today in Brisbane.
I am hoping that the bad weather gets there sooner rather than later so it clears up enough by tuesday afternoon to allow me to get in, would be a shame to miss an opp like this BUT, If it all goes to hell and I cant drive in to Yosemite valley is there a shuttle or bus or some other kind of tpt that I could use and is there anywhere to leave a car that would be safe outside the park?
Question overload I know but any help would be very much appreciated..

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2012, 9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What you will do if it snows and you have no chains, and there is a requirement for chains, is to "get stuck." This is why the park service REQUIRES people driving into the park after a certain point to have snow cables or chains, and ask at the gate when you enter. We've gone hiking in the park and carpooled a group, and had cars in the caravan turned around by rangers when it's snowing for not having cables. You're supposed to be prepared for this stuff when visiting in winter.

If you're riding the YARTS or some other bus company the bus will have chains. The free shuttles don't leave the park.

The forecasts are actually progressing from the last time I checked - a 1-3 inch accumulation will close the pass and probably last a while, and tho the chance of snow is dwindling to 20% by Wednesday... it's the weather. It can change and often does. You should go prepared for the worst and hope for the best - it's not going to be clear. The valley floor will be at the very least wet with rain, which will melt the dusting of snow it'll likely get on Monday.

Usually you don't need to put on chains in the valley and I wouldn't expect to given the snow level is expected to be 6000 and higher - but, as I said, you need to be prepared.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2012, 12:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's going to be snow: rather a lot of it most likely...

http://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap....warning

"URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE...CORRECTED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RENO NV
406 PM PDT SUN OCT 21 2012

...FIRST WINTER STORM OF THE SEASON EXPECTED ON MONDAY...

.EARLY SEASON WINTER STORM WILL MOVE INTO NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AND
NORTHERN NEVADA EARLY MONDAY. THIS WILL BRING GUSTY WINDS...RAIN
AND SNOW TO THE REGION. MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ARE
EXPECTED IN THE EASTERN SIERRA FROM LAKE TAHOE NORTH INTO WESTERN
LASSEN COUNTY...WITH LESSER ACCUMULATIONS IN THE HIGH SIERRA OF
MONO COUNTY. THIS STORM HAS POTENTIAL TO IMPACT MOUNTAIN ROADS AND
PASSES WITH SLICK AND ICY CONDITIONS.

CAZ072-NVZ002-221300-
/O.CON.KREV.WS.W.0006.121022T1300Z-121023T1800Z/
GREATER LAKE TAHOE AREA-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SOUTH LAKE TAHOE...TRUCKEE...
INCLINE VILLAGE
406 PM PDT SUN OCT 21 2012

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM MONDAY TO
11 AM PDT TUESDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW AND GUSTY WINDS REMAINS IN
EFFECT FROM 6 AM MONDAY TO 11 AM PDT TUESDAY.

* TIMING: EARLY MONDAY MORNING THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: 10 TO 18 INCHES ALONG THE SIERRA CREST
 ABOVE 7000 FEET...4 TO 8 INCHES BELOW 7000 FEET.

* WINDS: SOUTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 50 MPH. RIDGE GUSTS
 OVER 100 MPH.

* SNOW LEVELS: AROUND 6500 FEET FALLING TO LAKE TAHOE LEVEL.

* IMPACTS: HEAVY SNOW WILL CREATE HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS
 MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT AROUND THE LAKE TAHOE BASIN AND SIERRA
 PASSES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

CONDITIONS CAN DETERIORATE RAPIDLY DURING WINTER STORMS...SLOW
DOWN AND ALLOW EXTRA TIME WHEN TRAVELING. CARRY TIRE CHAINS...
FOOD...WATER...BLANKETS AND A FLASHLIGHT IN YOUR CAR IN CASE OF AN
EMERGENCY. CHECK OUR WEBSITE AT WEATHER.GOV/RENO OR LISTEN TO NOAA
WEATHER RADIO FOR UPDATES ON THIS SITUATION."
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2012, 6:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

mmmmm, would have been rather nice of it to wait a week or so but guess thats just the way it goes. Well guess all I can do is head up tha way and see what conditions are like come wednesday and take what comes.
I have to stop in Fresno on tuesday and pick up the order of supplies I have wiating there at rei and then decide where to go from there. If the weather comes good then I will just have to shorten my walk by a day or two and just take what I can get. At least I will be able to make use of the gear I have packed for just such an occasion.. And if it all goes to hell and the weather gets worse then I wil just have to find somewhere else to go. I have 6 days and unlimited kms on the rental car so maybe I will get to see more countryside then I had planned.
In the words of one of our famous bushrangers.."Such is life"

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2012, 9:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The weather's not going to be "good" anywhere in the Sierra.

It's raining in Fresno. It's raining on the coast. It's raining in low elevations and snowing above 6000 feet.

YAY, WINTER IS HERE!!! Next weekend, Santa Cruz!

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2012, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you can't arrange snow chains you might want to explore using YARTS out of Merced to get to the valley.
16 replies since Sep. 20 2012, 8:02 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Yosemite october 23rd-28th
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions