2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Locations where gear can be borrowed< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 3:30 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So far, in another thread but mentioned by that wonderful RebeccaD, we have offers to loan out gear in the following cities:  SFO, PDX, IAH (which could also mean HOU if flying SW )

Anyone else want to volunteer some of their gear as loaner gear?

For those who visit the same place over and over, there are also folks who have room to store gear.  This community just keeps amazing me with it's generosity.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Dicentra Search for posts by this member.
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 3:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seattle.  

Must be an established poster, no newbies.

Can also provide rides to/from airport. Those I'd do for a newbie.

--------------
One Pan Wonders  ~  Back Country Cooking at its Finest
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sure, if anyone wants to fly to Illinois to go backpacking, I'll loan you the number to my shrink :)

In all fairness, great idea, nice to see so many generous people here.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 4
kcwins Search for posts by this member.
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 3:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yup right here. Add Michigan to the list. I travel from S.E. MI to N.W. MI on a regular basis. So if your on your way to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Manistee River Trail, High Country Pathway, Isle Royale, etc.....  I can help.

In return???? coffee.

Great idea!!

--------------
Signature removed for lack of payment
 Post Number: 5
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Add parts of Texas and New Mexico

Always will to do what I can - anyone

Can also provide rides to and from the airport - anyone

Pickup fuel cans for your stove – anyone

Pickup other supplies if needed – anyone

Have some equipment if needed, PM me if you are in need to borrow something that you could not or did not want to travel with. - established poster, no newbie’s

If you wish to store gear with me feel free to ship it my way. - established poster, no newbie’s

Need a place to crash overnight before heading out to your destination, worst case scenario you can always camp in my backyard - established poster, no newbie’s

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 6
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 7:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think I'll go along with CityMan's rules (and offers) for SFO.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 7
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 7:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great idea Rebecca!

Raleigh-Durham International Airport, NC

Assistance with rides, fuel and supplies (nearby REI)
Will receive shipped gear and can loan some gear to established posters
 Post Number: 8
kcwins Search for posts by this member.
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 7:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DukeFan @ Apr. 17 2012, 7:13 pm)
Great idea Rebecca!

Raleigh-Durham International Airport, NC

Assistance with rides, fuel and supplies (nearby REI)
Will receive shipped gear and can loan some gear to established posters

DF, If you do DC's trip in the Fall let me know. I drive out every year and may be able to help with fuel or whatever.......

--------------
Signature removed for lack of payment
 Post Number: 9
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 7:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wish my current set-up were so good that all of my back-up items were stellar. Someday....

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 10
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll play. Atlanta. A lot of you can make my house yours and borrow anything of mine. The rest of you I will just lie to.   :)

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 11
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 7:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Denver.... ouch, this one could be a job... hmmmm maybe I should consider that.    

City Man has some good guidelines.

I will consider shuttling people to trailheads, however I cannot do that for free.  No job = poor Deborah.  

Many of the regulars here know the way to my house and they know they are welcome again.  Many others know they are welcome any time.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 12
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 7:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, a good general rule might be, some gear available to most posters, newbies excluded.  Lots of airport assistance is being offered.  Stoves and fuel might be the easiest thing to loan out with the flying regulations. Let's see if I have this correct.  So far we have:

San Francisco
Houston
Portland
Seattle
Michigan
New Mexico
RDU in North Carolina
Atlanta
Denver
Orlando

Looks like we have at least some coverage for the big destinations, except for PHX as a gateway to the Canyon, and LAS for Death Valley, Zion, etc...  Missing input from the North end of the AT, as well.

We all know it costs to drive someone to and from the airport, or to and from a trailhead.  Please tip generously.  It would cost much more to rent a vehicle and leave it sitting at the TH. 

This is what I am talking about when I say we are just a small community with an interest in each other.  

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 13
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 7:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Apr. 17 2012, 5:54 pm)
We also are missing a big chunk of the Rockies, but we also have a large PG crowd who might be willing to share at least a little space to crash.

You must have been typing at the same time I was.

DEN

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 14
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 7:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I at least could go back and edit.  :)  

--------------

Post Number: 15
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll say you can count me in for Orlando, MCO is our airport code.

We have a great outdoor store here, Travel Country Outdoors. Many of you will probably never visit Florida for hiking/backpacking, but I'd shuttle or loan camping gear for paddling trips too.

If anyone is coming for touristy things, I can always make suggestions for day hikes or unique outdoor ideas to get you out of Mouse town :)

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 16
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Having extremely limited space (no spare bedroom) and little kids at home, I can't necessarily go out on the limb right now for a completely open invitation to my apartment except on rare occasions (it's a university housing facility, so you couldn't sleep in the yard either).  BUT, I do have gear.  And a car.

That said, with most of City Man's sensible limitations (re: established posters), I am willing to lend an old pack, tent, stove, etc.  Or a ride to the trailhead (time and gas willing) to/from Boulder, CO.  (Nearest airport is Denver/DEN... you could probably just update Denver to "Denver/Boulder".)  I can stash stuff at my place while you're out, no sweat.  PM me and ship it here if you want, no sweat at all.  So, in a limited fashion, put Boulder on the list too. :)  I've received a lot of good karma over the years, I'd be remiss to not offer it myself.

Anyone PM me any time if interested.

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 17
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 8:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This was pinned at my request, and I also suggested it probably belonged in Gear.  Steve is a wonderful fellow.

--------------

Post Number: 18
Three Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 8:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd just be happy to find someone willing to lend me or rent me some bear spray.

Right now it looks like I'll be flying into Glacier and Banff this summer and don't relish having to buy and abandon bear spray at each place.
 Post Number: 19
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 8:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone going to Trail Days in Damascus, VA?
I can shuttle to the AT in southern VA, Mountains to Sea Trail in NC, and to several trails around Asheville, NC with enough advance notice for me to juggle my work schedule at the hospital.
 Post Number: 20
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 9:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(City Man @ Apr. 17 2012, 5:48 pm)
Always will to do what I can - anyone

Can also provide rides to and from the airport - anyone

Pickup fuel cans for your stove – anyone

Pickup other supplies if needed – anyone

Have some equipment if needed, PM me if you are in need to borrow something that you could not or did not want to travel with. - established poster, no newbie’s

If you wish to store gear with me feel free to ship it my way. - established poster, no newbie’s

Need a place to crash overnight before heading out to your destination, worst case scenario you can always camp in my backyard - established poster, no newbie’s

What he said  in NJ outside of Philly. PM if you need a helping hand

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 21
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 10:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bend/Central Oregon established posters only

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 22
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 10:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're close to ONT - IMHO a much, much easier airport to get in and out of than LAX if you are flying into So Cal.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 23
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can help with shuttles around the Smokys and the AT from the Smokys to Damascus. I have a couple of pieces of gear that I could lend and a couch or a yard to sleep in.

@Zeke; I was just kidding about borrowing the kayak, but it has spawned a good idea.  :)
 Post Number: 24
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2012, 4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some good people like Deborah have put this thought into my head, I am willing to shuttle people to the trailheads.  There are of course 3 main conditions:

1. Established poster, no newbie’s do to the distances needed to be shuttled.

2. Should kick in some gas money, not all but some will help, the reason for this is mentioned below.

3. Give some advance notice to make sure I am available.

I am about to retire so I should be more available unless I am on the trail myself.

The reason for asking you good people to kick in toward the gas is the simple fact that for most people that travel through El Paso to head to a trailhead still have 90 to 150+ miles to go to get to a trailhead.

Hueco Tanks State Park – around 20 miles from my house – no big deal

Any trailhead around or in the City – No big deal

Guadalupe Mountains National Park – around 90 miles from my house – With advance notice I may be willing to drop you off and return when you are ready to be picked up.

Lincoln National Forest – around 90 to 150 miles from my house depending on what part of the forest you are headed to.  Again with advance notice I may be willing to drop you off and return when you are ready to be picked up.

Gila Wilderness and Aldo Leopold Wilderness – Most trips to either will be around 200 miles+ depending on what part of the Gila you plan on doing. Even being shuttled here I would suggest that you plan to camp out the first night before you start your backpacking trip. Though again with advance notice I may be willing to drop you off and return when you are ready to be picked up. Usually only if I plan to campout myself before heading back.

Cibola National Forest - around 150+ miles from my house depending on what part of the forest you are headed to.  Again with advance notice I may be willing to drop you off and return when you are ready to be picked up.

White Sands – around 90 miles. Again with advance notice I may be willing to drop you off and return when you are ready to be picked up.

Big Bend National Park – around 300 miles. Only if I plan to campout myself before heading back.

The list can go on but I see no need, as you can tell there are a few destinations from where I live but most are not just around the corner. My cutoff for shuttling will be around 200 miles and on the big mile shuttles only if I plan on camping overnight before I head back, then again I feel it is way more then most will need to offer do to the fact that most places that people live are closer to the destinations around them. Here in the west 100 miles is like 10 miles on the east coast in a way.

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 25
CubsFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2012, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I could provide some shuttling services up around Fort Collins, Colorado (Rocky Mountain National Park, Poudre Canyon, Cameron Pass, etc..)
 Post Number: 26
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2012, 8:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sort of near Philly.  If you need something eggs doesn't have, or if you need a shorter version, let me know.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 27
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2012, 8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll be flying in to the following locations in the next 6 months or so and will be in need of beer, food and a place crash for at least a week in each location.  Can anyone help me out?

--------------
 Post Number: 28
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2012, 9:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can help with the area about an hour south of Portland, Or.  Food for a week is in the bucket in the basement, along with the hammock.  Beer is right down the road about 1/4 mile.  :)

--------------

Post Number: 29
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2012, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Apr. 23 2012, 8:45 pm)
I'll be flying in to the following locations in the next 6 months or so and will be in need of beer, food and a place crash for at least a week in each location.  Can anyone help me out?

Plenty of Keystone light, hotdogs and room for a cot in the garage.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 30
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2012, 8:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Damn, I for got to list my destinations . . . here they are:

San Francisco
Houston
Portland
Seattle
Michigan
New Mexico
RDU in North Carolina
Atlanta
Denver
Orlando

--------------
55 replies since Apr. 17 2012, 3:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Locations where gear can be borrowed
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions