2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Antique Stoves, Conversation piece...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Shnick Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2012, 10:11 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Went to a local flea market and came across these little jems.  First one is a "Whitall Tatum Co." Pocket Stove, comes with a burner, pot and stove stand, which has steps for adjusting the height of the burner and the pot.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Get out there...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2012, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Second is a Svea No. 105.  This is by no means a pocket stove, the whole thing stood about 10" tall and weighed about 3 lbs and seemed to have a fix or two applied.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Get out there...
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2012, 10:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is the top of the Svea 105 stove,

I'll be contacting the seller to get more info on these, but in the meantime, anyone know anything about them?

Shnick

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Get out there...
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2012, 10:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love the etching done on the brass, I've always liked that look.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Get out there...
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2012, 10:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One last look at the Whitall, showing it nested inside the pot.

Oh yeah, the box indicates it's dated circa 1887.

Shnick

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Get out there...
 Post Number: 6
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2012, 11:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i know nothing about old stoves, but your old find's are cool. i like the stamping on the brass one also, nice find's.
 Post Number: 7
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2012, 9:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pretty neat stoves. That was probably cutting edge stuff for back in their day. They would be great conversation pieces to have on display. I imagine they would clean up pretty nice and shine up real pretty.
 Post Number: 8
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2012, 9:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Apr. 21 2012, 6:03 am)
That was probably cutting edge stuff for back in their day. They would be great conversation pieces to have on display. I imagine they would clean up pretty nice and shine up real pretty.

Hey, I represent that remark.  Careful who you are calling old. :)  Not so many years ago I was still using an old Optimus stove.
Nice find.
 Post Number: 9
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2012, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This site should be able to help you with these

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/index.php

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
reggie6650 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just came across one of these Whitall Tatum pocket stoves at a garage sale and want to try it out, but am not sure what type of fuel it burns. Also, do you remove the small cap only or the large cap? Anyone know? Your help/knowledge will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Reggie6650
 Post Number: 11
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 5:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reggie6650 @ Nov. 15 2012, 11:56 pm)
I just came across one of these Whitall Tatum pocket stoves at a garage sale and want to try it out, but am not sure what type of fuel it burns. Also, do you remove the small cap only or the large cap? Anyone know? Your help/knowledge will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Reggie6650

Have a look at this site

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12
marzsit Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 10:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the whitall tatum stove is an alcohol burning stove, the svea 105 is a kerosene burning stove. the svea requires priming with alcohol in the cup below the burner before it can be pumped up to pressure using the hand pump. the flame is controlled by a combination of pumping and releasing tank pressure by the small knob on top of the filler cap. only burn kerosene or diesel in this type of stove, never gasoline or coleman fuel! it can and probably will explode if you are dumb enough to try it.........

--------------
Windows XP Professional x64: Windows is now a 64 bit tweak of a 32 bit extension to a 16 bit user interface
for an 8 bit operating system based on a 4 bit architecture from a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
 Post Number: 13
Altarboy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love antique camp stoves. My mom was a girl scout leader and I remember her making me what was called a buddy stove and I loved using it until we went to a camp out and I saw the nice stoves the people with money were using.
12 replies since Apr. 20 2012, 10:11 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Antique Stoves
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions