2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 1-2 weeks, West of the Rockies< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 6:52 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In some ways, this feels like an ad on Craigslist, looking for a date.  :)

So, here goes.  I am searching for a partner or 2 to hike with between mid-July and Sept 15th.  I would prefer to go out for 5-7 days, then in town for a day or so, then back out for another 5-7, if we end up spending 2 weeks in the BC.

I am 61, and have extensive backpacking experience.  So much that I will list the areas I am willing to go back to: Glacier, Yellowstone, Teton Crest, Yosemite (really liked Kerrick-Matterhorn loop as well as Red Peak Pass), Evolution Basin (N. Lake to S. Lake), Rocky Mt. N.P.  

New places will also be considered, but elevation and time of year must be considered.  I am willing to hike 8-10 miles a day, but if 3-4000 ft gain is to be expected, I will be slow and stopping about 5-6 hours under pack, regardless of the miles covered.

Most of you know me, so for those who may not, please feel free to PM me for further discussion.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

wholey kwap, someone is looking for a hiking partner.

I need to overnight or two night Dunanda Falls again. If you were psyched on the Bechler maybe I could ferry you from Old Faithfull to the Bechler RS and just go out on my own so you and your partner could head to Mr. Bubbles and then OF. I also think I need to do Mt. hunt Divide again.

Whatever you do have a blast man.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 3
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I have to do a solo trip, I will probably be headed your way to do another Crest trip.  Maybe we could do another dinner?  

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All I can say is have a great trip, but why all the uber crowded NP's ?

There's far more to see in our Wilderness Areas/ National Forests !

Much less crowded, no permits and as good/ better scenery than a NP. .

Crestone's, San Juan's, Wind's , Beartooths, etc..

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 5
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 11:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am not ruling out any place, just listed some of the places I have been and am willing to return to at this time of year.  

BTW, I have not found any of the places I listed crowded at all, and have had no difficulties in securing a permit for them in the past.  

--------------

Post Number: 6
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 8:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Lee-Metcalf Wilderness near Bozeman has a number of good loop backpacks and a few point to points.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 7
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 4:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Dec. 28 2012, 5:52 pm)
In some ways, this feels like an ad on Craigslist, looking for a date.  :)

Best line ever
 Post Number: 8
CubsFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think I have that much time, but if you end up going anywhere in Northern Colorado let me know and I'll see if I can tag along for a night or 2, depending on where you are.
 Post Number: 9
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 6:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Will do.  

--------------

Post Number: 10
Susanne Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello ol-zeke,

I'm not on this site too much, but am ready to do a ton of exploring --- Female, 55, NOT looking for a date :-), ready to retire before June 30th, possible April 30th, not sure of the order of my plans (S. America, Himalayas, Europe, and the western half of N. America, particularily BC inside-out)  --- but there will be lots of hiking, particularily in the first few years while I know my body can handle what I want to throw at it.

Always looking for hiking comrads, so I'll be watching this post, and hopefully in the next couple of months have a rough outline of retirement plans (I do like BC in August and September)

Backpacking experience:  (to name a few)
Thru BAckpacker.com --- Aug/Sept 2009 --- Maroon Bells with a great group of people I met for the first time.  
Thru ClubTread.com (under Del Sol )and other clubs in BC --- WestCoast Trail, Robson/Berg Lake, Yoho Iceline Trail et al, Mt. Baker area, Cathedral Lakes, part of the Stein Valley and lots of day hikes
Other:  In Nov 2009, Inca Trail and Salkantay in Peru (and carried a full pack)

If you do come up to BC, you might want to try contacting (sign up) a few of our clubs to find hiking partners.  Two on-line ones are ClubTread.com and Wanderung (both free).  3 others I belong to cost $

Susanne
 Post Number: 11
SomethingBlue Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I plan to be in the "Winds" for about a month from August 15 to September 15. The first two week I will be with my wife and son then I'm on my own. Your welcome to join the family or meet me after I drop them off. I'm 62 so a slow hike is fine with me.

First two weeks we plan on going to Deep Lake then?

--------------
"Every man dies, but not every man lives."
 Post Number: 12
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 9:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Im in the backcountry for all of July, August, and first 2 weeks of september.  Also take 4 day weekends in june and late sept/early oct.  Your more than welcome to join in on any of our trips if your in the area.  However, im primarily focused on the following areas:  Yellowstone, Absorkas, Winds, Beartooths, Glacier NP, High Uintas of Utah.  On the map thats Evanston to Whitefish, and sometimes a dip into idaho.  We do have several long trips planned already.  Most of the time about 7 days long.  There are a few others that travel with me, including some who post on this site.  Im getting into filming my trips, so our mileage is no longer big.  We do a lot of offtrail though, and climb peaks.  Nothing you wouldnt be able to handle though.  You can send a pm if you want more info.  Enjoy yourself, ive enjoyed your post over the years

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 13
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 9:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks to you both.  I will keep this in mind.  Summer is beginning to shape up.  

--------------

Post Number: 14
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just an FYI it looks like Normal precip into May but then drying out in the Southrn GYE. It might be a decent year to do the Bechler before August/Sept. Hope the weatherman is wrong but it might be another bad fire season.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 15
OldKansan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been thinking of trying a Teton Crest trip this year, but haven't worked out many details. Never done that area before.

Arranging schedule is always an issue, but if I had some more specific plans I always seem to find time to do what I really want.

Also 61 (in a month). If you want to talk further let me know.
14 replies since Dec. 28 2012, 6:52 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 1-2 weeks, West of the Rockies
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions