2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Need backpack recommend....< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
walkinfool Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 1:18 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm gearing up over the off season and am looking at a High Sierra internal frame pack.  Any experiences/opinions on gear from them?  Other suggestions if money were no object?  Other suggestions if I was looking for more of a good value?  Thx.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Difficult to make recommendations without understanding what your needs are beyond "a backpack".   How much weight will you be carrying?  How much volume do you need?  Do you have a budget?

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can confidently state that if money is no object and you know exactly what you want, it's time to step up to a custom pack from Dan McHale. www.mchalepacks.com

Perfect fit, incredible craftsmanship, only the features you want, exact volume needs, and none of the features you don't want.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
bigredd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Try sierra trading post for Gregory Z65 at $139.  Unfortunately they exempt Gregory from their frequent 35% off discounts and free shipping.

I just bought an Osprey Atmos 65 at a local shop with a 20 off sale.  Was also considering the new Gregory Savant 58, but decided on the Osprey.  Could have save a few $$ buying a Gregory Z65 at STP, but the personal attention, measuring and trying on numerous packs was worth my business.  My torso size is 19 1/2" right between medium and large for most brands, so trying several on is invaluable.

Really like the comfort of the Osprey Air Suspension System, and the Great Lifetime Warranty sealed the deal.
 Post Number: 5
steved2 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If money is no object, take a look at Aarn Body Packs, Cold Cold World Packs, or Figure Four Packs (full disclosure: I have a financial stake in Figure Four and work there).  
-Aarn has a unique "pack" design that allows attachment of large counter-weight bags to the front of the backpack, placing the center of gravity over your hips, rather than behind.  The pack also suppose to maintain the pack's center of gravity over the hips even when moving side-to-side.  
-Cold Cold World has made bomber packs for the harshest conditions for many years and as I understand it can make tweaks and custom modifications to the pack.
-Figure Four follows a similar path of Cold Cold World, focusing on fit and freedom of movement, something that most packs restrict due to their frame designs.
 Post Number: 6
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would need more information to make a recommendation.  It's unclear how much weight you plan to carry.  by "off season" I assume you don't winter hike.

generally, whatever you choose has to fit  you comfortably and carry the gear you plan to bring with you.  i would figure out the volume of the backpack you already use and look for a similar size this time around, unless you are planning to either shrink your gear or take longer trips in the future.

Once you know the weight you plan to carry, that will help narrow the field somewhat.  a few comments on the suggestions above:

-cold cold world makes great backpacks.  I own and use one.  They are extremely well-manufactured and should last for a long time.  they are not "internal frame" backpacks in the true sense of the word, however, because the only "frame" they have is a folded piece of closed cell foam.  That is because they are alpine backpacks, designed and intended primarily for rock and ice climbers.  it would not be my choice for traditional backpacking because to effectively carry weight, you have to be very careful and focused about how you pack them - due to the lack of a rigid frame to transmit the load to your hips.

-when someone says McHale, these are truly backpacks for which money is no object.  McHale will cost several hundred dollars, minimum, and are custom-made to fit you.  they will last for years and are beloved by many.
 Post Number: 7
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 5:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If the OP has an off season that is winter then they are not ready for a McHale pack.

I'm a three season backpacker, fall, winter, and spring

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 8
scroat Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Oct. 09 2012, 5:49 pm)
If the OP has an off season that is winter then they are not ready for a McHale pack.

I'm a three season backpacker, fall, winter, and spring

Seems a bit pretentious of you to "decide" who is or isn't ready for a McHale pack.  You must be an authority on such matters?
 Post Number: 9
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 6:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I doubt anyone that is not ready for winter backpacking asking about a High Sierra backpack is ready to spend $1200+ on a pack.

That is all just trying to get the thread back into reality territory.

Though he did say if money was no object. So I could be wrong. Lets wait and see

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That brings me to another point.  Is it prudent for the average Joe to spend $1200 on a backpack?  Dunno.  Could buy a sweet MR for half that and have beer and cartridge money left over.  Hmm, you do the math.  Sorry Moose, but your stuff is pretty spectacularly priced.
 Post Number: 11
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(scroat @ Oct. 09 2012, 6:15 pm)
That brings me to another point.  Is it prudent for the average Joe to spend $1200 on a backpack?  Dunno.  Could buy a sweet MR for half that and have beer and cartridge money left over.  Hmm, you do the math.  Sorry Moose, but your stuff is pretty spectacularly priced.

The fact that u know the user moose means ur a troll see yeah have fun troll

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 7:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The fact that I may or may not know Moose simply means I know Dan McHale makes backpacks.  That hardly qualifies me as a troll, now does it.
 Post Number: 13
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Oct. 09 2012, 6:00 pm)
I doubt anyone that is not ready for winter backpacking asking about a High Sierra backpack is ready to spend $1200+ on a pack.

That is all just trying to get the thread back into reality territory.

Though he did say if money was no object. So I could be wrong. Lets wait and see

OP actually asked three questions: first on a specific pack, then for other suggestions if money were no object, and then for additional suggestions looking for value. So I agree with you, core question was wanting to take price into account but also wanting to know what kind of pie-in-the-sky to compare it to.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 14
jmarklane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Who's "moose"?
 Post Number: 15
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 10:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Moose is Dan McHale.

In regards to pricing, you don't have to spend $1,000 to own a McHale pack, at least the last time I checked. Also, Dan makes packs for any and all seasons. There are no special requirements to own one other than to know you are taking it seriously and are willing to spend a bit more to get the pack of your dreams.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
jmarklane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 10:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, Tigger.  I just didn't get the troll suggestion based on knowing who Moose is.  I figured there must be some history that, being new here, I wasn't in on.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 11:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dude, calling someone a troll makes you look pretty childish.  If you want to play in the bigboy sandbox, you'll need to bone up on your interpersonal skills.
 Post Number: 18
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 11:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(scroat @ Oct. 09 2012, 11:17 pm)
Dude, calling someone a troll makes you look pretty childish.  If you want to play in the bigboy sandbox, you'll need to bone up on your interpersonal skills.

Just passing through but...........
You and the OP are both new here THIS MONTH.  He or she is asking questions, you're being confrontational and being a dick.
Hey, maybe you should go back to the kilt thread and reconsider.

To the backpacker.com community, I apologize for any offense.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 11:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Shame on you for calling me a dick.  I thought better of you.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 11:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(scroat @ Oct. 09 2012, 11:29 pm)

Sorry, but you're new here and you've been acting like one.
I didn't even register here for two years after lurking and then I tried to keep a low profile and kind of test the waters even though I have been backpacking longer than most on this forum have been alive.
It's kind of a family and you get a sense of who knows their $hit and who just blows hot air.
If you stick around long enough you will learn a lot from veteran backpackers and new enthusiasts who know their stuff.  
We're all here to learn and share.  
Some of us, like me, are just old and cranky.    :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 21
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 11:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(scroat @ Oct. 09 2012, 3:15 pm)

Not if the OP takes the Maserati for runs to the garden shop? You know so he or she doesn't get the high priced rides dirty....

"Average" so depends on your zip code and the color of your AMEX card.

ETA: OP? the pack is your last purchase. Once all the rest of your gear is in a pile on your floor you gather it all up and head for a backpacking gear shop to see what packs will carry it all. Packs that fit you and your gear. I won't judge High Sierra as I'd never heard of them, not a huge deal as I like what I have... But a manufacturer whose first google hit is Macy's doesn't strike me as likely to have the specialized design knowledge to put an actual backpacking backcountry travel pack together. Though they may be great for around town luggage and roller luggage for tourist travel. Though I might be being too cautious.
http://www1.macys.com/shop....9nieNKj
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 11:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toesnorth @ Oct. 09 2012, 11:34 pm)

I didn't even register here for two years after lurking and then I tried to keep a low profile and kind of test the waters even though I have been backpacking longer than most on this forum have been alive.
It's kind of a family and you get a sense of who knows their $hit and who just blows hot air.
If you stick around long enough you will learn a lot from veteran backpackers and new enthusiasts who know their stuff.  

... I get the old and cranky part.  
I've been a climber, backpacker, hunter and hiker for over 40 years, so save it for the choir sister.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 11:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sound of rulers being drawn.

:blush:
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 11:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(scroat @ Oct. 09 2012, 11:39 pm)

(toesnorth @ Oct. 09 2012, 11:34 pm)

... I get the old and cranky part.  
I've been a climber, backpacker, hunter and hiker for over 40 years, so save it for the choir sister.

Okay, you're THE expert on everything (in your world).  How cool for you.  Now you should learn to play well with others.

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You first
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 11:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(walkinfool @ Oct. 08 2012, 10:18 am)
I'm gearing up over the off season and am looking at a High Sierra internal frame pack.  Any experiences/opinions on gear from them?  Other suggestions if money were no object?  Other suggestions if I was looking for more of a good value?  Thx.

For a wide variety to at least look at I'd suggest the REI website would be a nice start. Though mostly to get information as you'd want to try them on with your gear that you need for your trips. Don't forget the food.
 Post Number: 27
FamilyGuy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 12:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Second the Mchale.  And the Mystery Ranch filled with beer, some of which I will gladly donate to everyone here so that we can talk about more pertinent things like the pending NHL strike.

I read the original question(s) the same as Scroat.  And in his defence, he was called a Troll. How should he react?

--------------
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."
 Post Number: 28
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 1:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(FamilyGuy @ Oct. 09 2012, 9:25 pm)
Second the Mchale.  And the Mystery Ranch filled with beer, some of which I will gladly donate to everyone here so that we can talk about more pertinent things like the pending NHL strike.

I read the original question(s) the same as Scroat.  And in his defence, he was called a Troll. How should he react?

Beat his chest, growl, and not let them pass?

--------------
27 replies since Oct. 08 2012, 1:18 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Need backpack recommend....
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions