2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: REI 20% 10/5-10/14, what are you guys planning on getting?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
sdsviet Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2012, 6:27 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i have been waiting and hoping for another one of these to come out this year and it finally came. i really didn't think it was going to happen again this year. i have been eyeing the copper spur UL2 for awhile and i know its a little late in the season but i still want to pick one up and why not with 20% off and rei gurantee. another thing i was looking to pick up as well was the crimson red mini griptillian rei special. totally dont need it but just a want.  :D
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2012, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm a huge fan of REI. Can't wait!
I have no idea what to get...I don't really NEED anything...but I has wants!
Considering some new winter gear, maybe a sleeping bag or new puffy jacket.
Copper Spur is an awesome tent btw.
Copper Spur 2 review
 Post Number: 3
bmcox86 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2012, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rei sub kilo down bags on the outlet
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2012, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

2 Royal Robbins shirts.
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2012, 10:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Probably a new headlamp.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2012, 11:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe returning the stuff I bought there at retail in the last 30 days and re-buying it on the discount. Also looking for a new puffy jacket...

Did you get an e-mail about the upcoming sale? I'm on the mailing list and regularly get e-mails from them but didn't (yet) see anything about this sale.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 7
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2012, 11:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I didn't get a sale e-mail. Have they been sent out? What exactly is on sale?

I'm going to get an REI Camp Bed 3.5 if it's on sale. Last time I was at REI I took a good look at the Halfdome 2 and decided it was just about perfect for kayak camping except for one thing: the color. I don't really want to be that visible in the woods.
 Post Number: 8
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 12:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bmcox86 @ Sep. 29 2012, 10:45 pm)
Rei sub kilo down bags on the outlet

Note that you can't use the 20% member coupon in the Outlet or on sale items.  Sometimes they'll have a separate special in the Outlet around the same time though.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 1:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

what i got was actual snail mail. its a 5x8 card/brochure that says u can save 20% on one full item, and it also shows u can get 20% off on one eligible item on the outlet store and 50% off one shop service or gear rental. coupon code FALLMEM12. possible members only?
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 1:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

oh and thanks for the review link. its just gonna make me want it more!
 Post Number: 11
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 1:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

REI - it's where I buy all my heavy gear.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 12
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 2:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(skinewmexico @ Sep. 30 2012, 1:52 am)

Unfortunately there's an oversized grain of truth to that.  I think the combination of their enlarged target market and their return policy works against carrying much UL gear.  They wouldn't move enough of it, and too much would end up returned by people who weren't ready for it or otherwise didn't really know what to expect.

Even so, REI has some good stuff, and even some light stuff.  I'm very happy with the NeoAir Xlite I got there (that's what I used my last 20% coupon on).
 Post Number: 13
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 8:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTramper @ Sep. 29 2012, 10:56 pm)
I didn't get a sale e-mail. Have they been sent out? What exactly is on sale?

20% off any full price (non-sale) item, except:
bikes, hard shell boats, stand up paddleboards, any item with GPS technology, personal locator beacons, avalanche airbag packs, skis, ski boots or ski bindings, sonowboards, snowboard boots or snowboard bindings

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not sure I would say heavy gear. Just because it's not Ultra light, doesn't make it heavy.
I would say the ultra lighters are definitely the minority, and REI is smart to target the masses. Infact I don't personally know a single ultralighter personally.  
Some of the guys I hike with even carry extra gear, just so they have more to carry. It's a great workout.
 Post Number: 15
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 5:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sdsviet @ Sep. 29 2012, 10:27 pm)
what i got was actual snail mail. its a 5x8 card/brochure that says u can save 20% on one full item, and it also shows u can get 20% off on one eligible item on the outlet store and 50% off one shop service or gear rental. coupon code FALLMEM12. possible members only?

Yep. Postcard. Announcing a couple of sales. I took advantage of one for the shirts.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 6:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ Sep. 30 2012, 5:08 pm)

I'm not sure I would say heavy gear. Just because it's not Ultra light, doesn't make it heavy.
I would say the ultra lighters are definitely the minority, and REI is smart to target the masses. Infact I don't personally know a single ultralighter personally.
Some of the guys I hike with even carry extra gear, just so they have more to carry. It's a great workout.

I think REI tents are heavy. For example, the famous Halfdome 2, which has 157 4-star reviews, weighs 5 lbs 8 oz. There are quite a few good tents at that weight by other manufacturers, but my personal cut-off point for backpacking is 5 lbs, which I consider "borderline heavyweight."

Someone mentioned in another thread that the Alps Mountaineering Zephyr is heavy at a packed weight of 4 lbs 12 oz. For me that falls in a comfortable midrange. REI has 9 2P tents (REI brand). None of them can match the Zephyr in weight and price. (BUT: The Zephyr achieves its light weight in part by slicing off volume at the foot, while the Halfdome 2 is a nicely symmetrical tent, with good voume throughout.)

Now, why are REI tents heavy? I've been told it's because they're built for the rainy Pacific Northwest. I'd like to say the fabrics are heavy, but since REI doesn't publish its fabric weights, it's hard to say. (I've always wondered about that lack of info.)
 Post Number: 17
dmwinch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 9:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm thinking of snowshoes.

--------------
The sun is shining, it must be August.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 9:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree, I won't carry any more than 5 pounds myself. Some of their tents are a bit heavy, but they are built very very solid. Thick burly poles, and very tough fabrics.
I've owned a few of their tents, and I've always felt very secure in them in harsh weather, much more so than my current Big Agnes tents I've been using, which easily cost twice as more. While I trust the BA brand name, there are always sacrifices to cut weight. If I was to pick a brand for reliability, REI would be high on the list. But weight, I would go with BA.
The quarter dome is around 4lbs 12oz packed, which is better if you're wanting a lighter tent.
 Post Number: 19
CharlesTheHammer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 11:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The only thing I really need right now is a new pair of backpacking boots because I have a bad habit of wearing them on a few trips, then using them as work boots while working at my small home improvement contracting business. But then when it comes time to go backpacking again, those boots are somewhat worn and probably no longer waterproof, so I have to buy a new pair, which is where I'm at right now. But REI doesnt carry the boots I want.

I actually buy most of my gear from whoever has it on sale at the time. If I am buying a tent that is listed at $299, and I find it on sale at Campmor for $239, thats where I'm buying it. I ended up buying lots of stuff on sale at OMC(Oregon Mountain Community).

But I buy some of the last minute items like clothing at the local hiking/camping stores.

That Big Agnes Copper Spur tent looks nice, and its LIGHT for a 2p tent, but its also expensive and the review seems to say you really need to get the footprint with it, for an extra $50, bringing the total price to $400-$450. The only thing I'd worry about is the thin fabric necessary to get the weight down that much.

I had a hard time finding a decent double wall 2p tent under or at 5lbs, that was tough, but wasnt too short or narrow for 2p comfort. I shared a friend's tent when I wasnt using my 1p tent, then 2 years ago I bought a Marmot 2p tent at 5lbs(packed) that is roomy at 88" x 54" x 42". Its tough, well made, almost no condensation, hold up well to wind, etc.
 Post Number: 20
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CharlesTheHammer @ Sep. 30 2012, 11:41 pm)
The only thing I really need right now is a new pair of backpacking boots because I have a bad habit of wearing them on a few trips, then using them as work boots while working at my small home improvement contracting business.

That's an easy habit to get into.  I get to liking a pair of boots and I wear them a lot on travel or around town.  I go through boots faster that way, but I figure at least I'm wearing something I like.
 Post Number: 21
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Marmot tent:
http://www.rei.com/product/828151/marmot-limelight-4p-tent
 Post Number: 22
Mechrock Search for posts by this member.
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking to get a new pack, probably the Exos 46.

--------------
My Gear list: (I'm Rocco)
https://docs.google.com/spreads....ZGJTakE
Notice I have multiple tabs at the bottom.
 Post Number: 23
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 8:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My first thought was darn, darn and darn it.  Just ordered and spent some big bucks with REI this morning.  After reading this thread I see it is for 20% off of one item.  I am feeling much better now.  I almost added the NeoAir Xlite to the order.  I thinks I will get it real soon after all. :D

--------------
It never hurts to do good Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How, that Marmot tent is kicking 8 pounds according to the site. Ouch.
I highly recommend the L.L.Bean Microlight if you want something light, but durable, and cheap!
Around 4 pounds packed, 199, and it's made of pretty tough materials. Hard to beat.
Not the roomiest, but it's a great tent.
Review
 Post Number: 25
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 8:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dmwinch @ Sep. 30 2012, 6:31 pm)
I'm thinking of snowshoes.

You'll definitely need the discount as you'll be paying full price considering you're in the season. In spring, you'll pay around $125 for MSR EVOs.

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 9:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Folks who recently bought something at REI, do you know that REI will refund you the difference if you paid full price for an item within 30 days of a sale? Does not apply to the outlet.
 Post Number: 27
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTramper @ Oct. 01 2012, 9:35 pm)
Folks who recently bought something at REI, do you know that REI will refund you the difference if you paid full price for an item within 30 days of a sale? Does not apply to the outlet.

I don't know what the official REI policy is but I have asked for and gotten price adjustments at my local REI, both for the 20% coupon and items that subsequently went on sale.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 28
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 11:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Oct. 02 2012, 6:54 am)

(TrailTramper @ Oct. 01 2012, 9:35 pm)

I don't know what the official REI policy is but I have asked for and gotten price adjustments at my local REI, both for the 20% coupon and items that subsequently went on sale.

+1

I've never been turned down for a price match on any item.

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 3:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Oct. 02 2012, 11:13 am)
I've never been turned down for a price match on any item.

You don't mean price match with another retailer, do you? REI doesn't do price matching.
 Post Number: 30
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have bought a lot of stuff on the web or at REI the last 2 years and that includes all the pricy stuff, tent, bag, pad, boots, pack, 2 pairs of skis, ski parka,  Gortex gloves, cooking utencil set.  So nothing left to bother with.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
72 replies since Sep. 29 2012, 6:27 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply REI 20% 10/5-10/14
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions