2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Holy crap do I want some of this!, I'm waiting in line...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011, 11:26 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am so signing up for this stuff when it comes out. My rainshell, backpack, tent, and boots are going to get a coating of this stuff inside and out. I hope it doesn't cost a fortune. I'm marking on my calendar for mid 2012 to check back when it is released to the public.

http://www.neverwet.com/index.php

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
adambl82 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks impressive.  I doubt I'd put it on a rainshell though as it would probably breather like PVC after.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

DWR sprays (most have silicone as their "active" ingredient) don't inhibit breathable membranes so it's quite possible this might have similar properties.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
adambl82 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always wondered about that.  Thanks
 Post Number: 5
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Huh.  If it doesn't cause immediate cancer, I'm interested.

I wonder how durable it'd be.  Time will tell... I'll keep an eye out in the meantime.  Thanks for the heads-up!

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 6
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011, 2:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's a big discussion going on over on BPL about this stuff: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin....d=55847

Sounds too good to be true, but if it is, it's going to revolutionize backpacking as we know it! :cool:

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 7
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The durability and (re) treatability will definitely be the key to success.

There's some better videos out there, including one where they spray a caluclator circuitboard with the stuff and run it underwater for hours (untreated dies in under a minute).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKOXJ5R2-P4

They spray the outside only of an iphone and it lasts 30 minutes.

That, and whether it is toxic. :p
 Post Number: 8
camper10469 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting... Silicone. It's all in the adhesion carrier of the product that may be different from common DWR.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sound extremely interesting.  My first thought was how breathable is it?  If it is as good as claimed, it should be all over the place very soon.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 10
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I want some, too!

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 11
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2011, 1:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Forget rain coat, just dip yourself in it!  Might be a bit heavy?

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 12
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2011, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i imagine a superhydrophobic coating might also make your outerwear feel very slick.  if so, it would definitely make the fall/self arrest experience more exciting.  

i just emailed the company to ask how this coating would affect the ability of water vapor to pass through a material, like uncoated nylon, that would otherwise allow some water vapor to pass through its pores.  stay tuned.

to augment what some have hinted at, nanotechnology can mean it passes easily through your skin.  that coating might not be so good for your lungs or intestines....
 Post Number: 13
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2011, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After reading and researching some more, I've determined that I'm going to be coating the bottom of my sled in Rain-X. It has similar properties (but obviously not as intense). I would assume that it will glide better than my current wax treatments.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2011, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very interesting!  Yeah, I want it for my BP gear, but I also want it on all my house windows, my car windshield, the tile and grout in my shower, my backyard hammock...lots of possibilities.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 15
Scott Free Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2011, 6:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ponderosa @ Nov. 19 2011, 5:16 pm)
...my car windshield...

Not just the windshield—but the whole car! I'd never have to wash my car again (not that I ever do that anyway.)  :)

--------------
See my photography here.
 Post Number: 16
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2011, 6:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was thinking, the toilets, sinks, bathtub, Shower door, windshields, the front walk (as long as it's not too slick), every jacket and pair of shoes we own, the outside of our windows...

--------------
 Post Number: 17
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2011, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Scott Free @ Nov. 19 2011, 6:29 pm)

(ponderosa @ Nov. 19 2011, 5:16 pm)
...my car windshield...

Not just the windshield—but the whole car! I'd never have to wash my car again (not that I ever do that anyway.)  :)

No kidding - out here in the rust belt, anything that keeps salty winter melt off your car is a god-send.
 Post Number: 18
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2011, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Windows: Oh yeah. I used to think RainX was a gimmick and then I sort of accidentally bought some wipers that came with a packet: wowza! Granted I am somewhat of a visibility enthusiast but evenso.

For various snow things (including snow saws and shovels) I've used MaxiGlide spray to good effect.
 Post Number: 19
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2011, 5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Veddy interesting stuff...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 20
G7 Search for posts by this member.
SNOWY RANGE, WYOMING

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2011, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

SuperHydraPhobic - - - cotton T-shirt ?

Not so fast, G . . . on the plus side, it would not get wet from rain (my first thought).  BUT, it would not absorb and wick to evaporate sweat, eigher.  Bummer in summer.

--------------
. . . the real challenge of going ultralight is not in picking the right gear but in making the right choices when using it.   Jon Dorn, ed. Backpacker 2002

AD UTRUMQUE PARATUS
 Post Number: 21
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2011, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(G7 @ Nov. 20 2011, 5:00 pm)
SuperHydraPhobic - - - cotton T-shirt ?

Not so fast, G . . . on the plus side, it would not get wet from rain (my first thought).  BUT, it would not absorb and wick to evaporate sweat, eigher.  Bummer in summer.

LOL... your sweat would stay locked in your pores, scared to come out. :D

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 22
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 8:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's finally available

Just ordered some

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 23
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 8:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Jun. 19 2013, 8:21 am)
It's finally available

Just ordered some

Wish I had that when my kids were young - I would have sprayed them with it.
 Post Number: 24
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Freaking awesome. I'm getting me some...TODAY!

--------------
 Post Number: 25
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 11:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What you going to use it for. I think I will test spray some on a rain fly on an old tent. If it seems to be OK, no idea what I figure is OK, but, if it seems OK I may apply to my TT rainbow. It would be nice to be able to pack a dry tent after a rainy night

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 26
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 12:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Windshield, shower glass, toilet bowls, Outdoor furniture, rain shell, boots, Hot tub cover, underwear...maybe, Satellite dish, and everything else I can think of...

Hey...I thought this stuff was supposed to be clear? Hmmm, I guess the glass stuff is out.

--------------
 Post Number: 27
CubsFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So it's around $1 a square foot it looks like.   I'm in as long as there aren't any ill effects to what you put it on.  Anyone who buys it keep us updated!
 Post Number: 28
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 12:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Guys you owe it to all of us to check this stuff out and let us know.  Use that as your justification for the wives  :D

I find this stuff completely amazing, but really don't know what i would use it on...  Part of me wants to try to put it on the bottom of my kayak and see what it would do to my touring speed!  :D

Otherwise besides the usual rain shell stuff, I'm at a loss....  Hmm, maybe the rag top of the convertible....
 Post Number: 29
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From the reviews, discoloration is a strong possibility on some surfaces. I've been waiting soooo long, I am definitely giving it a shot.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Shower glass would not be an issue, as it only leaves a slight frosting, which is probably on the shower glass anyway.   I am thinking bout trying it out on a piece of glass left over in the basement.  Just clear glass from a pane.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
44 replies since Nov. 16 2011, 11:26 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Holy crap do I want some of this!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions