2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Changing packs, what one is best for me?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Mechrock Search for posts by this member.
Mechrock

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 9:49 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have Baltoro 75 right now, but it's way too big. (Over estimated what  I would need.)

Looking at getting one of these:

Hornet 46

Exos 46

Exos 58

My dilemma is...

I want the Hornet 46 as it's the lightest, but still not sure if it will be big enough for my gear.

My winter sleeping bag will fit in the Exos 46 so I'm assuming the same with the Hornet 46. My problem is, how will I attack my tent to the outside of the pack? (Copper Spur 2)

Or is there another pack you would recommend?

--------------
My Gear list: (I'm Rocco)
https://docs.google.com/spreads....ZGJTakE
Notice I have multiple tabs at the bottom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 8:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think your first issue should be how does each one fit and feel. If you find the one that fits the best then figure out how it will accommodate your gear.

You could strap the tent to the outside of the pack on either side I suspect.

What winter sleeping bag are you using?

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Oct. 01 2012, 8:25 am)
I think your first issue should be how does each one fit and feel. If you find the one that fits the best then figure out how it will accommodate your gear.

You could strap the tent to the outside of the pack on either side I suspect.

What winter sleeping bag are you using?

Big Agnes Grouse Mountain +15

I'm sure the suspension will work in the hornet, but trying to figure out if my tent would be too bulky on the outside.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
DustinTN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 10:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I feel certain I don't have near the experience as yourself, so my anecdotes might not be terribly helpful.  With that caveat, I recently purchased a Talon 44 and used it with a bigger, bulkier REI Passage 2 tent. In my case, I folded the tent and fly (not using any stuff sack) and placed them on top of my sleeping bag, which was at the bottom of the pack. I placed the polls and stakes in one of the side pockets.  Worked great for me.  Love my Talon thus far.

--------------
TowardSimple.com - Doing More With Less, Outdoors.
 Post Number: 5
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Get a ULA Catalyst. Should fit inside. If not, make a long roll and stand it vertically in a side pocket.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 6
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Over the years, I've learned to carry my tent on the outside in a variety of positions. On top under the lid or vertically on the side with my bladder opposite are my two most common places which give me the best balanced load and ease of access at the end of the trail. If you are on the road down the path to lighten your load and slim it, your gear will only get smaller at this point so I'd go with the smallest pack that still does the job. I use "lock down" straps to lash my gear or biners depending on the equipment so it can't loosen as I hike. Being off-trail, I need  to ensure my gear isn't going to come loose as I jump down off obstacles or as things get scraped off going under logs or fighting through brush.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 7
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 11:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DustinTN @ Oct. 01 2012, 10:31 am)
I feel certain I don't have near the experience as yourself, so my anecdotes might not be terribly helpful.  With that caveat, I recently purchased a Talon 44 and used it with a bigger, bulkier REI Passage 2 tent. In my case, I folded the tent and fly (not using any stuff sack) and placed them on top of my sleeping bag, which was at the bottom of the pack. I placed the polls and stakes in one of the side pockets.  Worked great for me.  Love my Talon thus far.

I'm sure I don't have anymore experience than you either. haha
I just happen to be starting out with more expensive gear than most. (Didn't pay full price though. Only way I could afford it.)

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 4:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Okay, here was what I'm thinking now.

REI is about to have a 20% off sale. Get the Exos 46 which I think will work. (If not, they have the 100% guarantee.)

In the winter time, I bet I could do a 3 day trip with my current gear and 5-7 day in summer. I doubt I'd do over a 3 day (for now), but who knows.
Instead of getting the hornet 46 and trying to find weird ways to attack my tent and possibly worrying about the frame and such, get the Exos 46 that has straps on the bottom that can attach the tent and other nice features at 12oz more. With that, I should focus on other gear.

What are your opinions?

--------------
 Post Number: 9
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 5:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I HATE putting my tent on the bottom. I find my legs constantly bang against it as I walk and it shortens my stride (Take THAT to the OCC). The only time I strap it to the bottom is when it sits on my sled.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 10
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Oct. 01 2012, 5:12 pm)
I HATE putting my tent on the bottom. I find my legs constantly bang against it as I walk and it shortens my stride (Take THAT to the OCC). The only time I strap it to the bottom is when it sits on my sled.

Never seemed to be a problem for me on my Baltoro 75. Only came loose once. Hopefully won't be a problem on the Exos 46.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 5:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Try before you buy, for me, the Exos 46 was the most painful thing I've ever tried to carry. YMMV. Identical load was great in a Mariposa Plus and a Golite Jam2. Sold it to finance my ULA Circuit.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 12
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 10:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm convinced skinewmexico is a spokesman for ULA :)

With that said I couldn't be more happy with the Catalyst he talked me into looking at.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You should get a Circuit; that Catalyst is a little big! I'm actually really fond of my Gossamer Gear bags too, it just seems that people on this forum want something more bomber. Gotta trick people into lightening up and buying American somehow.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
bigredd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm looking at the new model Gregory Savant 58 for a light weight pack.  Tried it on at Gander Mountain and it's really comfortable and nice.  On sale at e-omc.com or better yet at REI with 20% coupon next week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ-L78KAgCg
 Post Number: 15
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(skinewmexico @ Oct. 02 2012, 11:55 am)
You should get a Circuit; that Catalyst is a little big! I'm actually really fond of my Gossamer Gear bags too, it just seems that people on this forum want something more bomber. Gotta trick people into lightening up and buying American somehow.

I consider my Circuit pretty damned bomber!  I don't know where ULA found that heavy duty mesh, but you can't kill it.  That spandex stuff used on so many imported packs?  A little rough bushwacking tears that crap up.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 16
jmarklane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So what will you take for the Baltoro 75?
 Post Number: 17
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 11:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jmarklane @ Oct. 02 2012, 7:55 pm)

I was hoping to get $200 out of it.
Looks brand new, used less than 10 times since I got it last year.
It's a small by the way.

--------------
 Post Number: 18
jmarklane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Mechrock @ Oct. 03 2012, 11:51 am)

(jmarklane @ Oct. 02 2012, 7:55 pm)

I was hoping to get $200 out of it.
Looks brand new, used less than 10 times since I got it last year.
It's a small by the way.

Thanks, but I can't use a small.  Good luck with it.

Mark
 Post Number: 19
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 8:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Mechrock @ Sep. 30 2012, 8:49 pm)
My winter sleeping bag will fit in the Exos 46 so I'm assuming the same with the Hornet 46. My problem is, how will I attack my tent to the outside of the pack? (Copper Spur 2)

Don't assume that. The Hornet is under-size for the stated volume. Here is a picture of both the Hornet and Exos 46.

I used the ice-axe loops to rig up a way to carry my poles wrapped in my GG Thinlight pad.

One thing to keep in mind about any of these packs for winter use is the fact that the open backpanel is very cold and will collect wind-blown snow.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 20
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 9:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I'm probably going with the Exos 46. I figure I'm losing ~3.5lbs from my old pack already and the exos does have some convenient features.

I'll look into a even lighter one when the time comes. Thanks for the help!
I'll tell you how it works when I get it.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You better hope that Osprey works with your back.

All the Osprey packs with that rectangular frame/open mesh suspension kill my back within hours of putting it on.

I got a ULA Circuit this year, have a Granite Gear for the load hauling, and those packs work for me without my feeling like I have a 3,000,000 lb steel block instead of the 23 lbs of gear I actually have... packs need to fit but also to work with your back.

I like Osprey packs fine. They just hate me....

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 22
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Oct. 04 2012, 9:49 am)
You better hope that Osprey works with your back.

Yeah, I really hope it works. I'm going to get it from REI so if it doesn't, I can easily return it.

I only had time to try on a large 46. (The only Exos they had in stock.)
Seemed to work fine, but I didn't have time to load it with weight. We all know that can make a big difference, but since I should usually carry less than 20lbs in the pack, it should be fine I hope.

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 6:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Oct. 04 2012, 8:49 am)
I like Osprey packs fine. They just hate me....

+1. Well, their day packs work OK.

--------------
 Post Number: 24
theosus Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 8:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I LOVE my deuter aircontact 75. It's just too damn big and heavy. I bought it when it was on sale. The wife said, "Hey that one costs the same as the 65, why not get it, it's like getting ten liters for FREE!"
Some of my stuff is bulky, but not really heavy. My sleeping bag is synthetic, and while it weighs what comparable rated down bags do, its the size of a damn basketball. My underquilt is the same way, about the size of a bigger thermarest when packed, but still pretty light. I'm looking at my options too. The deuters feel so good, I might move down to an ACT Lite 60L, for a 3 pound savings, but I really dont think I could go smaller without having to strap things all over it. I like it all in the pack where I'm not so worried about weather.

--------------
The flamethrower is proof positive that sometime, somewhere, someone once said, "You, know, I'd really like to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
My Blog
23 replies since Sep. 30 2012, 9:49 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Changing packs
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions