2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Chinook Polar Extreme Sleeping Bags -40C, Anyone heard anything about em?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jooleyen Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2012, 10:51 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.ebay.com/itm....wt_1364

Doesn't this seem a bit cheap for a -40 down sleeping bag?
Has anyone used their stuff? ???
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2012, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Compare it to Feathered Friend's -40 850 fill (Fill weight: 42.7 oz) bag and 3.3 lbs of 600 fill does not compute to a -40 degree bag. The price (considering it's 600 fill...does)

http://www.featheredfriends.com/picasso/bags/Product/-40Degree.html

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2012, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Chinook 32* bag. It's lightweight, packs small, and is perfect...for summer.  :D
 Post Number: 4
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2012, 6:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(fifeplayer @ Jul. 21 2012, 12:28 pm)
I have a Chinook 32* bag. It's lightweight, packs small, and is perfect...for summer.  :D

+1  I Have a summer bag as well.  Very small, light and not too expensive.  I like the rectangle bag with the extended hood.  Chinook makes all kinds of gear.  Not very well known.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 5
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2012, 8:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.chinooktec.com/

They are a Canadian company.

The 52 oz of 600 fill is going to be borderline for -40 in my figuring. Compared to my 800 or 850 winter bags it would take 60 oz of 600 to equal them.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2012, 10:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's too bad. I want cheap excellent stufff...but that doesn't usually exist. I'm scared to get it.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2012, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you actually planning to see -40? I bet it would be fine to around -25 F. I wish they said how high the baffles are as that would give more indication as to its loft. If you do plan to be that cold I would hesitate.

I have a very sweet -20 bag for sale here:

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1154517

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2012, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, that's pretty sweet, but after getting just a 0F bag from REI goose down for $139 on sale from 280 (which I just had to have at that price since im a cheapass), I told myself that if it gets below that temperature, I'll just build a snowshelter. Fun to build anyways. If there ain't snow then it's got to be a fire. If there is no wood, then I'm screwed.
 Post Number: 9
00das00 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Full disclosure I do not have experience with this particular bag nor do I know the exact dimensions of either this or the feathered friends one mentioned. This comment is in reference to the comment comparing an 850 fill feathered friends -40 bag to this chinook -40 bag

It does seem at least possible that this bag could be -40 with 3.3 lbs 600 fill down when compared to 42.7 oz 850 fill -40

The warmth of the bag depends largely on the loft

Lets first examine the cubic inches each scenario can fill
Chinook 600 in3 / oz x 3.3 lb * 16 oz/lb=31680in3
Feathered Friends 850 in3/ oz * 42.7 oz =36295in3

We can see that the feathered friends bag can fill ~13% more volume, so what if the chinook bag had ~13% less total Space to be filled?

Lets look at the loft needed
According to prominent industry standards Loft needed
=-0.0625x +3.5 (where x is the temperature (F))
if x = -40 than 6.4 inches of loft would be required.

If both bags were unzipped, opened and laid out flat, in order to achieve a loft of 6.4inches the feathered friends bag could have an area of 5671in2 and the chinook bag could have a total area of 4950 in2.

To sum up, if a bag with less cubic inches of fill also has fewer square inches to fill, it can achieve the same loft.

While there are other factors to consider in determining the warmth of a bag, without getting into the technical construction, loft is certainly the most important for the purpose of this comparison.

Possible yes, as comfortable, probably not

Just thought I'd throw that out there
 Post Number: 10
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd +1 on Ray's suggestion to consider whether or not you'll actually be sleeping in -40* conditions or not.  Most people never do. If you reasonably expect -10 or -20F at the coldest, you're just spending more and carrying more than you need. If you do realistically expect -40, then feel free to ignore me. :)

As for the Chinook bag, I dunno, I've never tried one.  But looking at the specs I'd be inclined to agree with others' assessments. Probably optimistic at that rating.  Probably.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seeing as the company does not even make that bag any longer (or any -40 down bags) I would hesitate even more.

http://www.chinooktec.com/index.php/sleeping-bags/chinook-down

--------------
 Post Number: 12
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

i'm sorry, but the weight and warmth estimates do not quite add up for the Chinook sleeping bags.   the polar ice is claimed to have 42 ounces of down fill 600 fill power and weighs 3.5 pounds, according to the website.  that bag is rated to -22f, they claim.  

by comparison, the marmot col, a -20f bag that's reliably useful for that temperature, has 38 ounces of 800 fill power down and weighs 4 pounds.  

the mountain hardwear ghost SL sleeping bag i use in the winter, a true -40c/-40f bag, has 44 ounces of down fill (800 fill power)....and weighs 5 1/2 pounds.

you should be scared by these kinds of inaccuracies.  they can make you extremely uncomfortable and could, if grossly exaggerated, kill you in a cold snap, if you winter hike and could actually encounter -30/-40 temperatures.  

unfortunately, you can't find a good down bag for -20f/-40f at an inexpensive price.  alpenglowgear.com sometimes has great deals on winter bags, basegear has 20% off deals...so you could end up paying a little more than $500 and still save a hundred or two off the full retail.  another option, if you really want to save, is to find places that rent winter equipment and try to buy a used bag.  further, a synthetic bag like the north face darkstar is a fair bit less expensive, and i have used older models of that sleeping bag to -20 or so comfortably.
11 replies since Jul. 21 2012, 10:51 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Chinook Polar Extreme Sleeping Bags -40C
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions