2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Six Moon designs, Haven tarp and net tent< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 2:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anyone own a Six Moon designs Haven tarp and net tent? Do you know anyone who uses it? Have you ever actually seen one set up in person?

The cuben fiber Haven tarp and net tent...weighing at 1lb 10 ounces...goodness that looks sweet. Extremely pricey...
 The Sil nylon Haven tarp with net tent weighs  8 ounces more for half the price....

Im just curious about what your thoughts are on it?

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've had a similar approach (two poles, floor less with an optional net inner) Mountain Laurel Designs Solomid made of Cuben for a year now along with it's inner net.

I like the design type (floorless when I want, netted when I need it) and it works for me. Had daily t-storms the second of two weeks out this August in the Sierra and the setup was bombproof. Due to the drought I left the net behind and just took a poly sheet: less stakes it clocked in at 13 ozs...

It sounds like the Duomid would be about a similar size as the one you're looking at, the side poles of the SMD look attractive.

I've never had a silnylon shelter so I can't say between the two: I got the Cuben based on sails experience. Thought it may translate some: Cuben sails do not change shape while I've read Silnylon "stretches" (most all nylon does) and so I expect would need at least some readjustment during the  time the shelter is erected. For a tent that takes it's entire shape from the fabric it could be a consideration.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 4:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yes I was planning on going cuben for that very reason you mentioned .I have read that the silnylon will tend to stretch and may need readjusting, where as the cuben you just "set it and forget it"----ha, like that infomercial.  I also like that it is 8 ounces less.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The other issue might be the target weight? Cuben often (always?) comes with the seams taped and thus already sealed while silnylon sewn seams still need seam sealing, which adds some weight and in this sort of weight class a couple of ounces of silicone adds up. So the final trail weights will differ even more between the two choices if you seam seal.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 4:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ok. hey I was just checking out the Mountain Laurel Designs Solomid that you have..do you have any pictures of it set up with the net? How is the interior space? Roomy for 1 and gear? Does the netting hit your face?

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 7:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, sorry, solo makes self portraits sort of difficult, but there are some at the bottom of the Solomid product page with a person inside. No the netting doesn't hit me in the face and while I'm not usually in the habit of bringing my pack into the shelter there is room for things. Probably the duomid might be better for fuller coverage and you could still use the solo innernet for a weight saving.

I ran across a user review with some pics:

http://hikeitlikeit.com/2012/mountain-laurel-designs-solomid/
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 6:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks again. I did see what you mentioned.  I do like the set up. Does yours have the optional bug skirt? I am wondering if that is worth it? I am thinking probably not, since I can just have the bug net. Is it possible to get the duomoid tarp and solo net? Sorry for all the questions but I want to be 100% sure about this before I jump into it. I love the options it offers for the weight. I would love to be able to use just the netting whenever possible, and also if its raining to be able to pitch the tarp.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 9:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

ok, i really looked into it. I do like the duomid with innernet....very exspensive since I want to go with the cyben. I think I will be saving up for this. Thankyou.

--------------

author unknown
7 replies since Oct. 08 2012, 2:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Six Moon designs
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions