2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Winter Hiking Gloves? Waterproof?, Suggestions welcome.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 28 2012, 9:07 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I tend to be the guy who's hands get cold when the temps hit 50 degrees or lower, so I like to keep a nice pair of gloves.
Can anyone recommend some nice winter hiking gloves? Preferably nothing bulky, I need dexterity as I would like to use them backpacking.
Waterproof is necessary, as I often end up hiking in freezing rain, that ices over. Frozen gloves suck.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 28 2012, 11:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got some BD goretex shells I can put over whatever or wear alone. Don't know if they still make them.

When I want maximum dexterity I wer them over fingerless fleece gloves.
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 28 2012, 11:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I go to my giant bin of gloves and pick whatever strikes my fancy.  "Winter" means a lot of different things to me, and I sheepishly admit that I have a couple pairs of gloves for each of those things.

One of my favorites (for its versatility) is a pair of Gordini double-layer fleece gloves with a waterproof membrane.  I'll use those from the 40s down into the teens in all kinds of weather.
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 29 2012, 12:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Winter and dexterity is a loose term. How cold makes a big difference. I prefer gauntlet style gloves. I use Outdoor Research Pro Modular gloves. They are the only glove I've owned that I trust to bring on an extended trip without backup. Having the ability to change out the liner when they get damp from sweat is a big benefit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm....wt_1037

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
camper10469 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 29 2012, 12:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Liners while hiking n a down mitt when we are in camp n if it gets really cold with a capitol F, I'll throw on everything I have including my socks if I have to.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 29 2012, 6:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 on the OR brand gloves and mittens.
 Post Number: 7
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 29 2012, 7:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a three glove layer system.  An over-mitten (waterproof, but not very breathable), a fleece under-mitten (ems brand with the flip down covers for fingers and thumb), and a polyester hunting glove (remington brand sold at walmart))

The hunting gloves are all I wear while on the move.  The over-mittens just dangle from my by wrist until needed.  When stopped for long periods or at the campsite I put the ems fleece mittens on over the shooting gloves, then put the over-mittens on for added warmth and to stay dry.
 Post Number: 8
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 29 2012, 9:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If your fingers get cold that easily, I'd suggest fleece gloves inside of mitten overgloves. I picked up a pair of Altitude 3-in-1 mittens from EMS that work quite well for me in super cold weather. In more normal cold I use a pair of 3-in-1 MECs.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 29 2012, 8:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think I like Thomas's idea.
Fleece with some sort of mitten. I know there are some gloves that have a sort of built in mitten that you can take on and off. Perhaps that's an option?
The OR gloves look a little too hefty for me.
I rarely dip below 20 degrees when backpacking.
 Post Number: 10
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2012, 5:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i layer.  the core is usually a thicker glove liner, eg patagonia's expedition capilene.  substitute any close-fitting fleece glove you like.  the capilene wicks pretty well, which can be a plus.

after that, i'll wear a thicker fleece glove or an OR gripper glove, which is a fairly thin windstopper fleece with a tacky material on the first two fingers, thumb, and palm.  the windstopper is great with wind, mist, and snow, but it can soak through in a steady rain.  not bulky.

after that, if i want my hands to be somewhat useful, i have a pair of lobster overmitts; lobster meaning the thumb and index finger are separate, and the three smaller fingers are together.

if i'm going to be in consistently freezing temperatures, and certainly sub-zero temperatures, i sacrifice dexterity for warm and use primaloft-insulated mitts with gore tex gauntlet shells.  OR's alti-mitt is the warmest system i have used.  i wear them with glove liners and bring the windstopper gloves in case i need to do anything with my fingers for more than a few seconds.  

whatever kind of glove you choose, i cannot emphasize in strong enough words that you need to bring a spare set of them in colder weather and use the runaway leashes on your shell overmitts.  mitts and gloves have a habit of getting dropped or blown away.  fingers aren't very replaceable.
 Post Number: 11
N2theWild Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2012, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The best ones I've encountered are some cold weather running gloves from Under Armour.

I use them for snowboarding as well as hiking because they aren't bulky and it's easy to do things with them on.

Water proof, warm, and look badarse.  I highly recommend.

--------------
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, (2 Timothy 4:3)
 Post Number: 12
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2012, 2:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(N2theWild @ Sep. 11 2012, 9:20 am)
The best ones I've encountered are some cold weather running gloves from Under Armour.

I use them for snowboarding as well as hiking because they aren't bulky and it's easy to do things with them on.

Water proof, warm, and look badarse.  I highly recommend.

I looked through Under Armour's glove selection. All I can see is some with DWR on them. They aren't waterproof. Do you have a link to them? They also look pretty damn thin. Maybe fine for when your moving but would suck for sitting around camp in 20 degree weather.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2012, 5:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like you're correct Tigger.

These are what I have. They list them as rain resistant instead of proof.
I have yet to get wet in these things while snowboarding or hiking so I assumed they were waterproof.

Still, they have been the best gloves I've had for warmth to flexibility ratio.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop....733-001

--------------
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, (2 Timothy 4:3)
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2012, 5:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Sep. 11 2012, 2:19 pm)
They also look pretty damn thin. Maybe fine for when your moving but would suck for sitting around camp in 20 degree weather.

They are surprisingly warm. A lot warmer than the bulky insulated gloves I've used in the past.

I use a thin liner in them on real cold days, so perhaps that helps a bit.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2012, 6:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

is "surprisingly warm" the same as those "curiously strong" peppermints?
 Post Number: 16
scroat Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Soft shell gloves are hard not to like.  I have some by OR, but currently prefer some Marmot Driclimb gloves I scored.  I've never found any gloves to remain waterproof for long.
 Post Number: 17
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 5:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(scroat @ Oct. 07 2012, 12:58 pm)
Soft shell gloves are hard not to like.  I have some by OR, but currently prefer some Marmot Driclimb gloves I scored.  I've never found any gloves to remain waterproof for long.

Then you haven't used OR gloves...

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 5:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well I've had two pairs of OR's with fingers, not mitts, and they eventually leaked.  
Guess yours are special.
 Post Number: 19
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 7:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(scroat @ Oct. 07 2012, 2:51 pm)
Well I've had two pairs of OR's with fingers, not mitts, and they eventually leaked.  
Guess yours are special.

That, they are...

or maybe yours got damp from within or dripped in from the top.

Seam-taped, Gore-Tex and Cordura. My first pair wore out after ten years enough to get a small leak in one of the finger joints and they promptly replaced them.

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 7:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well I used mine ice climbing and nothing stays dry.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you want something really reliable,
Iron Clad Tundra
These gloves are often used for winter rescue.
One of my personal favorite gloves.
Not really aimed at backpackers, but you can't argue with the Kevlar and duraclad construction.
 Post Number: 22
mamamiapdx Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 1:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is what I am doing.

1. Base Layer: Still undecided.
2. OR gripper glove
3. REI Taped mitts. They are waterproof and on sale at REI outlet.

I think I might go with Mountain Hardwear power stretch base glove.
 Post Number: 23
mamamiapdx Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 10:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mamamiapdx @ Oct. 08 2012, 1:14 am)
Here is what I am doing.

1. Base Layer: Still undecided.
2. OR gripper glove
3. REI Taped mitts. They are waterproof and on sale at REI outlet.

I think I might go with Mountain Hardwear power stretch base glove.

I got my REI taped mittens, they are light weight and well made and moreover I paid half the price with REI warranty. I also decided to get Mountain Hardware power stretch glove liner along with my OR gripper gloves. Both are on sale at sunnysports for pretty decent price of $53 combined (gripper glove alone is $50 at REI)
 Post Number: 24
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I suppose there are better gloves out there, but for the money, I think REI's "Switchback gloves" can't be beat.  A two layer system, which I think is essential for winter glove versitility, it has a fairly, but not completely, waterproof shell with a fleece liner glove.  At about $44.00, it's tough to beart.  I use mine for cross country and downhill sking and just about any winter activity and couldn't be more pleased.  I've had TNF, MH, Helly-Hanson and other gloves, but wans't nearly as happy with them and they all cost more.  And remember, you have REI's ironclad return policy in case they don't meet your needs.

Just my two cents worth. (actually about $44.00 worht, I guess).

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 25
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

REI Taped Mitts are now sold out...bummer.

Anyone ever used the Black Diamond Mercury Mitt?  Descriptions seem to suggest that the removable liner is waterproof (which is nice), but it's not clear how waterproof the shells are.  I'd like to have the option to sport the shells with a lighter liner glove when conditions are wet and cold, but not bitterly cold.

Second, has anyone tried the brand Swany?  REI had a pair of Swany X-change mitts, they were incredibly comfy, maintained almost perfect dexterity (well for wearing a mitten anyway).  Problem was it didn't seem like the liner was removable - a deal breaker, but I was still curious if anyone has tried them.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 26
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 6:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Oct. 23 2012, 6:09 pm)
Anyone ever used the Black Diamond Mercury Mitt?  Descriptions seem to suggest that the removable liner is waterproof (which is nice), but it's not clear how waterproof the shells are.  I'd like to have the option to sport the shells with a lighter liner glove when conditions are wet and cold, but not bitterly cold.

I do, but I can't answer with much confidence, since I only wear them in serious cold (below 10F).  That said, I don't trust the shell as water barrier and would find it too cumbersome in warmer weather, when I could be wearing a thinner shell that gave better dexterity.

It's a nice cold-weather mitt, though.
 Post Number: 27
jmarklane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 6:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Oct. 07 2012, 5:40 pm)

Why do you find it necessary to make snarky comments like that?  Obviously you have a beef with this guy (who cares?)  But he just said he had OR gloves but preferred something else, and your only response is to basically call him a liar.  

I don't care if you're Andrew Skurka, or have climbed Everest 15 times... if you can't be polite you should consider remaining silent.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 6:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BTW, to add some small thing to the discussion, I ride motorcycles and have a large collection of motorcycle gloves.  Due to the need for dexterity, they make some of them pretty thin and tight.  Although many are made with leather, not all are, and even the leather ones may be fine for some applications.  

Just a thought.
 Post Number: 29
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jmarklane @ Oct. 23 2012, 3:28 pm)

Why do you find it necessary to make snarky comments like that?  Obviously you have a beef with this guy (who cares?)  But he just said he had OR gloves but preferred something else, and your only response is to basically call him a liar.  

I don't care if you're Andrew Skurka, or have climbed Everest 15 times... if you can't be polite you should consider remaining silent.

I am stating my opinion based upon my experience with gloves that I've used for many years and OR products in general. Outdoor Research is known for their bombproof construction. If you don't agree, that's fine. I guess my confidence and experience in OR comes across snarky to you. Sorry about that.  There was nothing underlying in my statement meant.

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Oct. 23 2012, 7:24 pm)

(jmarklane @ Oct. 23 2012, 3:28 pm)

I am stating my opinion based upon my experience with gloves that I've used for many years and OR products in general. Outdoor Research is known for their bombproof construction. If you don't agree, that's fine. I guess my confidence and experience in OR comes across snarky to you. Sorry about that.  There was nothing underlying in my statement meant.

Your opinion is that he has never had OR gloves?  

Right.
33 replies since Aug. 28 2012, 9:07 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Winter Hiking Gloves? Waterproof?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions