2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Denali in the Spring ALASKA!, casual backpacking< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
CincyGuy Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2012, 2:04 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey everyone.   I recently moved to Alaska and am dying to explore this magnificent landscape.  Since I am not hard core enough to camp when it's 30 below zero I will have to wait until spring.  But come late April or Early May I plan on hitting Denali.  

I am a friendly guy, age 37 with a quirky sense of humor.  I am NOT as hardcore as most other folks on this site.  Meaning I pack heavy and hike very slowly.    So if you're the type who can cover 30 miles a day we are probably not a good match.   hahaha
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2012, 9:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't forget to thoroughly research the area you're heading into and take plenty of bear spray.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/hours.htm

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 3
Ketoka Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 8:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can kind of count on the park opening mid-may AlmostThere has the link to when they think its gonna happen.

I suggest you learn how to Cross Country ski.  Plenty of opportunities to get out and see what's around you this winer.  There are places you can go on skis which are not so accessible in the summer because of moisture, willow and other things.  If you get somewhat proficient at skiing you can cover distances faster than you can hike so that means you can go farther. There are Nordic ski clubs which can help you learn and meet people who will be hikers in the summer.

Best of luck and enjoy your stay.  Its a great land.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
roughhikerman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2012, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good advice to research where you are going. Remember that you will get wet and cold and most dangerous will be the stream crossings after a rain- they can become fast and high. Read up on all information on hiking in Denali before headling out.
 Post Number: 5
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hopefully you're hard core on your navigation and survival skills. ;)

Interestingly, I was just reading a few blogs posts on a nice adventure in Denali.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
4 replies since Oct. 21 2012, 2:04 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Denali in the Spring ALASKA!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions