2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What's new?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
scroat Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 2:40 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anything revolutionary or exciting with gear?

... something other than thread count of socks.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Really?

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 3:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(scroat @ Oct. 07 2012, 2:40 pm)
Anything revolutionary or exciting with gear?

What's your frame of reference? In the last 30 days, this year, the past decade? Depending when you last were "up to date" the answers could vary widely...

Have you checked out Backpacker's 2012 "editors choice" winners? That's a good place to start unless you want to know what is truly brand-spankin' new.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 4
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 5:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sierra Designs is pushing the Mojo UFO tent, that's made of cubin fiber. It's really the only large leap I've found lately.
Dry down is a pretty popular topic lately. Sleeping bags and jackets that stay dry longer, and retain more loft.
There is that aerogel stuff that's trying to work its way into the market also as insulation.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmmm, dry down sounds interesting.
 Post Number: 6
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 9:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They have a giant show in Utah every six months that has lots of new stuff. But mostly higher thread counts in socks...

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 9:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I need a stiff drink
 Post Number: 8
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(scroat @ Oct. 07 2012, 9:58 pm)
I need a stiff drink

Wrong thread.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 10:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hate when that happens.
 Post Number: 10
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 10:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bought a new section for one of my trekking poles, which finally showed signs of cracking after more than a thousand miles.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 11
steved2 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why is the Mojo UFO tent a large leap?  It seems like a gimic to produce press.  Other manufacturers have made cuben fiber tents for years (Brooks Range, Hyperlite Mountain Gear, Zpacks).
 Post Number: 12
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(steved2 @ Oct. 09 2012, 2:14 pm)
Why is the Mojo UFO tent a large leap?  It seems like a gimic to produce press.  Other manufacturers have made cuben fiber tents for years (Brooks Range, Hyperlite Mountain Gear, Zpacks).

Large leap in price.   :laugh:
 Post Number: 13
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 8:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, it's under 2 pounds, and made of a high grade cubin fiber that is both lighter and stronger than any nylon I've ever come across.
Overpriced? Well, yes. But still pretty cool.
And it's a full fledged freestanding tent. Other designs I've saw haven't been as nice.
 Post Number: 14
FamilyGuy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 11:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ Oct. 09 2012, 8:15 pm)
Well, it's under 2 pounds, and made of a high grade cubin fiber that is both lighter and stronger than any nylon I've ever come across.
Overpriced? Well, yes. But still pretty cool.
And it's a full fledged freestanding tent. Other designs I've saw haven't been as nice.

Nope.  Not freestanding.  You still have to peg out the rear, sides, and vestibule.

FWIW, this tent is no larger or lighter than say, a BA Fly Creek Platinum which cost less than a third of the price.

The Mojo is actually a pretty poor design to begin with.

--------------
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."
 Post Number: 15
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I saw the UFO at the OR Show. They had it set up and used a blower under it to make it float up and down. It was pretty cool looking, like, whoa, anti-gravity.

The design is a cross between the SD Vapor Light (w/Spider Hub) and a BA Fly Creek. It is quite ridiculous to pay $1300.00  more than a Fly Creek Platinum just to save 2 ounces.

To its credit the UFO has a little more head-room and a much faster set-up with its all-in-one pitching design. (The inner hangs from the rain-fly like a Big Sky Revolution.)

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
14 replies since Oct. 07 2012, 2:40 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What's new?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions