2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: ,Thinking About a New Pack., Must carry huge loads. weigh nothing..< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 8:04 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm pretty happy with my current pack, a Deuter Aircontact 55 + 10, so I don't HAVE to get a new pack, and I have plenty of time to look around.  It's well designed and constructed and can carry big loads. The reasons I'm considering a new pack?  The Deuter is on the heavy side - 6#, but it easily carries 45# comfortably and could carry more.  The hip belt will slip on me at times.

I need a pack around 65L for up to 9 days on the trail.  The 55+10 was packed full on my 7 day Winds trip and I could squeeze 9 days out of it with the + 10.   I want to shed a couple pounds so the new pack should come in at or under 4lbs.  It  needs to comfortably carry 50#.  I won't carry 50 but I don't want to push the packs limits.

Any suggestions for a pack that fits these parameters?  I'm in SW Florida so I can't just pop into REI to try on packs.  We have Sports Authority, Bass Pro, and Dicks.. No decent backpacking gear at all..  Let me know what you'd recommend..

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 8:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hate (not really) to say it but...

McHalepacks.com

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 11:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The ULA Catalysts would be close, however, the listed max load is 40 lbs. Although, some say it does good with more weight. Here is a review in which the reviewer states:

When I have packed it carefully the Catalyst does a very good job of weight distribution.  The forty-pound (18 kg) rating is if anything conservative, as I've packed with as much as 50 lb (23 kg) on a ten-mile (16 km) hike with no particular problems.

Here is a link:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews....%20Lyon

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
 Post Number: 4
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Oct. 01 2012, 8:06 pm)
I hate (not really) to say it but...

McHalepacks.com

plus one. Look at the LBP maybe in a 37 or 38. Full Dyneema.

I have the 37. It will fit a bear canister (bearikade weekender) in it plus my sleep system, Rainbow tent, and all the other stuff I have to carry. I have the kangaroo pouch on the outside for rain gear and other odd ball stuff like water filter and various items.

The belt pouches offer a nice amount of space. One for a camera and I use the other for my trail snakes.

My three liter bladder sits on top but inside the pack

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 5
obchristo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Oct. 02 2012, 8:35 am)
The belt pouches offer a nice amount of space. One for a camera and I use the other for my trail snakes.

How many trail snakes do you carry? Pythons, Pit Vipers or a combination?

--------------
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Knowledge is the one thing you can aways carry more of- and not increase pack weight!!!!
 Post Number: 6
Tuffy2toes Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarpon6 @ Oct. 01 2012, 8:04 pm)
I'm pretty happy with my current pack, a Deuter Aircontact 55 + 10, so I don't HAVE to get a new pack, and I have plenty of time to look around.  It's well designed and constructed and can carry big loads. The reasons I'm considering a new pack?  The Deuter is on the heavy side - 6#, but it easily carries 45# comfortably and could carry more.  The hip belt will slip on me at times.

I need a pack around 65L for up to 9 days on the trail.  The 55+10 was packed full on my 7 day Winds trip and I could squeeze 9 days out of it with the + 10.   I want to shed a couple pounds so the new pack should come in at or under 4lbs.  It  needs to comfortably carry 50#.  I won't carry 50 but I don't want to push the packs limits.

Any suggestions for a pack that fits these parameters?  I'm in SW Florida so I can't just pop into REI to try on packs.  We have Sports Authority, Bass Pro, and Dicks.. No decent backpacking gear at all..  Let me know what you'd recommend..

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Packs#Over_60L

I bought the Altra 65 last April. Simply the best packs available.
 Post Number: 7
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(obchristo @ Oct. 02 2012, 11:42 am)

(eggs @ Oct. 02 2012, 8:35 am)

How many trail snakes do you carry? Pythons, Pit Vipers or a combination?

Just the one snake which is not in my pack pouches  :cool:

Guess that should have been snacks  :;):

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 8
vigilguy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 2:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

70 lbs in this McHale demo from Dan.
 Post Number: 10
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 10:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vigilguy @ Oct. 02 2012, 12:17 pm)

70 lbs in this McHale demo from Dan.

That just might have made me a convert ! Dana/Dan...Dana/Dan

Tarpon, you're not going to find a lighter pack than the one you're carrying now, that can carry a heaver load for a longer trip comfortably. Your just going to have to get a heavier pack.

It is addicting , isn't it ? The need to stay out longer and longer. You're walking a slippery slope now.

I rarely make the short 4-6 hr drive to the Wind's, when I can't stay out for 14-17 days.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 10:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wish Astralplanes were still made, seriously.  A work of art.  Their suspension was the best on the market, in the realm of production packs. Or a Terraplane.  I always salivate whenever I see used ones for sale.
 Post Number: 12
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 9:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes SWT it's pretty bad..  I find myself daydreaming about getting back out west.  Had a dream two nights ago that I'd just cleared Photographers Point and was picking up steam heading towards Pole Creek.  Was pretty disappointed when I woke up.

The McHale packs look great, but hard to spend that much on a pack when I have to fly out West, and I get one longger trip a year at most..

I found this Lowe Alpine Pack- the TFX Kongur.  Couldn't find any reviews on it.  Reminds me a little of my Deuter pack, but 2# lighter.

--------------
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 13
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 4:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vigilguy @ Oct. 02 2012, 10:53 pm)
Wish Astralplanes were still made, seriously.  A work of art.  Their suspension was the best on the market, in the realm of production packs. Or a Terraplane.  I always salivate whenever I see used ones for sale.

They are on ebay every so often.
 Post Number: 14
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vigilguy @ Oct. 02 2012, 8:53 pm)

Mines not for sale, but here's a few photo's of it.

Trying it on for the first time at home after getting fitted at the shop, 1993.

Somewhere in the "Middle of Nowhere" off trail in the Winds, 1997.

Final morning of 14 days of rock climbing in the southern Winds. Trail Head weight was close to 100lbs with 40 lbs of just ropes, gear, shoes, helmet, etc......, weight that never goes away...... 2003.

Fully loaded in the morning, Day 2 of 28 days in the Beartooth's, 2007.

Lunch Break, Day 14 of 28 days in the Beartooth's. 2007

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 15
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 8:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The 1997 pic - I think the pack is larger than you!

--------------
     — Finis Mitchell
14 replies since Oct. 01 2012, 8:04 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply ,Thinking About a New Pack.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions