2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Rei sub kilo, Any thoughts< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
bmcox86 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2012, 11:17 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone have an rei sub kilo down bag? There on sale and was thinking of picking up one for the wife and I. Looks like 750 goose down? Is that a quality down?  These will be my first down bags.

Thanks in advance.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2012, 11:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i have a sub kilo plus 0 deg. bag that i have owend for four years and i am happy with it.
 Post Number: 3
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 12:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have one.  I think it's a good lightweight summer bag.  Great value at the current $159 price at the Outlet.  It's a narrow bag (59/55 girth measurements) so you'd want to be on the slim side.  Note that I said summer bag, because it's NOT a 20-deg bag.  This bag came out before REI started EN-rating their bag and, since then, they've only sold it in their outlet store.

For the same price, I think the REI Halo 25 is a better buy for a better all-around bag.  It's a few ounces heavier than the SubKilo but it's still sub-2lb and MUCH warmer.  It's accurately rated and it's also a more normal girth (59/55).

My (skinny 14 year-old) son has both.  He takes the SubKilo for summer hikes when I take my 40-deg bag.  He also uses it for indoor sleepovers and such.  He takes the Halo25 more often these days.  He says it's more comfortable.  He's had it down to the low 30's comfortably.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 4
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 9:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 on the circumference.  REI bags feel narrow at the shoulders to me.  i wear a 46 suit jacket & can't use their sleeping bags.  marmot bags usually have a few more inches of room in the shoulders and hips.  comparable bags would be the marmot sawtooth (600 fill) or pinnacle (800 fill).  the sawtooth weighs about 3 pounds.
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 11:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

750 fill is good quality. In general, I have found REI bags to be a bit over-confident in their temp rating. The Halo and Sub Kilo look to be about the same rating in reality with the Halo just having a bit more room based upon specs (girth and weight).

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 6:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My sub kilo bag says its a 15 degree bag. Not true. Its a 25 degree bag. I have had it for over 8 years. Its a solid 1-1/2 season bag. It is very well made. The newer REI bags are EN rated and are 800 fill.
The Sub Kilos are offered at a great price, just beware, the Men's 20 degree bag is a fantastic 30 degree bag; The Women's 15 degree is a great 25 degree bag. No way are they rated for late fall outings in the Sierra.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 7:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Sep. 30 2012, 11:09 am)
In general, I have found REI bags to be a bit over-confident in their temp rating. The Halo and Sub Kilo look to be about the same rating in reality with the Halo just having a bit more room based upon specs (girth and weight).

I disagree.  I think the Halo25 is accurately rated.  It's EN-rated at 23deg and has 17.2oz of 750 fill.  It's an excellent value for a good 3-season bag, imo.

The SubKilo has significantly less loft and is nowhere near it's "20-deg" (non-EN) rating.  I have a Feathered Friends 30deg bag and the SubKilo doesn't come close to that either.  It's much closer to my 40deg Sierra Designs Wicked Light, both in terms warmth and specs.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 8
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Sep. 30 2012, 4:52 pm)

(Tigger @ Sep. 30 2012, 11:09 am)
In general, I have found REI bags to be a bit over-confident in their temp rating. The Halo and Sub Kilo look to be about the same rating in reality with the Halo just having a bit more room based upon specs (girth and weight).

I disagree. áI think the Halo25 is accurately rated. áIt's EN-rated at 23deg and has 17.2oz of 750 fill. áIt's an excellent value for a good 3-season bag, imo.

The SubKilo has significantly less loft and is nowhere near it's "20-deg" (non-EN) rating. áI have a Feathered Friends 30deg bag and the SubKilo doesn't come close to that either. áIt's much closer to my 40deg Sierra Designs Wicked Light, both in terms warmth and specs.

It doesn't sound like we disagree much at all. I suspect the Sub-Kilo would be obviously closer to the temp rating of the Halo based upon it's weight/fill although the Sub Kilo claims a lower temp rating. To throw it all the way into the 40 degree spec range doesn't make much sense considering it's specs based upon material weight and size does it?
750 fill as well, and around the same weight as the Halo and off by just by a few ounces but a difference in girth.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 10:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Sep. 30 2012, 9:46 pm)
It doesn't sound like we disagree much at all. I suspect the Sub-Kilo would be obviously closer to the temp rating of the Halo based upon it's weight/fill although the Sub Kilo claims a lower temp rating. To throw it all the way into the 40 degree spec range doesn't make much sense considering it's specs based upon material weight and size does it?
750 fill as well, and around the same weight as the Halo and off by just by a few ounces but a difference in girth.

OK... I'll give you 35deg but not a degree more.  :p

Let's put it this way.  My Feathered Friends 30deg bag is 800+ fill count and sized super-short (5'3" woman) and has 13oz of down.

The SubKilo uses 750 fill-ct for a regular (6') length and also has 13oz of down.

My Wicked Light uses 800 fill-ct for a short (5'6") length, no hood and uses 9oz of down.  (When I bought it, they called it a 40deg bag but I think they've since downgraded it to a 45deg bag.)

--------------
 Post Number: 10
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 9:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Marmot helium has 19.5 oz of 850+ and is EN rated at 17░F. It's definitely wider than the sub-kilo, but even still, that sub-kilo is over generously over-rated for sure.
 Post Number: 11
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 11:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(paula53 @ Sep. 30 2012, 6:22 pm)
the Men's 20 degree bag is a fantastic 30 degree bag

That's my experience. I've been using mine for 3 years and it's a great 30 degree bag. Very light and packs very small. But bring toe warmers for really cold nights.
 Post Number: 12
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 5:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Second Son uses a Sub Kilo 20 deg.bag, and has been comfy on some nights into the teens, when I've shivered in my MH 32 deg. bag.  But he seems to sleep warm--the bag definitely has less loft and less down than our other 20-deg. bags.  Also, I am a bit unhappy with the bag's tendency to shed down.  This summer (maybe three or four seasons in?) I had to stitch up a seam that opened on our trip.  This is a bag that sees less than three dozen nights a year (probably closer to two dozen).

So. . . The price is right, but the bag is not as warm as advertised, and quality is not equal to more expensive bags.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 13
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 1:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, my REI down bags leak a lot too.
12 replies since Sep. 29 2012, 11:17 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Rei sub kilo
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions