2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Stretch The Leather?, Sore ankle bones.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RidgeHiker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2012, 10:13 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a pair of LL Bean leather Cresta Gortex boots. They are fairly new and from the beginning caused inner ankle bone pain.
Can I stretch the leather from the inside out to relieve the pressure?
Would I need to oil the leather to soften it?
Would I need some kind of boot press?
It is difficult to find boots that fit my long, narrow, low volume feet and I would like to make these work.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2012, 10:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oil them will help a bit. Wet and wear em wet till they form correctly. However, the best option is to take them back and get a pair that fits.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 6:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you talking about the end of your tibia? You may be able to have somebody press that spot to make some clearance.

I have had luck in the past having REI press/stretch a Montrail hiking shoe that just the left shoe had a tight spot at the front, but never tried manipulating the ankle area.

Tigger's suggestion may help too, but I think you may need to compress the inside padding too.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 4
jmarklane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 8:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never tried to stretch hiking boots, but I have stretched cowboy boots (which I wear a lot).  The usual procedure involves spraying the area (leather) with an alcohol formula (google "shoe stretch spray") then using a boot stretcher (ditto).  In a pinch, you could just use some rubbing alcohol (test first for discoloration effect) and wear the thing immediately.  Less effective but might work.  Boot stretchers, left in the shoe and pressing on the appropriate area(s) for a couple of weeks, are pretty effective.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2012, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Sep. 20 2012, 6:22 am)
Are you talking about the end of your tibia? You may be able to have somebody press that spot to make some clearance.

Yes. If I have it right, the anatomical name is the medial malleolus.
Those medial malleolus are very helpful but can be a pain at times. :laugh:
 Post Number: 6
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2012, 8:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stretching may not be the solution.

I made the mistake 20+ years ago of buying a pair of boots and didn't break them in well before going to Europe for some fun wandering. On one foot only there was a bit of a spot right on the medial malleolus, I guessed it would soften up with a little legwork. I guessed wrong -- turned to real sharp pain, ankle black and blue at the end of the day, and on a tight schedule that didn't let me shop for anything else.

When I got stateside tried to stretch and soften, did nothing. Eventually I determined that the corner of the tongue had some stitching that was causing the problem (same stitching on the other shoe did not cause a problem). The solution was a knife, I cut the top inner corner of the tongue off and the boots felt great thereafter.

So yeah, diagnose the problem first, that will guide potential solutions.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 7
solonomad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2012, 11:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

RidgeHiker,

I had exactly the same problem with a new pair of Bean Cresta Hikers two years ago. While I was breaking in the boots, I relieved the problem by smearing vaseline on my ankle and putting a small piece of soft cloth inside my sock over the ankle area. After several outings, the problem disappeared as the leather softened and flexed. The break in period was a little longer than I would have liked but the discomfort was worth it as the Crestas are a great pair of boots.

--------------
"When you travel; if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion...you might as well stay home"
                                      James A. Michener
 Post Number: 8
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2012, 11:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Isn't there a new ".. seen on TV.." system for spreading out shoes?  Think it has a couple padded screws that physically push the leather along with a chemical treatment.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 9
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2012, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i would avoid any 'do it yourself' remedy.  they all suffer from a basic flaw, that the person doing the fix has no idea what they are doing 95% of the time.

Here is what LL Bean's website says about these issues.  Reasonably sound:

Breaking in Your New Boots

Once you purchase a pair of boots, break them in slowly with short hikes. Leather boots in particular take a while to break in, so take a couple of two- or three-hour hikes before your big trip or wear them around the house or even while mowing your lawn. If you find any sharp pressure points, use leather conditioner to soften the leather.

Care and Maintenance

1.Cleaning and waterproofing your boots from time to time is critical. Use waterproofing on leather, and be sure to concentrate on the seams, which can become porous over time. For boots with a Gore-Tex lining, use a silicon-based waterproofing treatment, not a wax-based treatment. Wax-based treatments keep the leather from "breathing."

2.On the trail, if a blister or hot spot develops, place padding such as moleskin or an adhesive bandage over the area. You can cut a "donut" in the moleskin to create a buffer around the blister.

3.Remember, hiking boots will never feel like bedroom slippers, but if you are consistently developing blisters and have uncomfortable pressure points, please call our Outdoor Hotline at 800-226-7552, any day between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m. EST. We want all your hiking miles to be enjoyable ones.

You could also try to get a shoemaker (yes, there are some) or store that sells hiking boots to give you a hand fitting the boots.  sometimes, you can add a few pieces of foam or felt (with a sticky backing so it stays anchored to the inner lining of your boot) that make all the difference in the world.  Sometimes, changing the type of sock you wear or breaking the boots in can solve a problem.  

i vote against oil for softening boots.  oil can mess with boot leather depending on how it was tanned.  Note in particular that LL Bean recommends silicone-based products as boot conditioners, not wax-based products.  i recommend Limmer Boot Grease.  Nikwax makes silicone-based products for boots too.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 5:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(solonomad @ Sep. 26 2012, 11:37 pm)
RidgeHiker,

I had exactly the same problem with a new pair of Bean Cresta Hikers two years ago. While I was breaking in the boots, I relieved the problem by smearing vaseline on my ankle and putting a small piece of soft cloth inside my sock over the ankle area. After several outings, the problem disappeared as the leather softened and flexed. The break in period was a little longer than I would have liked but the discomfort was worth it as the Crestas are a great pair of boots.

solonomad, I am not sure if I get the concept here. The vaseline is to prevent friction? The soft cloth is for padding or just to keep the vaseline off the sock?

Thanks
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any concern with the alcohol mixture damaging the leather?
10 replies since Sep. 19 2012, 10:13 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Stretch The Leather?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions