2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: NJ,NY,PA,CT, newbie looking for backpacking friends< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MikeR Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 17 2013, 6:38 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi all. I'm Mike. I'm new to backpacking. I'd like to speak with others who are interested in backpacking in the NorthEast. I have all my own gear. I still have yet to go on a multi day backpacking trip. I'm looking forward to it.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TonyHardy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 8:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mike R

I am sure you will love it.  I have found peace in nature away from the hectic day to day.  I also have found day hiking and overnight hiking is stupid and for people who want to say they are backpackers.  I have found multi day trips are the only way to truly explore the and become part of the outdoors.  

If you would like to possibly set up a multi day let me know.  I am not into mileage but destination like backcountry mountain lakes where fishing is available,  or in my case the latest was a 7 day to back country hike in lakes on the Florida trail.  It is hot at times but it is worth it when you get to a spring feed lake that has not had fisherman in 50 years or more and the bass are huge.
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"I have found multi day trips are the only way to truly explore the and become part of the outdoors.  "

Then you're not doing it right.
 Post Number: 4
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pretty sure people who think dayhiking and overnight trips are stupid are ... well, stupid. Day hiking with groups is an excellent way to stay in shape and meet people who like to do the same kinds of backpacking they like. The overnight trips are great for starting out since you can test gear and boots and not have another 100 miles to walk in that pack that turned out to not fit right (and oh, boy, can I tell you stories about packs that don't fit right on long trips!).

To get started in backpacking, go short and easy, work on endurance (having a strong core and good stamina are important) and don't listen to knotheads who claim there is only one way to backpack. There are a multitude of backpackers who have their own approach - it's okay to do it your way, whatever that may be, in whatever time you have to do it. The biggest problem with backpacking is that if you want someone to do it with, it's hard - pacing can be different, some partners or groups are not so experienced as they want to be, and finding someone who won't drop out at the last minute is very, very, very hard - the realities of life are that people have families and jobs, and put those before things like hiking. So join some hiking groups, online at meetup.com or offline if there are local hiking groups - sport shops can sometimes tell you how to find these groups, my group constantly gets word of mouth newbies joining up - and get out there hiking and talking to other hikers.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 5
andrew903p Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2013, 12:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi, Mike what part of the Northeast are you located? I live in Western NY.
 Post Number: 6
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2013, 8:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, noob. I live in NYC, and get out on dayhikes, overnighters, and multiday trips into Harriman State Park, and less frequently the Cats. I, however, go stark naked with nothing else but a kiestered razor blade wrapped in duct tape. I don't sleep, either. I use my own urine to cure trenchfoot. Anyone who doesn't do it that way is stupid.

Welcome here. We're going to need to know some things about you before feeding you a stream of snark, lies, and exaggerations. In no particular order, a sentence or two on:

Brussel Sprouts
Scotch (if you're of age)
Beer (ditto)
Kilts
Bacon

And tell us (briefly) about your basics -- shelter, sleep, pack; and (again briefly) about two experiences in the last six months.

That oughta give us enough to screw with you for a while.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
5 replies since Aug. 17 2013, 6:38 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply NJ,NY,PA,CT
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions