2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Bogs for snow shoeing?, Anyone use them?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
johnq62 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011, 12:18 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mr. Brown delivered a pair of Bogs I ordered last week.
I plan on keeping my Jungle moc's @ work and wearing the Bogs to and from,snowblowing etc.
After slipping them on with different sox on(as comfy as the Jungle mocs), got me thinking about snow shoeing with them? does anyone use them?
I think they might be a little warm above 0. Your thoughts,use?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011, 12:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had to Google what you were talking about:  Bogs

I don't see why you couldn't use them, in cold conditions.  The non-breatheability might get annoying if it gets warm or you're working hard (think sweat), but honestly being bundled up in Gore-Tex isn't always that breatheable anyway, and folks have managed just fine, myself included.  Anyway, no personal experience with 'em, but if they're comfortable and warm, I'd be tempted to say no problem.  Just my $.01 (ain't even gonna claim $.02 on that feedback :p),

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011, 1:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Goblue, Thats what I'm thinking about being to warm!
Comfort,easy off/pull on sold me! the temp ratings scare me for a sweat! I'm thinking keeping them 4 short use boots...
 Post Number: 4
TheRambler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011, 6:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kinda similar, I use the TNF Arctic Pull On boots for snowshoeing and i really like them.
 Post Number: 5
kykcamper Search for posts by this member.
^ that stands for kayak

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011, 10:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the people from the show Out of the Wild, Alaska used these.  That isn't to say that they are the best suited for the task, but they can be used.  If they work for you, I'd use them.  

Last year I wore my Lacross Iceman boots winter camping.  It was a 3 mile snowshoe trek in, and then 2 nights of basecamping.  Were they optimal?  No, not really, but they worked and kept my feet warm and dry.

--------------
Psylocide - "Well... on one side you have uneducated red necks and on the other you have pseudo-intelligent hippy liberal douches."
Paulbrown - "a deck of cards is heavier than many admit, will you really use them? consider replacing with a plastic bottle filled with booze."
 Post Number: 6
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm with Mike on this one.  Seems like breatheability would be the major issue.  Depends on how warm or cold it is, I guess.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 7
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2011, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I tried a pair of similar dunlop boots for working outdoors in the winter a few years ago. Light for the size, comfy. A little loose in the fit. I found that my feet would start to get a little cold in temps of -10*C or below because the sweat would accumulate and chill my feet. But that was more due to standing around a lot for work.

You will sweat and moisture will accumulate - one way to deal with this is by using booties over your socks like these:

http://www.gear-up.com/cart_showproduct.php?pid=11808

They have a synthetic wicking liner and a cotton outer lining which soaks up the moisture. Bring a couple of pairs and swap when one gets soaked. Keeps your feet nice and dry. Or, wear a thicker cotton sock over a thinner wool or synthetic for a similar effect.

Another benefit is that it will tighten up the fit a little if you have low volume feet like mine. If they are too tight, you can go up a size.
 Post Number: 8
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2011, 4:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm a big fan of BOGS. I used a pair all last winter for snowshoeing and general winter hiking. Here's a picture from this season.

The only issue that I have found is that you really have to use the right thickness of sock. There's no way to adjust how tight the boots are on your feet. So, you have to have well fitted socks to avoid friction in the heel.
 Post Number: 9
Scott Free Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2011, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Bogs are probably the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. I've even been using them for trail running during quagmire days.

Two years ago, my 66 y.o. mom-in-law called to tell me she had ordered snowshoes. I told her she was crazy because we never get more than eight inches of snow. Two days after her snowshoes arrived, we got hit with three feet of snow, and it continued like that throughout the rest of the winter. I spent almost every day wearing my Bogs and her snowshoes while raking snow off of our two roofs.

I'm not sure why wearing Bogs would be any different than wearing leather boots that have been loaded down with Snow Seal.

--------------
See my photography here.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2011, 12:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Vino/Scott,
Glad to read your remarks on the Bogs. For years I've always used big Sorel pack boots (felt liners/lace up's) for winter b/p and hated them...heavy,laces freeze up and a bear to tie, catch a branch and I lose the tightness of the lace's or bend the lace hooks etc.
I'm thinking about hiking in them over T/G weekend (with multi socks) and decide if I'll use them for SS.
If not, They are sweet winter boots.
 Post Number: 11
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2011, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use Muck boots for winter work on pipelines and terminals in Wyoming. Bogs are for the most part knock-offs of the Muck boot designs. I have used Bogs (one pair) for the same use and they were decent for the $$ but no where near the functionality of the comparable Muck boot.

Up until the collapse of the original Sorel boot company in Canada, I used their pacs exclusively on oil exploration rigs and geophyscical survey crews in winter from North Dakota to the Hudson Shield. The beauty of the standard Muck boot is they are funtional with a good wool or poly sock (thorlo) from -10 to nearly 70 degrees F. The Bogs are not far behind. What makes them different than "dad's" old Korea boot is the lining that wicks and the breathable upper knit.

A pull on boot is hard to snowshoe with for me. I use both old 36" Atlas and MSR Denali's with mountain boots with gaiters [Lowe Banff or Lowe Tetons GTX]. When freaking cold a Neo overboot. I have a very narrow and long foot.

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
10 replies since Nov. 16 2011, 12:18 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Bogs for snow shoeing?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions