2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: ALPS Zephyr 2, Some questions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2012, 10:59 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking to replace a Kelty Grand Mesa 2. I also have a Kelty Trail Ridge 2 but I don't really have a lot of faith in Kelty in adverse conditions. That brought me to the Zephyr.

Can anyone tell me the actual (measured by you) length, width, and height of this tent?

I know there are some fans of this tent here. What do you like about it? Any drawbacks?

It looks like it has good headroom due to the shape at the top, but it's only 38" high. Does it feel low? Easy or hard to enter?

Anybody know a cheap and reliable source for it? I haven't heard of most of the retailers that come up in a google search and don't know which sources are trustworthy. Not interested in the Zenith sold by Sierra Trading Post (wrong color).

I set the REI Half Dome 2 up in the store today, almost bought it. One thing that stopped me was the fly design. It looked like it was sure to let rain in when you open the door. How does the Zephyr do in that respect?

Also some of the negative reviews of the Half Dome made good points, whereas the reviews for the Zephyr are pretty consistently good.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
EdD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 8:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Amazon - $121.99 with free shipping. Not a bad deal. I have no answers to your other questions.
 Post Number: 3
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 10:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It comes up fairly often on steepandcheap.com for something like $85-90.

I can't help you with actual dimensions. I do think that it is a little on the short side. I am 5-11 and my son is 6-0. We both feel like if we were much taller, this tent would be too short.

The amount of rain that gets in when you open the vestibule seems to be about what it is with any tent--it hasn;t been a problem for me.

I think it's a great tent for the money.
 Post Number: 4
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Sep. 20 2012, 10:46 am)

It was on earlier today but I don't remember the price.
 Post Number: 5
Autoeng Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pastywhite @ Sep. 20 2012, 11:07 am)

(cweston @ Sep. 20 2012, 10:46 am)

It was on earlier today but I don't remember the price.

It was the Zepher 3 for $99.

Here is a link to Steep and Cheap history

SACHistory
 Post Number: 6
SCKuhn Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have both the Zephyr 2 & 3..... I'd recommend the 3 for anyone, just because of the extra room for a little extra weight.
The 2 is sort of narrow at the foot - couldn't use my Large Neoair and another pad in it without overlap...
Both my Zephyrs have done Philmont twice - 10 days in north-east New Mexico handled by Boy Scouts.... so they are pretty durable! :;):
I bought 2 extra Zephyr 2's from Steep&Cheap in March - $86.99 each for our scout troop.
I still have an extra one if you are interested in it - let me know.
Regarding rain - cweston is right on... not a real issue as long as you unzip the door from the bottom up (saw some boys unzipping from the top down and then stepping over the door on the ground... ???  )
Regarding the dimensions I think the site is pretty close - I wasn't disappointed at all. I'd have to set them up to get you the actual numbers (won't happen until this weekend)
I really like this tent as an entry level tent - easy pitch, sturdy, handles the weather well, roomy enough.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 3:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SCKuhn @ Sep. 20 2012, 1:25 pm)
I bought 2 extra Zephyr 2's from Steep&Cheap in March - $86.99 each for our scout troop.

Thanks for your offer. Before I saw your post I ordered it for $100 at Backcountry thanks to a coupon posted by CenAZwalker.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 2:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just received the Zephyr 2 and set it up inside. So far so good. The materials seem solid. Interior room at the head is very good (actually 39") and I guess the foot doesn't matter (for one person).

Compared to the Kelty Grand Mesa 2 the weight and packed size are about the same, but the Zephyr has some advantages, namely 2 side entrances and 2 vestibules. The Zephyr is one of the easiest to enter 2P tents I've ever seen as the door is wide and tall (36").

The Zephyr cuts corners in a few places. There's just one tiny pocket. The loft is also tiny and on a slant so things fall out of it. The vent over the foot of the tent is perfectly functional but the one over the head needs to be staked---if staked not it looks like wind-driven rain could easily enter the vent.

One feature not mentioned in the specs is that there is a small window at the top of each door in the fly.

Overall I'm pleased, especially for the $100 I paid. It's better than expected and better than the Mt. Hardware Raven, at twice the price, that I returned due to the small size and poles bending in, requiring 10 stakes. The Zephyr requires just 4 stakes.

Thanks to the folks who recommended this tent!
 Post Number: 9
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the Zephyr 3 and like it, The only complaint is its weight. Other than that I like it and use it quite a bit.

Its good to see that it holds up to scouts at Philmont. That is why I got it and why I want to return to backpacking.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2012, 5:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SCKuhn @ Sep. 20 2012, 1:25 pm)
Have both the Zephyr 2 & 3..... I'd recommend the 3 for anyone, just because of the extra room for a little extra weight.

I'm tempted to buy the 3 in addition to the 2.

Question: Are the photos at the ALPS website of the 2 or the 3? I'm guessing that both photos are of the 3, because my actual Zephyr 2 is much lower at the foot than the online photo. In fact on my tent the last 12" of the foot is practically unuseable space because of the low angle on the rear pole. It's only a few inches high at the end.

If the 3 is shaped more like the photo, I would buy it.
 Post Number: 11
FlatLand Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2012, 11:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been very pleased with my Zephyr 2.  Have been thru 3 very strong thunderstorms with very high winds and it was really stable without any water blown in.  

At first I didn't appreciate the small sleeves.  However, that triangle at the top is what gives this tent super stability in storms.

I have the Zephyr 1 also but don't use it as much.  The 1 has a front entry, the 2 & 3 are big from the sides.

I agree this tent is not for tall people but that isn't an issue for me.

I really like mine and don't plan on changing at this time.

Here is the Zephyr 2, sans fly.
 Post Number: 12
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2012, 2:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got the Zenith 2 or whatever the STP one is called. It is a good tent for the price. Seems pretty sturdy to me but only been in a couple of rainstorms. Water does pool a little in the top between 'the triangle' but it has never leaked or caused any issue. Only complaint is the sleeves do make the setup a little longer, or the take down probably more so, with the poles always snagging inside em. But no biggie, and as said above they probably make the thing a little tougher. Well maybe weight is another complaint but for a $100 tent the weight is decent.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2012, 9:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FlatLand, that photo is very helpful, thanks. My tent does not look like that. On your tent it appears that the angle between the floor and the rear pole is about 60 degrees or so? It looks like all the space at the foot of your tent is useable. You would have room for your mattress, sleeping bag, and feet down there.

On my tent the angle is less than 45 degrees and the space down there is very constricted. Sorry, I don't know how to post photos here. There's only one way to set this tent up, so I can't see what the problem might be. I have the pole ends in the inner grommets on the corner tabs, for maximum pole tension.
 Post Number: 14
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 3:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a similar view, mine looks pretty much the same as Flatland... not sure why yours would be different.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 8:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the problem is just the angle of the photo. Mine must not be any different. Anyway, I'm happy with this tent.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

UPDATE: I used the Zephyr this week and was pretty happy with it. I noticed that the fly doesn't cover the foot of the tent very well. There was no rain so I can't report on that. The head felt very spacious.

I don't know of a better tent at this price and I think it should go to the top of the list for those looking for a cheap, solid tent. I have two other tents in this price range---the Kelty Grand Mesa 2 and Trail Ridge 2---and I think the Zephyr is better made.
15 replies since Sep. 19 2012, 10:59 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply ALPS Zephyr 2
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions