2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Grand Canyon in May, Need a partner with a permit< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tarbubble Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 10:34 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First, HELLO!  I used to be very active here a million years ago, but fell off the earth for a while.  

I know this is a crazy long shot, but I failed at getting a permit for the Canyon in May.  I'm hoping someone here has a permit with two spaces on it, or that we could possibly beg, plead and cajole the Backcountry Office to allow two more people on a permit - after all, the big problem is the limited number of campsites.  

I've been down the canyon at least eight times, but the real reason I'm so eager to get down there this year is I have a friend who has never even seen the canyon and she's really eager to finally see it and backpack it.  All we want is to share a permit - we will pay for our share and possibly even your share of the permit costs, too.   We'll keep to ourselves on the trail and even in camp if that's what you want.  

We're self-sufficient, fairly fit (both runners, although admittedly lazy runners).  If you let us in on your permit, you won't regret it.  

Thanks for reading!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JonW Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think today is the first day that you can call NPS to ask about available routes.  Call them up and see if anything is still open.
 Post Number: 3
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 12:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarbubble @ Feb. 01 2013, 10:34 am)
I know this is a crazy long shot, but I failed at getting a permit for the Canyon in May. áI'm hoping someone here has a permit with two spaces on it, or that we could possibly beg, plead and cajole the Backcountry Office to allow two more people on a permit - after all, the big problem is the limited number of campsites.

I assume, from this, that you're looking for a corridor hike?

If you're willing to be flexible, you may still be able to get a permit for a different itinerary.  You can email the backcountry office at grca_bic@nps.gov.  (Today may not be a great day since it's the first of the month.)

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 4
tarbubble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry for not being specific enough.  My friend would love to do a rim-to-rim-to-rim.  I've done that before and had a blast.  I sent in my permit application for May but did not win the lottery - I submitted three different itineraries and had flexible dates, but was just flat out unlucky.  

Thanks for the suggestion to contact the BCO and ask about openings.  I've always been lucky and gotten a permit for one of my requested itineraries, so I am totally ignorant about what I can do after failing!
3 replies since Feb. 01 2013, 10:34 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Grand Canyon in May
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions