2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: John Muir Trail 2013, Hiking Partner< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Loren Mauch Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 11:34 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am planning to hike the JMT in 2013. Probably north to south in 2-3 week. I am 50, an experienced long distance hiker, and looking to slow down a bit. This year I hiked 180 miles on the JMT from Mammoth Lakes Duck Pass trail head to Whitney in 9 days, averaging 20 miles a day.

I'll wait to see the snow pack this year to set dates for my trip.

I live in California, in the central valley and I am also looking for a hiking partner for shorter backpacking trips in the Sierras.

Hike On!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Nolswfr13 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 2:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am a 33 year old female looking for a trail partner for the JMT this summer.  I am an experienced backpacker with my WFR and guiding experience. I am a teacher, so my dates are flexible this summer and I am thinking of a 25ish day timeline to allow for layover days.  I want to experience the JMT, not just run through it and do so with someone I enjoy spending time with.  I am based out of Las Vegas.  Please reply if you think we would be a good fit.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Nolswfr13, I'd be interested in chatting with you more about the JMT in 2013. We can chat here or you can email me at lorenmauch@gmail.com Hike on!
 Post Number: 4
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 11:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is really refreshing to see folks looking at hiking as more of an aesthetic than athletic endeavor. Have an AWESOME trek ladies.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Time constraints and the real world can put a crip on things but for one of the great art museums of the natural world savoring the experience when you can is something I completely agree with.
 Post Number: 6
Susanne Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 3:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Loren,

JMT is on my list.  3 weeks would be my pace, at least at this point in time.  Are you still seeking hiking partners?

I just turned 55, pretty fit, but need to focus on reducing pack weight --- starting with the pack itself.  However, planning on retiring April 30th, so constant activity will not be a problem ---  focus on increasing strength and endurance --- currently just hiking on weekends when opportunities arise.

Not sure of my retirement plan yet, but it will include lots of hiking.  See posting under ol-zeke's request for a hiking partner (1 -2 weeks west of the Rockies) for list of hikes I have done etc.  
http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1162173

Susanne
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 10:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Susanne,

I am still looking for a hiking partner for the JMT for this year. I'm tentatively planning on the 4th or 5th of August as a start date. Not sure I will spend a full three weeks on the trail but I don't want to rush either. Let me know of you want to chat more about hiking together. You can reach me at lorenmauch@gmail.com

Loren
 Post Number: 8
Susanne Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 5:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Loren

Haven't been on the site for over a week, but just sent you an e-mail.

Susanne
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 2:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Susanne,

I didn't get your email...or it ended up in my spam folder and I deleted it by mistake...oh my! Either way, please try again! lorenmauch@gmail.com

Hike On! Loren
 Post Number: 10
iggies Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Loren and All,
I am an experienced day hiker, but making the transition to backpacker, so I'm a newbie. I live just East of the Central Valley, near Sonora (but work in Stockton). It's about an hour outside of the Big Oak Flat entrance to Yosemite for me. You mentioned you might be seeking a partner for some hiking trips in the Sierra. If you don't mind a newbie tagging along and learning, I'd be interested in going with you. I would also like to do the JMT, but I haven't decided when. I need to get some experience under my belt with backpacking before I can make that determination, but I'd love to be ready for an August trip. The problem for me is getting off work. I'm 42 and in good shape, but like your approach of taking an enjoyable pace. Thanks
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi iggies!

I would be interested in hiking with you. I plan a few day hikes and over night trips when the snow melts in the high sierra. You can find my email address in previous posts or click on my profile and it will give you a link to send me an email.

Hike ON!
 Post Number: 12
GoWest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 10:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For what it's worth, my daughter (21) and I (53) are planning a thru-hike (N-S) of the JMT on about Aug 17-Sept 8 taking three weeks. We haven't done the JMT, but have hiked elsewhere.
We'll be flying in from Atlanta and are still looking for the best way from the airport to the Yosemite trailhead, and  of course still need to get our permit.
We're not necessarily looking for partners, but if anyone wants to join up and share shuttles, resupplies, or camps, let us know.

--------------
Kiss my days, light up my nights.
 Post Number: 13
Susan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 4:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am looking for someone to thru hike the John Muir Trail in late August/September.  I have done some backpacking in the Tetons, Big Bend and the smokies but am not very experienced - 61, fit and have a good attitude.  I am flexible on the dates and am willing to do SoBo or NoBo.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 6:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Susan. That's two late for me. I have to be home by August 23rd for a family event. If you are planning on hiking the JMT that late in the season, you will enjoy fewer people on the trail, no bugs, and hopefully an easier permit process. But be prepared for the fact that daylight hours will be getting much shorter, it may be colder, and some services including public transportation may be limited on parts of the trail. (I'm thinking Yosemite and the Devil's Postpile area.) Resupply may also be an issue at places like MTR or VVR. You'll have to confirm with them. Have a great hike. You will love the JMT.
 Post Number: 15
Susan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 8:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Loren,  thank you for your kind reply.  I guess I haven't done enough research.  I thought later would be better.  Better rethink this.  Thanks again.
 Post Number: 16
kccruiser67 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 7:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello All,
I'm new to hiking and would like to learn by getting out there with some real hikers.  I'm currently overseas but relocating to SoCal and Central Valley CA in August.  Looking to try a few short hikes and work my way up to something moderately challenging.  I've got the desire to head up to Montana (Glacier) or even over to Arizona to try this out.  Appreciate any advice and if our schedule matches, please send me an invite.  Although I'm a newbie, I'm in great shape and determined to learn.
Thanks!
 Post Number: 17
GaryP4321 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 9:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

for Resupply there is this.

http://johnmuirtrail.org/resupply.html
16 replies since Nov. 06 2012, 11:34 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply John Muir Trail 2013
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions