2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Smart-wool socks in disguise for cheap at Costco?, Get'em while you can!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2009, 7:41 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Went to Costco today and saw Kirkland merino wool blend "Outdoor Trail Socks" advertised as a package of 4 for $10.99 CAD.  Took a closer look - the socks appear very much like my Smartwool Midweight socks.  These cost anywhere from $14-$17 USD PER PAIR.

Look exactly like these:
http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/ipopup_image.php/pID/5730?iID=3257

except without the Smartwool logo.  They are made in the USA and contain 71% Merino Wool, 21% nylon, 7% polyester, and 1% spandex.  They feel great, and hug the foot well.  At a fraction of the price of Smartwool, these socks are a steal.  I bought two packages for myself and one for my girlfriend (who doesn't hike, but always steals my socks), and wonder if I should have bought more.  In fact, I think I'm going to go back and buy some for christmas stuffers!

Happy shopping!  Hopefully you'll find them stock in your local Costco.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2009, 8:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Holy crud, I can tell you that wearing them in my keen waterproof shoes they keep my feet dry and warm - but after taking my shoes off, two things are evident.  One, that they do a darn good job wicking moisture, because the outside of the socks are damp from sweat while my feet feel dry.  :) Two, Keen.Dry is not very breathable. :(
 Post Number: 3
BoraBora Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2009, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yup, I can vouch for those - I found them at Costco last year and bought a package to try out.  They've held up fine so far.
 Post Number: 4
dearnold Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2009, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a bunch of those and they have been regularly in stock at my Costco in the Twin Cities area for at least a year now. They hold up well.

--------------
"Not fit for human consumption"
 Post Number: 5
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2009, 10:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I wonder.  It appears by all accounts to be the exact same sock as the Smartwool midweights.  Same composition, made in the USA, and look nearly identical.  Turned them inside out, stitched in the same places, same wool loops.  I'll take a closer look tomorrow and compare them when I get home.  But I'm quite certain they come off the same production line.  Not many places in the USA making wool socks anymore unfortunately.

Which begs the question - how can Smartwool sell these for $18 a pair, partially on the claim of being made in the USA as opposed to China or elsewhere, and Costco can sell them for $2.50 per pair and presumably make money?  I understand the margin must be paper-thin, but yeesh.  Amazing what marketing can do.

I feel a fool for having bought mine even at the discounted price of $14per pair now!

Even if they aren't the same, they are close enough that I'd never buy the Smartwool again if these are available!  I like to support the little guys, but the difference in price makes it plain stupid to buy them elsewhere.
 Post Number: 6
theron Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2009, 11:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A year or so ago I bought a couple pairs of US made wool socks for $6/pair from a local surplus store. I don't remember the brand name but I looked it up and found it was the same as a town that had a smartwool factory in it.
 Post Number: 7
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2009, 12:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A website here is selling the same ones for $25 for 4 pairs.  On sale.

http://thesocksite.com/no-itch....79.html

In this forum a poster mentions they are made in Tennessee by a company that used to make them for Smartwool:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum....ount=51
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=751677

They're too warm to walk around inside with a pair of waterproof Keens though.  Phew, my feet are now sweaty.  Wish they had light hiking socks too.
 Post Number: 8
FnAskippy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2009, 5:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SmokeyBear @ Dec. 01 2009, 10:41 pm)
So I wonder.  It appears by all accounts to be the exact same sock as the Smartwool midweights.  Same composition, made in the USA, and look nearly identical.  Turned them inside out, stitched in the same places, same wool loops.  I'll take a closer look tomorrow and compare them when I get home.  But I'm quite certain they come off the same production line.  Not many places in the USA making wool socks anymore unfortunately.

Which begs the question - how can Smartwool sell these for $18 a pair, partially on the claim of being made in the USA as opposed to China or elsewhere, and Costco can sell them for $2.50 per pair and presumably make money?  I understand the margin must be paper-thin, but yeesh.  Amazing what marketing can do.

I feel a fool for having bought mine even at the discounted price of $14per pair now!

Even if they aren't the same, they are close enough that I'd never buy the Smartwool again if these are available!  I like to support the little guys, but the difference in price makes it plain stupid to buy them elsewhere.

Welcome to capitalism.
Smartwool is a great sock and they jacked them up until the point where sales started slowing. All of the others followed.
When you see "Best sock of 2010".
Expect a $2 per pair increase.............cuz the dummies HAVE to have it.
OOOOOOOOOO You take Visa !!!

Down here we have a sock made in Taiwan that is almost identical. 6 for $10.
I still pay the money for Smartwool and just ordered some Wigwam to try out.

I'm funny that way. I still buy a lot of American MADE outdoor gear since it was always the best.
I guess I'm an idiot since few others do and America is losing all of it's companies anyhow. Labor anyway. I mean. In reality, Kelty is a Philippine outfit and Osprey is Vietnamese. Danner is more than half Chinese as is Redwing/Vasque. Buck knives. The list goes on and on.

--------------
The movie is over. You should leave NOW

"When you shop, you're really voting for the kind of world you want."
Gary Hershberg
 Post Number: 9
collama Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2009, 8:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have paid the full price many times!  And my wife loves their striped socks.  I gotta join Cosco.
 Post Number: 10
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2009, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(FnAskippy @ Dec. 02 2009, 5:00 am)
I'm funny that way. I still buy a lot of American MADE outdoor gear since it was always the best.
I guess I'm an idiot since few others do and America is losing all of it's companies anyhow. Labor anyway. I mean. In reality, Kelty is a Philippine outfit and Osprey is Vietnamese. Danner is more than half Chinese as is Redwing/Vasque. Buck knives. The list goes on and on.

Except that these socks ARE made in the USA, and are selling for the equivalent of $2.50 per pair!  It's all about marketing.
Apparently you can sell the same socks as Smart Wool as a generic wool hiker by a company known for volume sales and low margins for only 14% percent of the cost.  Assuming this means there is SOME profit margin on these, that means that Smart Wool socks sell with over a 720% profit margin! (some for Smart Wool, some for retailers - I wonder what the retailer cost is for Smart Wool).

It just makes me wonder how come so much manufacturing is outsourced overseas when apparently an American-made product can be produced here at such a profit.  Must be pretty automated with little actual labour.
 Post Number: 11
fish Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2009, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And I just bought two pairs of Smartwool midweights a few months ago. Thanks for the tip.

*facepalm*

--------------
Wilderness Utah - Learn, Explore, Discover.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2009, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I snagged some Omni-Wool socks at Sam’s Club a few months ago for about ten bucks  for three pair.
Got six…should have got more.  Great socks

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 13
danamac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2009, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like I will make another trip to CostCo tomorrow to check on those. Just bought a flat screen last Wednesday form there. CostCo automatically extends the warranty a year on electronics.

--------------
AARN USA
 Post Number: 14
geophagous Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2009, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got some for my wife for work since she says her feet hurt and she steals my hiking socks.

Now however I will need to get some more for myself!
 Post Number: 15
strez Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2009, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Generic brands of items (clothes, food, etc.) are usually made at the same facilities as those that make name brands, except the materials they use are of less quality.  I would guess that is the case with Costco socks (probably a more coarse wool or something).  I read some Internet reviews of them that said they wear out for quickly than Smartwool socks.

That said:  they're an amazing bargain at the price.  I saw where Sams Club makes a similar wool sock for a similar price.  Personally, I find that Smartwool socks wear out quickly, and I have switched over to more blended socks, like Teko.

These, however, are my new favorite socks and are priced in the middle range:

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoor....0M.html

I just bought some about a month ago and love them.  You can often get them on sale for under $20 for three pair, which is reasonable.
 Post Number: 16
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2009, 2:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those look like nice socks strez, but middle range price?!  They're $30 per pair!!!  Even on sale they're $24!  

These socks might very well be of lower quality materials, but after wearing them the last couple of days it's not apparent - they are pretty soft, but with no visible compression of wool loops.  The real test will be coming next spring for me (and maybe this winter).  Someone I know used them on the last trip he went on, said they were pretty comfy for 5 days.
 Post Number: 17
collama Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2009, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those look like nice socks strez, but middle range price?!  They're $30 per pair!!!  Even on sale they're $24!

THREE pairs.  It comes in a three pack.  So $8 per pair on sale.  Not bad at all.
 Post Number: 18
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2009, 4:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Backcountry.com Merino Hiking Sock - 3-Pack
 Post Number: 19
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2009, 5:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ooops, my mistake - didn't notice the 3 pair deal. :)  I've never tried these, but they look like they're good quality.

Low wool content though.  I find the ones that start reducing wool tend to stink much faster.  That being said, I'm a big fan of these:

http://www.mec.ca/Product....1771659

The Fox River Tramper socks.  A little thicker, but very comfy and good cushioning.  For $9 CAD per pair, a good deal too.
 Post Number: 20
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2009, 10:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Okay, had a closer look making a direct comparison now that I am back home.  The Costco brand socks look pretty darn similar, sans logo.  But, when turned inside out, differences are in fact apparent.  Although both are high quality socks, the SmartWool ones definitely make a greater distinction between the surface and bottom in terms of loop density.  The density of loops on the inside top of the Smartwool sock is actually a bit thinner than the Kirkland socks, but the inside bottom of the Kirklands is only slightly denser than the top.  In the Smartwool socks, the density of the bottom is notably thicker than in the Kirklands - maybe 30-40%.  There is also a band on either side of the Smart Wool sock between the top and bottom that isn't populated with loops - probably for stretch and breathability.  The actual size of the thickened bottom areas are about the same (despite what it appears in the picture).

Here is a picture - Smart Wool on the right, Kirkland on the left.

All in all, the Smartwool is a better sock.  But $14 better per pair?  Probably not for most people, unless you've got a lot of money to burn or the most sensitive feet on the planet!  But I suspect the Kirklands won't last as long, and over a long trek with only 3 pairs of socks in your bags, having the SmartWool might make the difference for you.
 Post Number: 21
danamac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2009, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I picked up a set of these socks at CostCo today. They look good, feel good. Coincidentally, they also had similar Smartwools there as well. Directly behind these in the next aisle over. There were definitely some differences in the look and feel, but very minor. These Kirkland brand show 71% Merino wool, where the Smartwools were showing 74 or 76%, I think. The Smarts were $19.99 for two pair, where the KL were $9.99 for 4 pair.

I would suspect that the KLs would be fine for 80-90% of the hiking/backpacking population, but maybe not so for the more dedicated packers and thru hikers.

--------------
AARN USA
 Post Number: 22
humboldthiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2009, 4:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bought these socks at Costco a few years ago (maybee 3) and at the time they said HEAD as the brand name. I am still wearing them and they are not quite as soft or thick but no holes or worn out areas yet. At the time they were 4 packs with 2 blue,1 black, and 1 tan color. I do not know if HEAD is the same as Smartwool or not but these are very good socks. After I bought them I tossed all my cotten socks out :D .
 Post Number: 23
dla Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2009, 11:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I must have a dozen pair* of the Costco socks - they are all I wear. Ever. I started buying them about 4 years ago at least and I've not needed/wanted anything else. It is a very good sock in general and nothing beats it for the price.

*(actually I have almost 2 dozen)

--------------
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive..The robber baron’s cruelty..may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience - CS Lewis
 Post Number: 24
strez Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2009, 7:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just bought the Costco socks yesterday (4 pair for $9.99) for me and my son.  Really quite a bargain.  I haven't worn them yet.  The material seems a bit more coarse than my Smartwool socks.  They seem identical to some older REI brands socks I bought a few years back.  Anxious to try them out and see how well they last.
 Post Number: 25
NICKTHEGREEK Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2009, 8:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SmokeyBear @ Dec. 01 2009, 7:41 pm)
Went to Costco today and saw Kirkland merino wool blend "Outdoor Trail Socks" advertised as a package of 4 for $10.99 CAD.  Took a closer look - the socks appear very much like my Smartwool Midweight socks.  These cost anywhere from $14-$17 USD PER PAIR.

Look exactly like these:
http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/ipopup_image.php/pID/5730?iID=3257

except without the Smartwool logo.  They are made in the USA and contain 71% Merino Wool, 21% nylon, 7% polyester, and 1% spandex.  They feel great, and hug the foot well.  At a fraction of the price of Smartwool, these socks are a steal.  I bought two packages for myself and one for my girlfriend (who doesn't hike, but always steals my socks), and wonder if I should have bought more.  In fact, I think I'm going to go back and buy some for christmas stuffers!

Happy shopping!  Hopefully you'll find them stock in your local Costco.

I've worn them for years, they aren't in stock 100% of the time so stock up when you find them. They wear well and can last quite a while.

--------------
Hamilton Standard Propellers- 1
Chinese Migs- 0
 Post Number: 26
Kia Kaha Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2009, 8:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Dec. 02 2009, 11:12 am)
I snagged some Omni-Wool socks at Sam’s Club a few months ago for about ten bucks  for three pair.
Got six…should have got more.  Great socks

I got the same ones at sams club, really nice socks.  I paid $14 for three pair, and do not notice a difference between them and my smartwool socks.

--------------
"Be Strong"
 Post Number: 27
Peter4135 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2010, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You guys realize that these are basically the same socks right?  The difference in wool weights of 3 or 4 percentage points is virtually meaningless.  

Also, buy American.  The quality of American made products is always going to be higher.  If you buy American, you aren't perpetuating the existence of sweat shops.  If you buy American, you support American wage laborers and companies that refuse to outsource labor even though it is always more profitable to do so.
 Post Number: 28
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2010, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bought a package of them and used them as stocking stuffers for my sons.  Seems like a great deal on a pretty high quality product.  Maybe not Smartwool, but darn close.  I was never that enamored with Smartwool anyway. JMO

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 29
the new guy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2010, 6:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Peter4135 @ Jan. 01 2010, 11:38 am)
Also, buy American.  The quality of American made products is always going to be higher.  If you buy American, you aren't perpetuating the existence of sweat shops.  If you buy American, you support American wage laborers and companies that refuse to outsource labor even though it is always more profitable to do so.

I agree with this. I would rather buy american, even though it costs more.  

I have pairs of smart wool socks I got four years ago and they are still going strong.  I still have pairs that I used for years working security five days a week walking five to six hours a shift. Call me a fanboy, but I wear smart wool every day fall, winter, spring, and summer. I have tried other socks during that time but Smart Wool socks top them all in terms of durability, comfort, and moisture management.

I have not tried the costco socks, but you get what you pay for even if some of it is "brand name markup"
 Post Number: 30
snyderman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2010, 7:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will buy American if it is about the same price and quality, and if it is NOT made by a Union worker.
45 replies since Dec. 01 2009, 7:41 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Smart-wool socks in disguise for cheap at Costco?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions