2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Waistpack inner waterproofing crumbling< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MarzExplorer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2012, 1:54 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have an L.L. Bean waistpack that is at least 20 years old. It is not worn in any spots. I really like it. But, the inner waterproofing is crumbling and the bits get all over anything I put in the pack.

Does anyone know if something will dissolve this? I really don't care if the pack has the waterproofing. I was going to try Goo Gone.

I tried using a medium synthetic steel wool product that I just happened to have at home to scrape it all off. It was able to remove the sprayed-on lining without damaging the fabric. But, it is difficult to get all of it.

I was hoping someone had encountered this lining on some other product and had a way to deal with it. I don't want to throw the pack out.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2012, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've  favorite Chouinard (pre-Patagonia) Crag Dubh climbing/daypack that did that. I just rode it out.

Maybe just turn it inside out and take a stiff brush (or a rotary brush driven by a hand drill) to it to accelerate getting it all off? One of those softer 3M pads or such, I'd stay away from wire.

Chemicals I'd be concerned would attack the fabric while attacking the coating's adhesion.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2012, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks. I'll try a stiff brush.

I think I also need to open the pack up inside-out and stuff it with something to make the fabric tight.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was able to successfully clean out my pack.

I used a medium weight sanding sponge from Home Depot. The sanding sponge was flexible and didn't damage the pack. I did more rubbing instead of pressing down really hard.

I also found a nice small wire brush at Home Depot. It was very useful in the tight corners.

I turned the pack inside-out and used a rolled up towel to keep the pack's fabric taut. It took a little bit of time; but, it was worth it. Better than tossing the pack and buying a new one.
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 2:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Sanding sponge"

Good tip!
 Post Number: 6
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 8:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can always reseal the inside of it with the same stuff they use to recoat tent floors.  I forget what it's called. I'll have to look in the BP Gear Maintenance book.

Using the green scrungy pad and a small stiff wire brush was talked about in the book also.
 Post Number: 7
Crockett Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Feb. 15 2013, 8:20 pm)
You can always reseal the inside of it with the same stuff they use to recoat tent floors.  I forget what it's called. I'll have to look in the BP Gear Maintenance book.

Using the green scrungy pad and a small stiff wire brush was talked about in the book also.

Seam-sealer?
 Post Number: 8
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 9:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

soak it in fabric  softener and water. .  That removes the pu coating.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 9
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

repair with
http://www.mcnett.com/Tent-Sure-Tent-Floor-Sealant-P169.aspx
8 replies since Sep. 16 2012, 1:54 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Waistpack inner waterproofing crumbling
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions