2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hiking Boots and Plantar fasciitis< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mtbiker1069 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2012, 8:57 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good Morning,
 My wife and I have started hiking together and we are looking at a variety of boots.  Unfortunately I suffer from Plantar fasciitis and am wondering if any of you know of any particular brands of hiking boots/shoes that you've used that have helped your feet from becoming inflamed with Plantar fasciitis?

Thanks,
Mark
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
rpcv Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2012, 9:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can only speak to what helped me with plantar fasciaitis (sp?).  I found that most hiking boots didn't have enough arch support (I have very high arches) with the stock insoles.  I use orthotics in my boots.  These days, I have it under control and Superfeet would probably be sufficient, but I have the orthotics, so I haven't experimented with that.  Basically, I found that, as long as the boots fit well, I could replace the stock insole with my own and they would work.  Others' experiences may differ.

When it was the worst, I would tape my arches before a hike with a non-stretch tape.  My podiatrist showed me how to do it.  I also stretched and iced after hikes (I found that filling a 20 oz soda bottle with water and freezing it made the best tool for icing).  A tennis ball is great for stretching.

--------------
Silver Spring Wanderer
 Post Number: 3
okmtbr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2012, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You may give Superfeet insoles a shot. They really work for my fallen arches & I've heard quite a few people who have had good results with them alleviating planar fasciitis.
 Post Number: 4
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2012, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You guys/gals with PF and or orthotics might want to read this http://sock-doc.com/2011/03/plantar-fasciitis/ and http://sock-doc.com/2011/09/unnecessary-orthotics/ Gives an interestingly different viewpoint. Not saying he is 100% right, but so far everything I have tried has worked wonders and others I've talked to also.

After a bad case of PF and my doc saying I may need more arch support or orthotics, etc (the standard response) I did what the Soc Doc suggests which was pretty much dead opposite of my doc and my feet have never been better, even running with absolutely no support (barefoot and also minimalist shoes).

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 5
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2012, 3:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While I think there is some good advice to be had in those articles, I think that we'd best just respond to the issue the OP asks about. If the PF is already there, the tendons need to be allowed to recuperate, and minimising their use is the best way to start. Using orthotics allows the foot to continue to be used while minimising the use of the tendons involved. Maybe not a good long term strategy, but helpful in the short term.

Anyway - OP - as stated above, most boots offer stabilizing effects, but it is probably not enough for people already suffering from PF. They usually don't have much arch support either. You're better off finding a more neutral boot that can accomodate an over the counter orthotic (e.g. as mentioned superfeet) or a prescription orthotic.

You need to focus on something that fits you well first, then look to modifying the function with orthotics to help. So it depends on your fit needs. I can suggest the Salmon Quest 4D has better stabilising than most, but little arch support and not a lot of volume (especially in the toes) so modifying them with an orthotic may be more difficult. I found that using superfeet in them cramped my toes badly and created other problems for me, and it also overdid the stabilising to the point where I was actually mistepping.
 Post Number: 6
bikehikefish Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2012, 5:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 on the Superfeet, as they gave me instant relief from the pain

Going barefoot aggravated the injury.
 Post Number: 7
gohawks Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2012, 5:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I lost 40 lbs. no more PF.
 Post Number: 8
Mountain Dog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2012, 7:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had a bad case of PF.  I tried various remedies and over the counter OD.  I finally bit the bullet and got some prescribed OD.  I have a set in my normal shoes and my hiking boots.  I no longer have a problem.  That said, a lot of podiatrist prescribe over the counter OD now because they are designed for "most" feet.  My feet are different than most.  I hiked with some hikers on the AT that purchased over the counter OD while hiking.  They about crippled themselves because they did not phase into the OD as recommended.

--------------
If you faint in the face of adversity then your strength is indeed small.
 Post Number: 9
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2012, 9:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bought orthotics.  Include them in fitting for my hiking shoes.  

I don't go anywhere without them.  

Took 3 months - about - to be free of pain - 15 years ago.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 10
oldhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2012, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have arthritis in my big toe joints and tried all types of insoles and orthotics.  Finally read a post by a thru-hiker on the PC trail and she recommended Lynco insoles.  I tried them and they work great.  They have different types including one for PF.  Go to their website and check them out.
 Post Number: 11
chamberlain Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2012, 8:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

sorry, i can't really provide any insight into the original post, but some worthy advice i can give in order to deal with plantar is one of those rubz balls. they are sold through rei (http://www.rei.com/product/706082/surefoot-foot-rubz). it absolutely worked wonders for me. it hurt, but after a week or so i was good to go. i kept reading information about going barefoot, but it simply made it worse for me.

regardless, good luck. it was a terrible experience.

take care of yourselves,

chamberlain
10 replies since Mar. 09 2012, 8:57 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hiking Boots and Plantar fasciitis
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions