2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Kel Tec Sub 2000, Anyone have one?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
FrearDPT Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2012, 9:19 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I live in the Northeast and for the past few years while backpacking I have made it a point to bring a small firearm with me. One reason is if I find myself in a survival situation and need to shoot some small game for food I will be equipped. Another reason is personal protection from a dangerous/sick animal or human... I know either situation is HIGHLY unlikely but I honestly just sleep better knowing I have a bit of protection. I have an AR-7 survival .22 which is very light and easy to pack. It's relatively accurate at 50 yards and easy to assemble. The problem with that particular firearm is that it packs in 4 pieces and takes a minute to put together, making it ineffective against that dangerous/sick animal or human in a fast pace emergency and also has absolutely no "knock down power."

This past weekend I came across a Kel Tec Sub 2000 (http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/08/captain-john-raguso/gun-review-kel-tec-sub-2000-40/) and picked it up. The firearm folds in half and is only 16 inches long! It takes only a second put it together and it fires a .40 S&W which packs a much bigger punch than the .22. It's a simple and reportedly accurate firearm (up to 100 yards some report). Basically this rifle looks like the backpackers dream firearm. I am extremely curious to know if anyone else has one and what they think about it.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Mudinyeri Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2012, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Personally, I think that pistol caliber carbines in general and the Kel-Tec 2000's specifically are solutions looking for a problem.  If I need a backup gun ... I need it now.  I don't want to have to dig in my pack and "only take a second" to unfold or assemble it.  If I'm hunting, I'll take an appropriate hunting firearm.

For fun?  OK, you got me there.  I'm sure the Sub-2000 would be fun at the range.  For real protection?  No thanks.

--------------
"History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it. "  Walter Bagehot, Founder of the National Review
 Post Number: 3
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2012, 1:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Disclaimer: you can take my advice with a grain of salt, as I don't personally bother carrying a firearm in the woods.  These are impressions.

However, I agree with Mudinyeri's post.  For protection against dangerous animals or humans, long-range accuracy is moot.  Any conflict of that sort would happen at close range, and you'd want a gun you can have out immediately, such as a handgun in a pouch or holster.  If it needs to pack a punch, take a high-caliber firearm, but regardless, it'd kinda need to be available immediately, not after digging it from your pack and taking a second to assemble.  There's no reason to shoot anything at 100-yards "in an emergency."

For actual hunting, like Mud said, take an appropriate firearm for that.  I see almost no fathomable situation where you'd be stranded long enough in the NE to warrant shooting small game to survive.  You could walk to a road in a day from most places and be at a pancake house within 36 hours if "getting out" is your primary goal.  If you want to hunt, get a license and hunt.  But the "in case I need to hunt" thing doesn't really do much for ya'.  An ounce of fishing line and a few hooks would get ya' further in most places anyway.

As Mudinyeri noted, the whole setup kinda seems like a solution looking for a problem to solve.  Just my impression, take it or leave it as you wish.

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2012, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Unless you carry it assembled hanging from your pack harness it's useless for emergencies as mentioned, a waist belt Safepacker holster containing your EDC firearm would be more prudent and as for survival hunting? I'd rather just carry a plb.

As I recall the Armalite, store in the stock, type was developed for downed pilots which have an entirely different set of circumstances to contend with.
 Post Number: 5
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2012, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think what you will find here, on this board, is that the vast majority do not pack a gun at all, and those that do use a handgun carried in a pouch attached to the waistbelt or shoulder strap.  IMO, the weapons chosen so far are much more likely to find a following on a Survivor board.  Some folks just cannot have enough toys, as is the case with many of us here who are gear hos.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 6
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2012, 4:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm with what the others said above regarding personal protection.

And then there is the practical aspect of hunting with a .40S&W - it'll shred small game unless you are placing amazing head shots and I've never heard of anybody trying to hunt large game with it. And this is coming from an owner of a Beretta 96. It's a great round, but not in the applications you are considering.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 7
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2012, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bear spray.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 8
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2012, 6:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Jan. 17 2012, 4:33 pm)
Bear spray.

But it takes a lot to kill the rabbits...

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 9
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2012, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a Kel-Tec, so you're gonna have reliability problems.  Yes, you will (I've owned Kel-Tec).  I'll stick to my Ruger .357, although any gun is so damned heavy that I don't usually take one with me.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 10
FrearDPT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2012, 7:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Noted to all that have responded, thanks for the input...

Mudinyeri: The time it takes me to access the rifle ON my pack and have it ready to shoot is actually the SAME time it takes my buddy to draw a pistol out of his waist holster...
 Post Number: 11
paulbrown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2012, 11:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If it was the end of days and I had to pick one firearm, it would be a .22. That keltec is junk bro. Spend your $$ on gas to the trailhead.

--------------
- The dude abides
 Post Number: 12
Altarboy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2012, 11:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As a gun collector and a carry permit guy, I would have to say bear spray is king on the trail. It stops and animal much quicker and if you fall on it causing it to hit you or if you lose it, you won't be out as much.
 Post Number: 13
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2012, 7:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm always on the lookout for a Sub-2K that will take 9mm Glock mags, GREAT range toy.  I've never fired a KT that I'd trust my life to.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 14
Scott Free Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2012, 12:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Personally, I think this would be a horrible backpacking gun. Here's someone who disagrees with me: Kel-tec

--------------
See my photography here.
 Post Number: 15
Mudinyeri Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2012, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(FrearDPT @ Jan. 17 2012, 7:53 pm)
Noted to all that have responded, thanks for the input...

Mudinyeri: The time it takes me to access the rifle ON my pack and have it ready to shoot is actually the SAME time it takes my buddy to draw a pistol out of his waist holster...

I'm curious how you carry a carbine ON your pack that makes it as accessible (quick to draw) as a pistol in a holster.  Got pics?  Got videos?

--------------
"History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it. "  Walter Bagehot, Founder of the National Review
 Post Number: 16
homebrewd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2012, 1:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am an avid gun enthusiast (pardon the n00b post count), and quite frankly kel-tec is a low low low end brand for quality.  That being said, if you are looking for something more effective then a .22 and still enough stopping power to bring down small game they make a .22mag pistol that holds 30 rounds (Kel-Tec PMR-30).  I happen to own one, and I have put roughly 300 rounds through it without a hiccup.  Its super lightweight, everything is polymer except for the barrel and some internal components.  Their Carbines are okay, but .40 caliber is impractical for taking down game of any size (E.G. bear, mountain lion, Moose, etc.) and will shred small game.  If you want something small, light and easy to carry that is a great option.
 Post Number: 17
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2012, 2:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(justwalkin @ Jan. 17 2012, 7:36 pm)
It's a Kel-Tec, so you're gonna have reliability problems.  Yes, you will (I've owned Kel-Tec).  I'll stick to my Ruger .357, although any gun is so damned heavy that I don't usually take one with me.

Really?  A fluff and buff and my p3at has been perfect.

Honestly its my goto gun for backpacking, it weighs about 12oz loaded in a pocket holster.  I carry it for concerns about 2 legged predators and thankfully its never been seen on the trail.

Pictures and review of the holster I like
http://abnormal-pov.blogspot.com/2012/01/pocket-holster-review.html

Pistol caliber carbines are fun toys, decent trunk guns, and a pretty good option for a home defense weapon.  Also good for casual shooters who don't want to learn to shoot a "more serious" weapon system.

A quote I've heard to sum them up nicely is "They're like a handgun, but set on 'easy' mode"
 Post Number: 18
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 12:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sung to the tune of "I'm a Believer"

I thought hiking was only true if you carried nada
Meant for people only as brave as me
Fake hikers were out to get me
That's the way it seemed
Too much in their packs hindered my hiking dreams

Then I saw the bear's face, now I'm a fake hiker
Not a trace of poop in my rectum left behind
My shorts are stained, I'm a fake hiker
I couldn't leave bear spray behind if I tried.
 Post Number: 19
TWinAlbany Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 2:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:D  :D
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Colombian hiker...

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 21
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Dec. 03 2012, 3:54 pm)
Colombian hiker...

That bear doesn't seem to give a scat that Tony Montana is all up in his business.  :D

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just goes to show spray is better.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 5:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Dec. 03 2012, 3:57 pm)

(rayestrella @ Dec. 03 2012, 3:54 pm)
Colombian hiker...

That bear doesn't seem to give a scat that Tony Montana is all up in his business.  :D

That is because he was not useing the Kel Tec Sub 2000. The Kel Tec Sub 2000 is far superior to any other weapon. The Kel Tec Sub 2000 slices, dices, and make thing holy. Get your Kel Tec Sub 2000 now for just a small down payment and $19.95 each month for 60 month. Now you to can own your very own Kel Tec Sub 2000.  Call now and the first 100 callers will get a free Kel Tec Sub 2000 window sticker

Kel Tec Sub 2000 the only weapon better than Bear mace

Fine print

No Kel Tec Sub 2000 has ever taken down a bear but they have made smaller men feel larger than life. Kel Tec Sub 2000 is a trademark of Kel Tec the maker of fine backpacking equipment for fake backpackers everyplace.

This ad as not been reviewed or approved by the ATF, CIA, or NSP. The makers of the Kel Tec Sub 2000 recommends all users reevaluate their life choices if they are considering the purchase of the Kel Tec Sub 2000

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 24
Altarboy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

As a permit holder and gun collector, I only carry mace on the trail. It's lighter, easier to deploy at a fast charging bear (which has never happened to me) and it's less expensive to purchase.
Oh, and I have a keltec P11 as my daily carry (glovebox). It's ok. I leave the finer handguns at home for fear of losing them to a thief. Hard long trigger pull but it shoots. Also, I love the belt clip.
23 replies since Jan. 15 2012, 9:19 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Kel Tec Sub 2000, Anyone have one?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions