2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Looking for Solo Tent, Future purchase< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Mechrock Search for posts by this member.
Mechrock

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 8:49 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since I just bought a Exos 46, I don't want to spend money on another tent right now, but maybe I can get one as a gift. (Most likely I'll end up buying it...)

Anyway... My current tent is the Copper Spur 2. Got it pretty cheap last year before I knew much about backpacking. I thought I was going to be using it with a friend more than I did, but I guess not. I want to get a Solo tent to lighten up the load some.

I'm looking at theses two right now.

Shangri-La 1 Tent

Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout

Both less than $150 which is the goal. Closer to $100 would be more preferred. With one of theses tents, I think I can hit the magical 10lb base weight. At least that's what I'm hoping. I really enjoy hiking/backpacking, but as many ultralighters have found, it's much more enjoyable when you aren't killing yourself hauling all that extra weight.

What would you recommend? Any different tents that are around that weight and price?

--------------
My Gear list: (I'm Rocco)
https://docs.google.com/spreads....ZGJTakE
Notice I have multiple tabs at the bottom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 8:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At 13.5 ozs. (Plus some shepherds crook stakes) the MLD Solomid can be a contender:
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop...._id=137

I tend to prefer side entry even in a solo.

Performed very nice for the 17 days I was in Yosemite this past August (even though the second week had some especially violent and repetitive storms) paired with some GG LT4S poles at 9.4 ozs. the pair. With the dry weather (hah) suppressing the bugs I left off the innernet and just took a poly sheet at 2 ozs.
 Post Number: 3
theosus Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 9:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A friend of mine uses the TarpTent contrail. Looks very nice, really compact, and I have seen him use it in wet/rainy conditions without a problem. It uses one trekking pole to hold it up, and he can pitch it in a few minutes.

I use a hennessy hammock - and while I like it, you don't save any weight or bulk, by the time you add an underquilt or pad for cool weather.

--------------
The flamethrower is proof positive that sometime, somewhere, someone once said, "You, know, I'd really like to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
My Blog
 Post Number: 4
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 9:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess I should note that it needs to be screened in as well. To say the least, bugs really like me, but I don' t like them. Not so much a problem in the winter months, (December-March for here.) but any other time, they eat me alive.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 9:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the Scout is one of the best buys out there.

With the nest, the Shangri-La 1 is heavy for the amount of room it gives you.  It may not be obvious from the specs but the Tarptent Contrail, with a similar setup, has more usable space and weighs quite a bit less.

I own a Contrail and a Lightheart Solo.  I bought them both very lightly used, both under $125.  Both are sub-2lb *with* Ti stakes.  My intention was to try them both and keep only one but I ended up keeping both and would recommend either one.  

It's hard to beat the Lightheart Solo. (The Scout's design is similar.)  Lots of headroom and convenient side-entry.  Super easy to set-up and great ventilation.   If you're tall, you'll want the 'Solong' model.

The Contrail is an ounce or two lighter and is big enough for me and my 105lb dog.  Also, if you don't hike with poles, the Contrail only requires one tent pole.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 6
TWinAlbany Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 10:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I found this one at Campmor for a decent price and thought of getting it for my son. It is lightweight and they seem to have a good rep from what I could find.

[URL=http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product_27848[/URL]
 Post Number: 7
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Marmot Mesh Bivy
I think TWinAlbany meant this ^
Looks pretty sweet.
Also an option,
Eureka Solitaire
Which can often be found as low as 60 bucks.
Fiberglass poles though...unless you can find the Canadian variation which is aluminum for some reason.
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 12:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a Tarptent Contrail for solo hiking.  I've been coveting the Tarptent Notch for a couple years, since the side entry is tempting.  The SMD tents are pretty nice, too, although I'd scrape up the extra bucks for the Trekker if at all possible.  You don't get many opportunities to lose 10 more ounces.
 Post Number: 9
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 11:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

not to hijack your thread, but I was also in the hunt for a VERY lightweight solo set up. Right now I use a Mountain Hardwear Helion 2...which I love, but it weighs something like 3 lbs 10 ounces.

I was actualy eyeing the Six Moon Designs Serenity net paired with the SixMoon Designs Gatewood Cape.....combined weight of 18 ounces. I also like that you can use the serenity net alone..7 ounces to keep the bugs and crawlies away..and if it is going to rain you can cove it with the Gatewood cape. Or, you can use the Gatewood Cape as a tarp and skip the net. I like the options and that also the Gatewood Cape can be used as a rain poncho if you really wanted.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 10
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 1:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've taken into consideration what your guys have said, but I'm still leaning towards the Golite. Ideally I would go with the Tarptent Contrail, but at $100 more, plus having to seam seal it is not very appealing at the current time.

The SMD Scout is $141 after shipping before seam sealing it and the Golite is $131 shipped factory taped. I do like that the Golite has a more open vestibule and the front entrance I don't think will bother me since I'm small.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2012, 8:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think I've changed my mind. After thinking about it, I wouldn't really use my Copper Spur 2 much any more with a new tent. I figured if I sold it, then it would be fine to purchase a little more expensive tent.

The one that has interested me most is the Tarptent Contrail. Anyone know if they have a sale on them around the holidays or if anyone is trying to sell one?

--------------
 Post Number: 12
Freeflow Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2012, 10:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been really happy with my Lightheart Gear Solo, and it' stood up to some big thunderstorms on Mount Mitchell in NC and in Glacier National Park. I love all the mesh, the double wall design that helps minimize condensation, easy setup, side entry and the headroom

--------------
"Did you pack the Bourbon?"
 Post Number: 13
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2012, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love my Eureka Spitfire - I bought it for $67 and have used it for 8 years now. Love the side entrance and "elbow" room.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 14
Tuffy2toes Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2012, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Mechrock @ Oct. 06 2012, 8:49 pm)
Since I just bought a Exos 46, I don't want to spend money on another tent right now, but maybe I can get one as a gift. (Most likely I'll end up buying it...)

Anyway... My current tent is the Copper Spur 2. Got it pretty cheap last year before I knew much about backpacking. I thought I was going to be using it with a friend more than I did, but I guess not. I want to get a Solo tent to lighten up the load some.

I'm looking at theses two right now.

Shangri-La 1 Tent

Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout

Both less than $150 which is the goal. Closer to $100 would be more preferred. With one of theses tents, I think I can hit the magical 10lb base weight. At least that's what I'm hoping. I really enjoy hiking/backpacking, but as many ultralighters have found, it's much more enjoyable when you aren't killing yourself hauling all that extra weight.

What would you recommend? Any different tents that are around that weight and price?

DON'T buy the GoLite!

Flimsy, fragile, paper thin, major pain to stake out just right so the sides are taut. You have to carry around tarps to protect it from anything falling from trees (small branches) so it wont go through the fly.

Sent mine back after one horrible experience in the ADKs.

Ended up with the REI Quarter Dome 1 and have been very pleased. It may weight a couple of ounces more, but the fragility of the GoLites makes it a disaster just waiting to happen.
 Post Number: 15
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 9:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I order a Shangri-La 1 Tent and set it up in the back yard a few years ago. Not much room since the hiking poles are right down the middle. I sent it back.

I use a Tarptent Rainbow for solo. Love it.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 16
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 9:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the extra feed back!
I do plan to get a Contrail now, just not sure when. I would hope with in the next couple months. I think I'll most likely be selling my Copper Spur 2 and that will help finance it.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Keep an eye on this site for a deal to show up

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
16 replies since Oct. 06 2012, 8:49 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Looking for Solo Tent
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions