2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: IMHO, people should set up a group hike, group hike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
frmertd Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 8:03 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think every year in the summer, this board should set up a group hike of like 8 people. Just MHO. It seems like people post a hike, then people agree, but they aren't sure. I'm sure people are concerned about meeting people on the internet, then going into the wilderness with them. All of this could be obviated by a big group hiking experience.  I was looking into doing this with the Sierra Club but it's pricey. There must be people here willing to just get together and have a group hike.
   There are some people on the board that live in unique places that are great for hiking (ie: montana, wyoming, colorado) and they could be the leader.  Just an idea.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to do this every summer.  It was generally a pain and time consuming mainly because some people make committments with later priorities that trump those plans.

Also it wasn't quite as popular an effort as you might think.

We had a hotel in Independence, California that was more or less central to the 'outing' to store gear, cache food, and provide over night accommodations for those that needed them.

We'd set up 3 different hikes of 2 nights each and one that was a 60 mile trudge with car shuttles taken care of.  The trips covered about 9 days all told so that people could come in on two different weekends and during the week.  It also provided a chance for them to get a look at a few different accesses to hiking regions on the eastern Sierra along US395:  Cottonwood Lakes, Kearsarge Lakes, Bishop Pass area as well as a Horseshoe Meadows trail head trip that could include Mt Langley, Mt Whitney from the west (this one didn't), Mt Tyndall and a trip along the High Sierra for 6 days exiting at Onion Valley.

The cost of setting this up was minimal.  There was a $2 trail fee to each to cover registering the hike.  The transportation to the trail head was on their own hook as were tents and food and other equipment.  We only provided the venue and some competent trail guiding.

There were several who were willing to loan out equipment for the newbies that didn't have quite all they needed yet.

It happened, but it took a lot of admin, pleading, begging and coercion to get it to happen.  

And we had two unplanned extractions due to altitude.  Both worked out just fine.

The organizers were at some risk as we didn't ask for waiver of penalty.  I'd certainly do this now.  Sierra Club does it. They are an Organization/Society/Club with substantial management and leadership.

It was set up to give 4 different experiences for those who had never been in the area; were new to backpacking or wanted more of an 'education rather than an adventure; and for those who wanted a hardcore experience of a multi-day strenuous back pack touching two National Parks.

People don't flock to something like this as much as one would expect.  For one thing, everybody has to agree on a specific time.  Because there is a long lead time to get trail head reservations, the participants have to make a commitment many months in advance.

I'm always happy to have new people along on most trips I take.  I get tired telling the same lies to people who have heard them before.

In the past there have been several efforts open to most:

9 days on the Wonderland Trail on Mt Ranier.

One to the Canadian Rockies that included Yoho Glacier and a few other overnights as a 'shotgun' trip.  Scattered to the winds.

One to Colorado Near Buena Vista into the Missouri Basin of the Collegiants  for 4 days.

Another in Colorado to Conundrum Hot Springs near Aspen.

One to Grand Canyon over New Years.

Several just for the women to various places.

So activity has happened.  Most of the 'ol gang' have apparently moved on however.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry it took so long to reply, ive been working. Its funny listening to your reply, you remind me of something about backpacking in general. Isnt it true that in civilization, there are all these stressors? Hotel ,transportation, flight, parking, will my car get broken into at the trailhead? All these time consuming stressors that kind of defeat the purpose? I mean i dont know abo.
ut you but the whole purpose of the trip was to destress myself, right? But then when you have planned all the logistics andtake that first step out of "civilization" all your stress goes away and its all simple! all you have to think about is getting to point b, food, shelter.
  That may have been stressful leading and organizing a trip but it was admirable of you.  Ive organized some things and it is a pita and people can be needy and ungrateful for the work you did.
 And the whole permit thing is stupid in my opinion. They are public lands, you shouldnt have to go thru the gestapo to get a permit to go on public lands. That wasnt how Teddy Roosevelt envisioned our parks system when he set it up. It was supposed to be for the people.
   Do you have any experience proffesionally guiding? You sound experienced. Keep in touch, my email=frmertd@yahoo.com. if u were interested, i would have no problem hiring you to do this stuff.
  I could hire you as a guide and we could set up a trip. Then advertise it here for free. If noone but me went, that would be fine. But if other people wanted to go, awesome.
I have a nice job where i can take off whenever i want and love to backpack.
I know a lot of people that i think want to do a trip, but they dont want to go alone because of bears and other safety issues. I also dont want to pay 50bucks a day for a rentacar that will be parked at tge trailhead for a week.
If you ever have interest in setting up a particular group trip, maybe somewhere you have wanted to go but havent been, Send me an email, i can hire you proffesionally as a guide and ill see if i can get anyone, we can just put it out there that anyone is welcome to come , yada yada. Tx
 Post Number: 4
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're interested in the Southern half of Greater Yellowstone let me know. I tired to organize a trip for September 2012 and had significant interest, but a family situation arose for me. Yeah, life happens.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 5
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I lead a hike just about every weekend through a local meetup.com group. The fact that I'm a licensed guide probably helps people overcome the fear of "internet predator" because they can look up my credentials at the New York State DEC website.

But I have security concerns when someone new signs up for a hike.  I have no way of knowing if they are the next "hiking group strangler."
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 4:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, security, its an issue. Especially for girls. I once metup with someone i never met before on the board here and went 2 colorado. My wife thought i was crazy and his friends thought he was crazy. But we met up, were pretty normal people, and had a great ,great time. But then, im 6'3 and do amateur boxing. It was probably worse for him because i stay off facebook and all that stuff so he had little to research me by. But if anyone wants to lead a trip , im up for it. Location not important, i can fly anywhere. I once flew to new zealand for a hike so in the states, not a big deal.Id rather not pay the sierra club $1500 for 5 days of hiking.
 Post Number: 7
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 6:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We set up the original "internet backpack" online here back in, what? '97? '98? 5 women, 3 men in the Smokies. 4 days

Grand Canyon '99 1 week
Crested Butte to Aspen (when?) 3/4  days
Wonderland Trail around Rainier in '01. 9 days.

Those are just the ones I participated in. It's not uncommon.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hiya Wolfie.  '01.  Its been that long?  WOW!  I had to confirm it with the Team T-shirt.  That was one of the best trips.  Thanks again for the memory.

Any plans this summer?  I'm booked in July and (probably) 1st week in Aug.  But have car, can travel.

frmrtd:  Thank you for the good words.  Maybe we can get a few to go with us sometime. I need to shed a few years and pounds to go faster.

Deborah (Rockies Forum) and the active hikers in the Denver area schedule things at least amongst themselves.

As you can see there is some sporadic planning.  Just needs more interest such as yours to get it started again.

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 11:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Name the place and time and ill be there. Have frequent flyer miles ,will travel. I just got a new backpack and cant wait to use it!
Nothing would make me happier than to get some kind of annual trip going. I have almost done a few sierra club trips but just cant seem to get myself to pay $200 a day to just backpack. I would prefer not too much time above 11,000 feet, as i got sick once higher than that, but 11,000 and less is fine. Lifeis short.
Problems i could see would be : 1)people backing out at last minute and 2)beginners and really out of shape people showing up with 90 pound packs.
For the first problem you need 3 people (im one) who are the rocks of the group and are no doubt going to show. Then if people back out ,who cares? 3 isplenty. As i said before , i am willing to hire and pay for a proff guide to come, they can help with beginner issues, and be one of the "rocks" of the group.

For the second, you just have to have a rule that packs have to be 30 pounds for beginners, and ill bring a bunch of moleskin. And you have to have a good attitude about beginners. You can't be patronizing, or accuse people of ruining the trip.
The terrain of it is important. It must be simple, a seven day loop is perfect. Nohotels or other complexities. Seven days on the trail. I prefer tent sleeping to cabins because cabins require reservations and permits and there you have added an unnecesary complexity. Simplicity is the key.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The theoretical perfect trip would be: one proff guide, a 6-9 day loop. At between 7-11,000 feet. Terrain that goes up and down. Tent sleeping , or a cabin system that doesnt require much permitting.  Id also like to not travel>4 hrs from a major airport.
If this got off the ground, i would do this every year, it would be great.
But trust me, the trick to this would be no complexities. No hotels. No complex permitting.  Nothing that throws any kind of monkeywrench in the trip.
 Post Number: 11
JonW Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

try http://neohbackpackingclub.com/home.aspx - most of their hikes are in Pennsylvania, WV, MI, and NY.

But there are plenty out west and even international.
 Post Number: 12
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 10:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Drew Furnia. http://www.eyehike.com/modules.php?name=rainier
I took him on his first Wonderland trip (mentioned above and Speacock met him then) and he kind of went buggy over it, now trying to BP it once a year I think.

The Wonderland Trail, 93 miles all the way around Mt Rainer, is considered by many to be the single best backpacking trail in the lower 48.
------------------------------------
Not too much planned at this point Steve, except a camper trip in July or August to YNP and/or Glacier and/or Grand Tetons with an "old" lady friend (we've been friends since '81) 'cuz she doesn't hike. She's never been in this part of the country and wants to spend a week or so seeing the region. Where exactly is open.

I'm holding off on BP trips right now 'cuz my 16½ YO dog can't go anymore. She gave me a lot of years going everywhere I went in the B/C (excepting places she wasn't permitted) so I figure a few years waiting for her end and keeping her company is kind of a payback. When she does die, I'll head out for 2-3 weeks.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 4:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was spoiled when around a college mountain club.  One could put together a team of a botanist and a geologist to be the brunt of the what's and how's.  For the evenings you would want to include a philosopher and an astronomer for the where's, why's and whens.   Now THAT is a guided trip.

Most people can find their own way on a trail in the Rockies, Cascades and Sierra.  Interesting company is the goal.

I ask how fit they are (if new/unknown).  Would be nice to be with those who can jog/trot for 20 mins and still carry on a conversation.  I am not so concerned about their experience where I'd take them.  They can go off on their own while up there and get as scared as they can risk...so long as I have gear salvage rights.

As getting out there becomes more popular and affordable, trail loading restrictions are usually enforced for a variety of reasons.  Getting a date that accommodates enough of the people who would go is the main complexity.  All the rest is individual and personal. The remainder of the glitches usually work out on their own.  Most people don't go on a long trip if they are scared of the night or creatures. A good food and equipment checklist also helps to make it a memorable trip for all.

Most who have not been out west in the mountains are a bit taken aback when they have to walk up hill for two entire days and then down hill for the next two. Some are mentally not prepared for that if it hasn't happened before.  That sorts out the 90# packs, the couch potato, and the squeaking gate hypochondriac early on.

Those who can do it with a good sense of humor and willingness to press on, are usually what you would like to start out with but certainly end up with.  Which is good.

frmertd, having had an unpleasant run in with altitude does not portend that you will have the same problem next time.  Usually a person will find they are starting to have problems well before 11,000'.  Except, for example, on the east Sierra where many of the trail heads start above 9,800'. Everybody is affected by altitude.  Most forget about it after a couple of days when the body figures out it is really not in eminent danger.  Well, most recall where they are topping that 12 or 13,000' pass.  Diamox does a pretty good job of reducing some symptoms.  I'd caution against using it prophetically.  It is a nice feeling of an ace in the hole if you have it in a pack pocket.  I have Cheyne_Stokes syndrome and take it to sleep for the first three nights out at high altitudes.  Otherwise I can only sleep for as long as I can hold my breath.

For me, it is a bit late in the game this year to start something.  But 2014 starts in February when some trail quotas are open for reserving.

The trip of a lifetime starts by suggesting some places to go, then rounding up enough to make it interesting, then agree where and when.  Then open it up to the rest.

I'd suggest and would go along on Sierra or Rockies (exclude RMNP) end of July first half of August if a lot of new to the sport wants to go along.  Eastern Sierra about 4 hours from Ontario, 4 hrs from Denver gets a lot of very nice stuff.   As does Montana's major airports and Calgary, CAN.  

Next is to find out level of interest.  Then a specific area followed up with a trail registration - if needed.  Then you have 6 months for the details and to get fit.

Bruce, let me know when you plan to be in Y.  It's close (6 hrs) and would be good to see you again.  I have a lot of new lies to pass on.  Sue and your friend could watch the bugs and traffic.  We could take a day hike or couple.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

May not be good if you DO have altitude issues, but you can fly into Aspen and be on the trail in a couple hours. Free permit, and no hotel or car needed. TH is 9400' though and you sleep above 10K first night. I did a week there 2 years ago. Trip report
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 15
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 12 2013, 3:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I organize backpacking trips year round, doing a lot of them this year. Never have issues that have convinced me to do otherwise. Never take more than 5 - 9 people at a time. My trips often start with 20 people signed up and end with 4. Not a problem for me. Any more, it's a rare trip that doesn't have many people interested.

No monkeywrenches other than occasional work related stuff on my part... if something doesn't work like the weather or road, we just pick a different location and go anyway. I never have permitting issues even when going to Yosemite. You have to learn the system and work within it, is all.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: May 12 2013, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SPeacock @ Apr. 26 2013, 4:45 pm)
Diamox does a pretty good job of reducing some symptoms.  I'd caution against using it prophetically.  It is a nice feeling of an ace in the hole if you have it in a pack pocket.  I have Cheyne_Stokes syndrome and take it to sleep for the first three nights out at high altitudes.  Otherwise I can only sleep for as long as I can hold my breath.

Diamox has its own side effects and is potentially dangerous if you are allergic to sulfa based drugs - like me.

Fortunately, I don't have issues with elevation.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 12 2013, 6:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Almost there, let me know if you have anything open after August 1st. (work/family responsibilities) I can usually fit in a weeklong trip. Unlike other people, I will show up if I say I will.  I'm in decent shape but use a very light pack so can usually keep up with normal people. email any time: frmertd@yahoo.com
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Almost there.. Why Diamox is an Rx.  Somebody is supposed to ask that question.  Always best to give any new drug that you will be taking (e.g. 3rd world country) a tryout at home.  A week before you get on the road should give you enough time to see if any stranger than normal side affects .

It is a diuretic, so sleep loss can be expected; some affect to your taste buds, primarily with carbonated beverages.  There are others.  Read the pamphlet that comes with it and always query the pharmacist.

It is also a drug for control of some types of epilepsy   Don't want to double up on any other similar prescribed medications.

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 10:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(frmertd @ May 12 2013, 6:36 pm)
Almost there, let me know if you have anything open after August 1st. (work/family responsibilities) I can usually fit in a weeklong trip. Unlike other people, I will show up if I say I will.  I'm in decent shape but use a very light pack so can usually keep up with normal people. email any time: frmertd@yahoo.com

If you want a calendar for a hiking group, go join it. That's why I set up the calendar. For the hiking group....

We have lots of trips all year. Both my groups are on meet up.com

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 10:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SPeacock @ May 13 2013, 3:41 pm)
Almost there.. Why Diamox is an Rx.  Somebody is supposed to ask that question.  

People don't always go to the doctor. If you were on a trip with a group, and someone had issues, and someone else said "I have Diamox" - I could see that going really badly. You think most people will have the sense to not take other people's Rx, but I find that "most people"'s common sense goes out the window in unexpected, unusual circumstances.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Almost
Yep.. Especially seems many leave common sense in the car someplace before they 'get away from it all'.  All the dumb things people do or don't think not to do.  But that doesn't hold just in the mountains.  Almost all of the deaths from Sandy storm could have been avoided with a $60 bus ticket that took them 100 miles west.

The leader(s) of a group have to be vigilant and aware of the surroundings and the skill, hutzpah and maturity of the people with them.

Always an adventure with somebody new along for a few days.

frmertd
Here is a link to check out in another forum:

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/trip-planning/topics/144995.html

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 10:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ May 16 2013, 10:32 am)

(frmertd @ May 12 2013, 6:36 pm)

If you want a calendar for a hiking group, go join it. That's why I set up the calendar. For the hiking group....

We have lots of trips all year. Both my groups are on meet up.com

Coming back to this, and looking at it again - it wasn't intended to be rude.

I get people asking me to let them know ALL. THE. TIME. when I am going again. If I did that I would be spending all my time emailing people!

There are hikes EVERY WEEKEND on my group's calendar. It's easier, simpler, and makes more sense for anyone to simply join hiking groups - there are many of them! It makes it simple enough to find a group - we have had people coming to California from all over the world join for a while, to take advantage while they are in the area.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 01 2013, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

almostthere, I'm looking for your calendar but unable to find. can you point me in the right direction?? tx
 Post Number: 24
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 01 2013, 6:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will tell you the secret to getting group trips going with the people who frequent these forums.  Participate.  It is that simple.  Participate in your region forum, participate in the Trailhead Register.  Participate in the gear forum and the cooking forum.   Get to know people.   I have lost track of the number of trips I have been on with people I met through this forum.  How many people have I met?  Ohhhh probably 300ish, many have stayed at my home and I have stayed at the homes of some, including SPeacock and Montanalonewolf.    

Participate and get to know people.   It might not happen this summer, but if you really want to you can get a trip going for next year.

Good luck.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2013, 9:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's not that simple, otherwise I would have met more than three people from this forum by now.

Participate and be absolutely charming and fake to people. Being blunt, honest and sometimes tired when posting gets you nowhere. I can't pretend to be as sweet and wonderful as other people here are, and since the offline experience is often very different than the online persona (see below)....

I really have no time to rack up posts - I enjoy forums, but I post only where I feel I have something to contribute to a conversation - posting just to build relationships takes away from relationship-building aka networking for work opportunities, and also from real friendships and relationships in my life.

When people say "be yourself" and your self isn't so appealing to 100% of the people out there, oh well. Out of luck. Especially if you can't afford to fly out of state to a get-together. Looking for people in your town who want to travel is hard; looking for people willing to travel to your area to backpack is hard.

I join hiking groups on meetup.com. It gets around all that searching. People join groups based on what they are interested in doing, so it's a self selecting bunch of prospects.

While I can't say backpacking with these groups is uniformly great I am surprised to note that 98% of my experiences have been awesome, and when I started running my own, I was able to come up with fair ways of screening backpackers that increase the odds. Day hiking with people to talk to them first helped a lot. People who enjoy my company and my trip planning come back to hike with me again and again, and the ones who don't care for me have other organizers in the group to hike with more often. It all works out that way.... I've made some very good friends of the sort who stand by you when stuff happens through these groups. I've also met some folks who have a great online facade who are just a$$hats in person, who I'll never waste five minutes of my time with again... it ain't real until you're standing in front of them. They don't tell you about things like knee braces, the dining room chair they had strapped to their pack... occasionally you get a backpacker who flat out lies about their depth of backpacking experience just to get on an awesome trip you're planning.

It's just as mixed a bag as in real life. Sometimes tho you can use the internet to screen a little better.

Posting online to hike in groups is sort of like online dating, only more successful....

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 26
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 8:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Jun. 04 2013, 7:29 am)
It's not that simple, otherwise I would have met more than three people from this forum by now.

Participate and be absolutely charming and fake to people. Being blunt, honest and sometimes tired when posting gets you nowhere. I can't pretend to be as sweet and wonderful as other people here are, and since the offline experience is often very different than the online persona (see below)....

Obviously it does not work for you.   My response was directly to the guy who wants to organize a group trip of forum people.   My suggestion still stands for that scenario.

One can be honest without "fake charm"  And it's interesting that you have seen very different personas from people online and in person.   I have found the opposite.   Maybe my "jerk radar" is better than yours.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 9:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Deborah @ Jun. 05 2013, 8:42 am)
One can be honest without "fake charm"  And it's interesting that you have seen very different personas from people online and in person.   I have found the opposite.   Maybe my "jerk radar" is better than yours.

Maybe it's better. Maybe I've organized 250 hikes in the past six years, from 5 - 30 people per hike, and met a heck of a lot more people than you.

Everyone is still on that famous bell curve...

I have about 150 people who are still hiking with me, too. That doesn't happen when you have folks all over the map. Local groups rock. You can go out for drinks and plan the next one.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 28
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 9:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it just depends on your personality.

I think I come across as being blunt, dry and demanding online and in emails.  My son tells me that when I contact his teachers that I've never met about his work/grades, they worry for him because I come across as this really strict parent.

And everybody always assumes I'm a guy.  Probably of the alpha-dog variety.   :D

In real life, I'm actually really shy and pretty laid back, though I'm definitely not a girly-girl.  It's really difficult for me to find people to hike with and it's probably because I'm too shy to ask and not much of a "joiner".  I have, nevertheless, hiked with a few people I met online and they've become good friends.  In fact, I don't think there's anyone I originally met online who I've gone out of my way to meet in person that I found to be completely different from what I expected.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 10:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BTW, I no longer link to my hiking groups in this forum.

I had to have a link removed before - someone from the forum joined the group and immediately started harassing me, and had to be banned from our group.

So, yeah. Not too thrilled with advertising in forums.

The trip I did do with people from here was very nice, even though one person didn't make it all the way to the destination and it was more than 100F ... The bad part is, have not seen any of those folks again due to circumstances - moving, getting different jobs, thru hiking - so again, having your options open and building local relationships is the key to having a happy hiking habit that gets you out there 5+ times a month. Which I have. It's also gotten me work opportunities, networked me into some other possibilities, and opened up the world of Search and Rescue that I never believed I would be able to do.

Go out with folks from the forum - they'll like you better than me, I'm sure. I'm a little too serious about this hiking thing, I think. of course... the ones I did hike with joined my group, tho they don't participate due to the long distances involved and being busy with other things... so there's more to it than being likable.

Clearly.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Jun. 05 2013, 9:58 am)
I think it just depends on your personality.

I think I come across as being blunt, dry and demanding online and in emails.  My son tells me that when I contact his teachers that I've never met about his work/grades, they worry for him because I come across as this really strict parent.

And everybody always assumes I'm a guy.  Probably of the alpha-dog variety.   :D

In real life, I'm actually really shy and pretty laid back, though I'm definitely not a girly-girl.  It's really difficult for me to find people to hike with and it's probably because I'm too shy to ask and not much of a "joiner".  I have, nevertheless, hiked with a few people I met online and they've become good friends.  In fact, I don't think there's anyone I originally met online who I've gone out of my way to meet in person that I found to be completely different from what I expected.

I think we probably have a lot in common...

No one thinks I'm a girl, even people who hike with me. Well, they kind of figure it out, but one of the things I notice is that all the other girls get asked out a whole lot more... good thing I don't care and aren't really looking for that.

I'm actually kind of at a loss for what to do with the 60+ people who show up at our Christmas party... small groups are better for me.

I'm usually not what people expect at all.

The folks who do show up and are different than expected have some things in common: deceptive profile pictures, more motivation to hike than their bodies can live up to, and skewed expectations. One of the issues with this sort of thing is if you don't ask questions and just show up, it truly is a roll of the dice what you get. Our very first backpack as a group was the capper of all trainwrecks - the vast majority of them since have been wonderful, since we now are very clear about what we expect up front. The group doesn't plan the trip - one person does, and invites the group along, and people self select into it. That tends to get folks going who don't have the time to do planning.

There are two ways to do it - look for hikers to make friends with. Or make friends first, and try to hike with them. I've had much better success in going on hikes, making friends where there's compatibility (of friends as well as hiking styles), and then planning hikes that appeal and inviting them. Something for everyone that way, and then no one feels like they are holding anyone else up.

I'm told that I can sound angry online - well, that's just funny. I'm not a particularly angry person. Not really that quick to anger, not reactive - can't be, to work with depressed and oppositional defiant kids.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
34 replies since Apr. 16 2013, 8:03 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply IMHO, people should set up a group hike
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions