2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Camp-Tek Microburst Inflator, Inflator review< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 12:28 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wrote up the Microburst. It is pretty nice for effortless inflation.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews....strella

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I love our Microburst. We've had it for a year now with no problems.
We use it on our BA IAC pads.
 Post Number: 3
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's awesome. I purchased one after a buddy of mine let me use it on my neoair a couple of weeks ago.  I was out this past weekend and let a couple of friends use it. Great little gadget.
 Post Number: 4
LoneWolfe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ray, thanks for the review and introducing me to something else that "I have to have". :D   This seems like a great option for inflating my BA pad.

--------------
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.  ~Albert Einstein
 Post Number: 5
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2012, 6:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice review Ray. I got one of these about 4 months ago, for when I take 2 or 3 of my kids out with me. I figured it would come in handy and they could use it to blow up their pads..instead of useing my lungs to fill 4 pads. Its a great little tool and a huge help. Good idea about useing it in winter..thanks.

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2012, 6:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I only carry batteries in my light sources, but was interested in reading the review anyway.  Currently, I use an instaflator to blow up my Neo Air.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2012, 9:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have been trying to decide between this and the instaflator. It looks like either one of these would be a nice edition. Glad to read the review.
 Post Number: 8
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2012, 10:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As usual, nice review Ray!

Just thinking out loud... I was wondering about battery life with them...it is cool that they will accept the lithium batteries in terms of longer battery life and of course, lighter weight ( :) ).  But I was wondering how forceful the fan was... I know that some of the wood stoves use fans in them and I was wondering if this one could aid a wood stove in some way to create a hotter, more efficient fire, as well as to blow up air pads.

Oh yeah...and I loved seeing the different pads in there...I take it that was the XLite, or have you already scored a XTherm? I am really curious as to how much of these pads are actually cut away now that they have went to back to the mummy-cut designs... (I wish they would have kept the rectangular design...maybe that's just me though...)

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2012, 5:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think that the secret is the stators (propellers) as much as the motor Stick.

They say it will do 25 pads on a set of batteries, but I never tried it as I was only out when it was cold and I want fresh batteries in everything.

It is an X-Therm but a regular size and I was able to use it with a sleeping bag but not my quilt well because of the tapered shape. I need to try the Large with them. I too like the rectangular shape better (wouldn't all side-sleepers?).

--------------
 Post Number: 10
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2012, 8:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Ray.  And I hear ya on new fresh batteries when heading out! Especially in winter...

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2012, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(STICK @ Apr. 19 2012, 9:11 pm)
I was wondering how forceful the fan was... I know that some of the wood stoves use fans in them and I was wondering if this one could aid a wood stove in some way to create a hotter, more efficient fire

Just noticed that part.

Just get a Trail Designs Caldera Cone with an Inferno insert and you won't need a fan. ;-)

I decided to see how long the batteries will last for you Stick. (I am going to add this to the review too as it is good info. Thanks for making me think of it.)

Microburst addendum

To test the battery life of the Microburst I took a set of batteries that came from my last winter trip that had been used for six inflations at cold temps and put them back into the inflator. I set it on the table and just let it run solid.

At 51 minutes I hooked it up to an Exped DownMat 9 (old style, 3.5 in thick) and it inflated it in less than 3 minutes. I put it back on the table and let it keep running as I lay on the mat to get the air back out. At 1 hour even I hooked it up again to the Exped and it inflated it once more in under 3 minutes. Again I unhooked and squished the air out of the pad as the Microburst kept running. At 1 hour, 10 minutes I attached it yet again to the DownMat. This time I used a stopwatch to get the timing exact. It was inflated to usable fill (I don’t make my down pads hard) at 3:05

At 1 hour, 17 minutes I timed one inflation which took 3:16. At 1 hour, 40 minutes I timed another one which took 3:20. At 1 hour, 50 minutes I timed another that took 3:25.

Finally at 2 hours 20 minutes I did a last inflation (as I was getting bored and it hurts my busted ankle to wallow on the floor with the DownMat) which took 3:35. I then put the Microburst back on the table to wait for it to run dead. But I ran out of time before the batteries quit. I ran it for three straight hours and then had to get ready to leave to pick up my kids and do some shopping. It was still going strong!

The run-time of it is very impressive. Camp-Tek says that the Microburst should do at least 25 fills from a fresh set of batteries. I think that number can easily be doubled in warm temps (65 F/18 C or above).

--------------
 Post Number: 12
davela Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2012, 3:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Leslies pool supplies has the Instaflator on clearance for 1$.

--------------

Protect Greater Canyonlands!

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.
 Post Number: 13
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2012, 10:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Apr. 21 2012, 1:53 pm)

(STICK @ Apr. 19 2012, 9:11 pm)
I was wondering how forceful the fan was... I know that some of the wood stoves use fans in them and I was wondering if this one could aid a wood stove in some way to create a hotter, more efficient fire

Just noticed that part.

Just get a Trail Designs Caldera Cone with an Inferno insert and you won't need a fan. ;-)

I decided to see how long the batteries will last for you Stick. (I am going to add this to the review too as it is good info. Thanks for making me think of it.)

Wow, thanks Ray! I appreciate it...and wow...that thing is impressive... Very nice...

And speaking of getting a TD CC w/ the inferno insert...it just so happens that one arrived on my doorstep today! I actually entered a recent contest over on Trail Groove and won! Aaron and Jen from Trail Groove provided the 1.3L UL (uncoated) Evernew Ti cook pot with the matching TD Sidewinder Ti-Tri Caldera Cone. And to make it even better, when the guys at TD shipped it all out, they threw in the entire Inferno insert and even a yummy looking bar to go with it! I was major excited to get this system in today. I have been wanting to get this exact same set-up for my current 0.9L Evernew Ti cook pot, but now I have it all for the 1.3L cookpot. The 1.3L will be more appropriate for 2 people anyway... I can't wait to use it...

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2012, 7:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sweet. That is a nice pot too. Have fun with it. I won't be able to get out with mine until June at the soonest.

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well Ray you mentioned this in another post about pads and wanted to chime in on this.

I got mine back in October and have only used it a couple of times and I am a little confused. It may be just my high expectations, but it just didn't seem to inflate the pad real well. The first attempt was a backyard trial. I inflated my pad in 41 degrees. It aired it up a little. Had to finish it off by lung power. The second was this past Friday. It was about 50 degrees. It seemed like it might have done it a little better. Still required a little lung power.

I am not real confident on the connection. The attach rubber piece doesn't fit my pad. I use the plastic adapter and it looks like there is a chunk of plastic missing from it. So I have to watch it closely to make sure the connection is good and stays on. The pad is the infamous IAC.

Any thoughts?
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 7:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't use the adapter. That is just for Stephenson pads, they have a weird valve. Just put the grey rubber over the valve stem. After the kids are off to school I will get one of their IAC pads and look at it.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
mankind117 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 8:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does this work with exped pads? I know the inflation valve on my exped pillow is very different than my neoairs
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 9:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got BA IAC pads and use the microburst all the time with it and have no problems with it fitting on the valve. As for getting the pads all the way totally inflated, you are not going to get it filled as tight as a balloon, lioke you can with your lungs. Mine and my wife both like ours filled up as much as the inflator can get it and the pad is softer to sleep on as opposed to being a rigid board.
 Post Number: 19
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I notice when looking to purchase one the price has gone up $10 since your review, Ray.

only $39.95 (free shipping in U.S.

That is a steep increase form $29.95

Guess I'll keep blowing for now.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 20
vigilguy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have had one for awhile and really like it. Works like a charm.  Glad that there is an adapter for the Stephenson Warmlite DAM since I have one of those coming.  I prefer to use this Micro burst over using a billows type stuff sack. No need for climbing outside the tent to blow up your air mattress. Pricey though.
 Post Number: 21
Fatpacking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(STICK @ Apr. 20 2012, 8:19 am)
Thanks Ray.  And I hear ya on new fresh batteries when heading out! Especially in winter...

I'm sure most here know this already, but in case anyone doesn't, if you keep your batteries/battery operated device in a interior pocket on your person in cold weather, the batteries won't suffer from cold weather drain and they'll be ready to use instantly rather than warming them up first. I know that when doing photography in the cold, if I don't keep my battery warm, it will reduce the number of shots I can take on a charge by as much as half.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 2:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always use rechargeable AAA and AA batteries.
 Post Number: 23
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 3:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just when I thought my Instaflator was the hot ticket. Oh well, haven't bought any gear for a while.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 9:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, so I did some more testing. It will fit with just the silicon nozzle. That is great news. That issue is fixed.

I also learned that it will fill the pad to the correct level. I do not need to add additional breaths to the pad. Success number two.

As for the price, I wished it would have been cheaper too. But I viewed this as an investment. I didn't want the moisture from my breath in the insulation in the pad. Additionally I didn't know what the impact of spam, tuna, and chicken breath would have on the insulation or pad material. Hehe. So that is how I overcome the price.
 Post Number: 25
Dennis Waite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 5:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mine had a bit of trouble inflating my Thermarest Prolite Pro after being rolled tightly in -10 weather. It didn't have enough "push" to force the air into a stiffened cover. It would partially inflate, then just run and run with no change to the pad. Fresh batteries, tried letting the pad "relax" for 1/2 and hour, etc.; no difference. Perhaps moisture in a Prolite isn't the big deal as it is in a down filled pad.

--------------
Dennis Waite
 Post Number: 26
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 8:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK even though I bitched about the higher price I went ahead an order one of these.

It arrived yesterday. Neat little gizmo. Still trying to figure out what makes it turn on and off. It's kinda magical in that respect. Need to go out to the gear garage and get a pad to test it out.

I almost broke the battery cover trying to remove that but, didn't

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 27
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I ordered two of them last year, and I took them on our "annual Thanksgiving family campout" last year and sprang 'em on friends who were used to the huff-n-puff method, but I have to admit that I used them a couple of times, then went back to my trusty Exped mini pillow pump, which has been very dependable for a fairly long time. Yes, I have to modify the Exped somewhat (with tubing, or rubber band around the valve) to fit various mats, but it works well, and I don't have to worry about batteries - at least for pumps. I actually prefer lung power for the simplest method, but all the talk about water vapor in these new $200 inflatable mats made me start rethinking that. Anyway, it's good to have options, this being yet another of those HYOH sort of things.
26 replies since Apr. 17 2012, 12:28 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Camp-Tek Microburst Inflator
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions