2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: ATTENTION, White Box stove users< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 4:48 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What pot do you use with your white box stove? I just ordered one today. I presently have a Snow Peak 450 titanium mug, a Snow Peak 600 ml titanium mug, and a Snow Peak Trek 900 set. I read on the whitebox stove site that the Snow Peak Trek 900 pot is good to use. It just is a bit large for my needs. I would love to be able to use the 600 ml mug with the Whitebox stove.  I know it is a bit narrow, do you think it will be ok to use though? Maybe not as efficient? I will deffinetly test it out, but untill I get the stove, I'd like to hear some opinions and see what you use.

I have the titanium DX alcohol stove, and I do love to use it...lightweight, compact, quiet, but I wanted to try the Whitbox stove, as I have mixed reviews on the DX and after using it a few times I wanted to try something else.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 5:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use the Snowpeak .9 liter non-stick pot.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wider is better for efficiency, especially with a side-burner stove.
 Post Number: 4
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 5:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A 5" or slightly larger pot will work , below 4" you will have flames shooting up the sides.
To reduce the flame spread I added about 10%/15% of water to mine (just a few drops)
That was using Ethanol , it may not work like that with other fuels.
 Post Number: 5
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Oct. 02 2012, 9:48 am)
I would love to be able to use the 600 ml mug with the Whitebox stove.  I know it is a bit narrow, do you think it will be ok to use though?

No, that one is too narrow.

If you get the Whitebox Solo stove with its tighter flame pattern, that will take smaller diameter pots like the Snow Peak 900 but the original bigger sized Whitebox needs a minimum diameter of 5" which is the Snow Peak 1400. All the flame will spill up the side of a Snow Peak 600, not a good choice for any of those stoves.

As big-load says, the wider the better when it comes to efficiency. I use the Snow Peak Cook n Save with a diameter of about 6.3" and the Evernew 1.3 liter pot with something like 5.5" if I recall. The Cook n Save blows water to a boil nice and fast.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 7:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, so I am going to go with the evernew 600 ml titanium pot. It is something like 4.88 x 2.5 inches. Holds 20.3 ounces. That should work well with the solo whitebox.  I found it for $38...not too bad.  Lightweight and compact.  Let's see how this compares to the evernew ti dx alcohol stove. I really don't think I will see much of a difference...maybe, maybe not.  It's going to be another stove in my stock pile. Weight wise not much of a difference either.  Ok, wow...hi my name is Joe and I have a problem...hehehe..

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 7
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 9:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I only boil water and we don't use our pot for anything else, so we have a 1L primus tea kettle.  Nice wide bottom and works great with the stove!  I just found out they make a larger kettle now, it's something I may have to look into now that the kidlet is eating more (and requires larger meals!).

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 8
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 10:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tea Kettle HAE - 1 qt
 Post Number: 9
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 9:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

GSI kettle, or the .9 liter Evernew wide pot.

Narrow pots are better for top burning,  not side burning, alcohol stoves.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 10
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 10:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Oct. 04 2012, 6:45 am)
GSI kettle, or the .9 liter Evernew wide pot.

Narrow pots are better for top burning,  not side burning, alcohol stoves.

I apologize. Mine is currently an Evernew .9 liter. I forgot that I had changed out my Snowpeak a few years back.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

cool. I should have the Whitebox stove and the Evernew 600ml pot by this Saturday. I cant wait to get them and test it out.  Thanks for your input everyone. I will report back and let you all know how it works out for me.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got the stove and the pot came yesterday. It looks promising. The pot holds a good 2 cups of water..a little more if I fill it to the brim, but 2 cups fills it perfect. It should be suffice for my needs. I will try it out this weekend and test 1 or 2 freezer bag meals also.  See how this set up works compared to my other one.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2012, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, so for anyone interested. I boiled 1 & 1/4 cups of cold water..it took about 2.5 minutes for a rolling boil. I used 1.5 ounces of SLX denaturated alcohol. I could have used 1/2 the amount of alcohol to boil that amount of water, now I know. Though I did this test indoors, I will also try it outside when I get a chance at home.  I have to say the Whitebox stove works very nice and I am sure the wider bottomed pot made a huge difference compared to my other alcohol stove, the titanium DX with the other 3 pots I was trying to use. Well, just though I would share my thoughts with those of you who care. I think I am going to love this new set up..the size, weight, and convienience. I am sold!!

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 14
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 3:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Oct. 15 2012, 7:00 am)
Ok, so for anyone interested. I boiled 1 & 1/4 cups of cold water..it took about 2.5 minutes for a rolling boil. I used 1.5 ounces of SLX denaturated alcohol. I could have used 1/2 the amount of alcohol to boil that amount of water, now I know. Though I did this test indoors, I will also try it outside when I get a chance at home.  I have to say the Whitebox stove works very nice and I am sure the wider bottomed pot made a huge difference compared to my other alcohol stove, the titanium DX with the other 3 pots I was trying to use. Well, just though I would share my thoughts with those of you who care. I think I am going to love this new set up..the size, weight, and convienience. I am sold!!

That is a sweet setup. I really like the Evernew ti pots. Like you say, you will become familiar with the amount of fuel you need for various volumes and conditions. The stove is reliable and pretty much  bombproof. That is a nice quick time you have going for a nice hot drink, cup of soup or dinner.
13 replies since Oct. 02 2012, 4:48 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply ATTENTION
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions