2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim, Looking for R2R2R hiking partner/s< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
expanj Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 03 2013, 6:53 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi! I'm looking for a hiking partner to do the Grand Canyon rim to rim to rim.  I was hoping to do it in September/early October, but my hiking partner had to bail on me and I still really have my heart set on the trip.  It's a 51 mile hike, takes about 20 hours. Quite an adventure! Anyone interested?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
carmenlong Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2013, 9:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi,

I've done R2R2R a couple times and several times R2R...I'm not planning to do it again this year but perhaps in 2014 as I would like to give it a shot running vs just hiking.  Either way is a butt kicker but rewarding experience.

You can try adding your post on this Facebook page and hopefully you can find a reliable partner.  The name of the group is Grand Canyon R2R2R! Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/82250424315/

Best of luck!
 Post Number: 3
DIYMark Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 2:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have planned trip Sunday Oct 5th (2013) North Kaibab to South Bright Angel...but not back. Have hotel reservations on both sides. Not exactly what you wanted but close. I have Sag support....my wife will drive from north to south. Not sure it will scratch your itch but if there is interest let me know.
Mark
 Post Number: 4
RedDoug Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 8:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am thinking about doing this hike in early Oct but want to like 5 days to do.  I'd like to start on the north rim and camp at the bottom/half way up the south slope/on the south rim/at the bottom/ and then out/somewhere on the north slope coming out.  Maybe a very slow pace, but I am in no hurry.

Exact dates not set yet.  I am retired, 64 and have the time.

--------------
Everything is in Walking Distance
 Post Number: 5
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RedDoug @ Sep. 18 2013, 8:07 pm)
I am thinking about doing this hike in early Oct but want to like 5 days to do.  I'd like to start on the north rim and camp at the bottom/half way up the south slope/on the south rim/at the bottom/ and then out/somewhere on the north slope coming out.  Maybe a very slow pace, but I am in no hurry.

"Time" is easy... backcountry permits, not so much.

October permit lottery was May 1st.  To score a walk-in permit, you may need to spend a week at the rim inching your way up the waitlist line.  Rangers patrol the corridor camps for permits every single day and will make you hike out if you don't have one.  Just an FYI.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 6
RedDoug Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 5:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Sep. 19 2013, 11:12 am)

October permit lottery was May 1st.  To score a walk-in permit, you may need to spend a week at the rim inching your way up the waitlist line.  Rangers patrol the corridor camps for permits every single day and will make you hike out if you don't have one.  Just an FYI.

Wow- May 1 to get a permit for October.  Wow!

Maybe I'll just hang out longer in Zion and Bryce.

--------------
Everything is in Walking Distance
 Post Number: 7
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 5:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RedDoug @ Sep. 19 2013, 5:10 pm)

(TigerFan @ Sep. 19 2013, 11:12 am)

Wow- May 1 to get a permit for October.  Wow!

Maybe I'll just hang out longer in Zion and Bryce.

I misspoke... the October lottery was June 1st (i.e. 4 months in advance.)  Sorry!  Though it wouldn't make much difference at this point.  October's prime hiking time at the Canyon.

There's great hiking away from the corridor trails that may still have permits, especially if you're going to be on the North Rim.  Try giving the Backcountry Office a call(928) 638-7875 or email grca_bic@nps.gov.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 8
frmertd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe I am weak and cowardly, but I could never go R2R and definately never R2R2R. I went down 5,000 feet to the river and my knees were killing me. Never again. The idea of descending 5,000 ft, then ascending 5,000 ft in one day. No thank you. You R2R people have fun, me , never.
 Post Number: 9
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2013, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First time I did R2R, I witnessed how serious the rangers are ref. a camping permit.

A 3-generation non-camping-permit family group (oldest approx. 70, youngest approx. 12) were ordered around dusk to start hiking out (from Indian Gardens).

Nice thing about doing R2R's (without camping)  is that no permit is required.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 10
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(frmertd @ Oct. 18 2013, 9:49 am)
Maybe I am weak and cowardly, but I could never go R2R and definately never R2R2R. I went down 5,000 feet to the river and my knees were killing me. Never again. The idea of descending 5,000 ft, then ascending 5,000 ft in one day. No thank you. You R2R people have fun, me , never.

And? You came to a hiking partner thread to talk negatively about someone's ambitions? THAT is the where the weakness comes in.

Me, I did R2R with a 45 lb. pack in one day, and I'd do it again if I were through-hiking the AZT again.

Enjoy, all aspiring R2Rimmers; or, R2R2Rimmers.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 11
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

RedDoug, I like your plan, and for folks who've never hiked R2R (and clicked on this thread), I'd like to encourage them to consider something similar for their first R2R or R2R2R....(my guess is the posters who are looking for partners are seeking folk who've done R2R at least once???).

I don't think frmrtd was discouraging folks, just mainly alerting first-timers that R2R's are very demanding, especially on the knees.

My advice is to take your time on your first crossing. Enjoy the lemonade at Phantom Ranch. Try to reserve a hot breakfast. Dangle your feet in the cold water.  Take in Ribbon Falls. Spend 2-3 days hiking it 1-way...then, maybe a couple of days hiking back across.

Then, on another, later trip, join up with other experienced R2R's, and do a 1-day'er.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 12
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2013, 10:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hurt my knee (which had previously bothered me) going down into the GC. The ranger called it "canyon knee" and the orthopedist called it a torn meniscus. Surgery fixed it just fine, but I don't think I'm headed back to the GC.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13
wyomingjack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Would like to do R2R again in Oct, 3 times in past. Prefer 4-5 days one way to explore and enjoy
12 replies since Aug. 03 2013, 6:53 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions