2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Trekking pole tent/tarp for basecamp?, using poles for dayhikes?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
collama Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2011, 10:38 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Still researching tents.  I really like the weight savings of trekking pole shelters, like the Tarptent rainshadow 2 or the Nemo Meta. I always use poles so it would work for me.

Does anybody have experience using these shelters for a basecamp situation?  What do you do if you need to use your trekking poles for day hikes from that basecamp?  Is there a way to secure the tent in a way that keeps your gear dry/safe?

Thanks.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2011, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Personally, I don't like to hike anywhere without some type of shelter. It would be quite easy to simply use it as a pack cover though. You could also use a couple sticks.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2011, 11:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Until my knees starting bothering me I used to hike without poles, one reason I liked the Double Rainbow.  The Lunar Duo can be used with light weight poles, though I wonder how strong that would be, of course if they snapped you would have your trekking poles.

I have used the Black Diamond Beta Light and Mega Light which do go up with poles OR an overhead line (I think the Meta might do this too).  I just collapse the tent otherwise.  Usually stuff sleeping bag in water proof stuff sack.  put other stuff I am leaving behind in say a garbage bag all on top of sleeping pad.
Of course if you are expecting allot of rain while you are away you would have to consider if the inside of your tent would get wet or not, and if that would be a problem for you (I would just use  a sponge or backpacking towel).  Also mine can be used floorless so might stake down sleeping bag stuff sack to keep from rolling outside tent.

Some say you should take down tent during the day anyway, UV rays - which is another option, just put everything in waterproof bags etc.

Sticks might be ok, esp. if used externally, I wouldn't try it on my BetaLight which wants a stick to hold in a grommet to keep it from tearing into the sil-nylon.
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2011, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I pull the pole out from my Contrail and weight the tent with rocks.  If you're conscious of setting up for drainage, there should be no problem.  My gear has stayed dry during storms that passed through while I was out and about.
 Post Number: 5
ATnorthbound Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As an FYI, nemo currently has a deal where you get free trekking poles with any of their trekking pole tents. On the wbsite, it says the the offer ends Oct 31.

I've slept in the 2P version of that Meta...really nice tent.
 Post Number: 6
jmarklane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ATnorthbound @ Oct. 04 2012, 12:17 pm)
As an FYI, nemo currently has a deal where you get free trekking poles with any of their trekking pole tents. On the wbsite, it says the the offer ends Oct 31.

That's a tempting deal, even tho I don't use poles (am thinking I may in the future as I am having leg and knee issues).  But... why are those damn tents such god-awful colors?  There must some reason why a company makes their tents fluorescent green or bright orange... but I can't think what it could be.  Am I just being old-fashioned in wanting a tent in a natural color?
 Post Number: 7
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think you're being old fashioned. I like the bright colors in winter when I have many hours of darkness. In summer, I prefer darker colors so I can decide when I want to sleep and not be woken up at 5:00 am by the day-glow color.

That's why I have several different shelters.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And you just randomly dug up an 18-month old thread to make the announcement as your first post?  This seems like spam.
 Post Number: 9
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Oct. 04 2012, 10:09 am)

And you just randomly dug up an 18-month old thread to make the announcement as your first post? áThis seems like spam.

Maybe the search function actually worked this time...

--------------
 Post Number: 10
jmarklane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Oct. 04 2012, 1:09 pm)

And you just randomly dug up an 18-month old thread to make the announcement as your first post? áThis seems like spam.

Ha, I didn't notice that (no doubt what they count on).  Thanks for pointing it out.  I think the burden is now on Nemo to establish that this wasn't a cheap shill.  My assumption is it was, and I won't touch their products as long as I think that...
 Post Number: 11
OldKansan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 2:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tarp tent sells optional poles for their tents. They are very light & afordable. I have a set for mine that I take if I am planning day hikes frome a base camp.
10 replies since Apr. 07 2011, 10:38 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Trekking pole tent/tarp for basecamp?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions