2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 2<<12

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Smart-wool socks in disguise for cheap at Costco?, Get'em while you can!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 31
TrailGuru Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2010, 2:17 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Smartwool socks never lasted me that long anyway..
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 32
Flexo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2010, 8:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got some of these socks before Christmas and they really do look like exactly the same thing as my Smartwool socks.  I'm gonna get more before they go away as items tend to do at Costco.
 Post Number: 33
zeeksta Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2010, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i recieved some socks for christmas they were packaged columbia, they are exactly the same as my smartwool midweight hiking socks, they were in a colunbia out let in maine, he said they were very cheap, he got me two 3 packs
 Post Number: 34
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Santa came early this year. Daughter just dropped off Kirkland Outdoor Trail Sox, Merino wool70%.  Medium for me and Large for our son. Great sox for the price and made in the USA...

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 35
Fatpacking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll have to grab some of these Kirkland socks. As far as Smartwool...if I am going to pay those prices for a pair of socks, I'll get me some Darn Tough socks. I love those things.
 Post Number: 36
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Darn Tough makes private label socks for Orvis and (I think) LL Bean.  I tried a pair of the Orvis private labels socks a few years ago.  Didn't like them.  the ratio of merino to nylon to polyester was not nearly as good in the private label socks.  As a result, they didn't cusion my feet as well and felt thin and stretchy in some spots that are much thicker and more cushioned on the name brand.  While I think they are potentially worth the discount, I haven't tried private label wool socks since then.
 Post Number: 37
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 11:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I definitely love my kirkland merino socks. I'm seriously only just starting to wear out the pairs I bought 2 years ago - and I wear them most of the winter. I actually like them better than my actual smartwool socks - though my smartwools are not the better PhD socks.
 Post Number: 38
Equipaje Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 2:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailGuru @ Jan. 05 2010, 2:17 am)
Smartwool socks never lasted me that long anyway..

But Smart Wool will replace your worn socks if you push the issue.  I never knew this until my local gear shop owner told me.  I haven't sought replacements, since I feel that I got my money's worth for the socks that I purchased, but if you think that you've been ripped off, this is an option.  They stand behind their product.

I purchased a smart wool-like sock from Sam's Club and wasn't happy with them.  They were good for day to day wearing, but stretched a bit too much for backpacking or cross country skiing.

Jim
 Post Number: 39
CampinCarl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Local update - only women's in stock at Costco in Salem, OR.  3 pairs for $9.99
As usual, only one standard size available.

--------------
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike." - John Muir
 Post Number: 40
SnidelyWhiplash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 9:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(snyderman @ Jan. 02 2010, 7:07 pm)
I will buy American if it is about the same price and quality, and if it is NOT made by a Union worker.

I was about to flame this guy, and then I realized his post was three years old.... Still mad though, anyone want to be the target of my wrath?

Also, I'm gonna to get me some cheap wool socks.
 Post Number: 41
CharlesTheHammer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I called a Costco today, and the lady seemed a bit confused as to brands, as she kept saying that they carried Kirkland Smartwool socks and Kirkland Wigwam socks. I tried to explain that they are different brands(Kirkland vs. Smartwool or Wigwam), but she seemed to say they are connected somehow.

Anyway, they dont carry the socks listed in the OP, and the "Kirkland Smartwool" socks are $24 for 2 pair, the "Wigwam Kirkland" socks were like $16 for 3 pair.

But they didnt seem to have anything else, and not the 4 pairs of Kirkland socks for $10.99.

Thats a shame! Is anyone else still able to find them?
 Post Number: 42
Fatpacking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 6:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I saw them over the summer at my Costco. Didn't get any though. Next time I am in town I am going to look for them again and grab a pack or two if they have them.
 Post Number: 43
LiteMan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 12:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CharlesTheHammer @ Nov. 07 2012, 11:38 am)
I called a Costco today, and the lady seemed a bit confused as to brands, as she kept saying that they carried Kirkland Smartwool socks and Kirkland Wigwam socks. I tried to explain that they are different brands(Kirkland vs. Smartwool or Wigwam), but she seemed to say they are connected somehow.

Anyway, they dont carry the socks listed in the OP, and the "Kirkland Smartwool" socks are $24 for 2 pair, the "Wigwam Kirkland" socks were like $16 for 3 pair.

But they didnt seem to have anything else, and not the 4 pairs of Kirkland socks for $10.99.

Thats a shame! Is anyone else still able to find them?

My Costco sells 4 pairs of Wool socks, Kirkland brand for 11.99 currently.  Something like 70% Merino wool.   As far as i know, they still have some.  I would be willing to send some out if someone absolutely needed them and couldn't get them that cheap otherwise.  

Re: the rest, it reminds me of a recent experience i had with Costco customer service.  They were selling a 25 dollar soft shell WPB jacket that seemed pretty nice (YKK zippers, etc), and at that price Wow (except it doesn't come with a hood for some reason! i'll attach one later).  But i was curious as to what kind of WPB tech it really was, whether sourced from Goretex, Polartec, eVent, or what not.  The C.S. was absolutely useless, they just read the tags, which i had previously told them i had already read and was not interested in hearing about.  

Still got it since their return policy is pretty good and at 25 dollars it's cheap enough to experiment with anyways.   Minus the no hood (?!), it seems like good quality and well made.

Oh, and the sleeves are kind of loose and have no way to tighten, so i already modified it, put some eyelets in, ran some shcck cord and put some cord locks on it.  MUCH better.  

I use it for motorcycle riding in cooler temps, so i need to be able to tighten up the sleeves/cuff.
 Post Number: 44
Chris C Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Costco in Danville, CA has both men's and women's wool hiking socks in stock now (Kirkland brand):

"Outdoor Trail Sock":
Men's Large (8-13) = women's 9+
Men's Medium (6-9) = women's 4-9
70% Merino wool
18% Nylon
10% Polyester
2% Spandex
4 pair for $12

"Ladies Trail Sock":
One size (women's 4-10)
81% Merino wool
17% Polyester
2% Spandex
3 pair for $10

They're both SO soft and comfortable and they appear to be well made. (I stocked up!)

--------------
"We're not lost. It's the trail that's missing."
 Post Number: 45
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 7:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Many here have probably seen me post about the smartwool outlet store.

The same mill that produces smartwool socks makes many of the other brands as well.

I've got a drawer full of smartwool socks of various different styles.

I really like the Carhart wools socks better than any of the others.

So yes, there are certainly other brands that are equivalent to the smart wool brand.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 46
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just throwing this out there, since it's a sock thread, and I only became aware of it this week...
Point 6 makes Eddie Bauer's First Ascent socks, and the identical Point 6 socks are on STP(subject to availability) at 1/3 the retail price with a good Dealflyer coupon, just missing the FA logo.
45 replies since Dec. 01 2009, 7:41 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 2<<12
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Smart-wool socks in disguise for cheap at Costco?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions