2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: internet sites for backpacking< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
cheeeetoes Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2014, 1:40 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are there any good places to go on group hikes on the internet???? I considered the Sierra club but it was expensive!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2014, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This site is as cheap as it gets.  ???   Can't beat free.
 Post Number: 3
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2014, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Sierra Club has hikes that are free. You're looking at the wrong site.

Are you looking for someone to guide you for free? Don't bother with "free" groups - that doesn't work. You don't show up to some social group who likes hiking and get a free pass. Everyone in a hiking group needs to have some savvy about hiking to be safe. Ain't safe to imagine you get free search and rescue if things go a little pear shaped.

Why do I say this? I run groups on meetup that help me socialize with other hikers all the time. I go out a lot. I do not run them to teach people hiking safety, and I don't want to baby sit people who can't be bothered to bring maps - and yet, I end up doing that.

If you want a guide to ensure you are safe and have a good time, pay for it. If you want to hang out with fun people on the trail and meanwhile teach YOURSELF by going to REI classes and reading this website and visiting other websites like backpacking.net how to trip plan, how to get your stuff together, how to be safe, and how to do it comfortably without overloading the pack, go visit meetup.com and have at it.

Personally, I'm just a little tired of the idea that you're going to get guidance for free. Join it for the social aspect, learn the rest on your own time.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 4
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2014, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LOL, Mr. Toes hit a nerve on that one. Yes, recheck your local Sierra Club. Our local (Dallas area) has several hikes yearly with different groups at different levels.

You might also want to post your interests/background here.

Good luck.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2014, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i'm doing him a favor. It's actually pretty darn dangerous to go on trips with some of those folks. You get a lot out of meetup groups - IF you go into it wise to the ways of hiking and of meetup groups. Those people have NO responsibility for you, and I have actually spoken to people who will intentionally leave folks out there if they prove to not be able to keep up with the group.

I love my meetup groups - but I RUN THEM and I won't do unsafe things. The first rule in my group is prevention - don't sign up for stuff you can't do yet. Other meetup groups can be a free-for-all with flaky people who set up trips and bail out of them on a whim.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 6
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2014, 11:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where are you?

If you are in Southern California vicinity, there are many day hiking groups  that provide you with a list of things to have with you and what to expect on the hike.  Many, MANY places to go around here.  I do a lot of day hikes in nearby mountains to get ready for longer trips in the summer.  Happy to have you along or get you started with others.

We do some 'day hikes' to the eastern Sierra leaving Pasadena at 4a and back before midnight.  Except for the time in the car, it is a beginner/intermediate type hike of 5-6 miles in (and same back) starting above 9,500' and going up to around 11,000' something.  For those that don't want to do an overnight but want to see some spectacular first night camp spots for another trip.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 7
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2014, 8:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmm... Group hikes, huh? You sure?

I've never been on a backpacking trip where a fourth or fifth would have been much fun.

Finding backpacking partners is difficult and timely, but ultimately worth it. You may, however, run into people that would threaten to leave you on the Bronx River Parkway on the way back from a backpacking trip. Right, camper10469?

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 8
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2014, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do a google search for Meetup groups in your area that are into backpacking, hiking or outdoor adventure. There are numerous Meetup groups out there in the U.S. that do all sorts of backpacking and hiking trips. Cost is minimal for these trips as you are paying your own way. Usually the only cost is for permits, campsite reservations, etc.
 Post Number: 9
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2014, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bigsilk @ Mar. 19 2014, 8:38 am)
I've never been on a backpacking trip where a fourth or fifth would have been much fun.

Same for me.  I've only been on a couple of trips with more that four people and they were both canoe trips.  As for backpacking, I think four would be the maximum for a group size.  More and more, I find that I enjoy going solo. I find myself good company and other often don't.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 10
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2014, 1:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As I like to say, group size of 1-4 is the only acceptable range.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 11
frmertd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2014, 11:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thereis a club called NEOH that does a decent amount of trips.
 Post Number: 12
cheeeetoes Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2014, 11:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

tx for all your help. Not looking for newbie dayhikes.  Im really looking for weeklong trips, especially in foreign countries. Neoh did have some. Tx
11 replies since Mar. 02 2014, 1:40 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply internet sites for backpacking
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions