2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Eagles Nest Outfitters Hammocks< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 2:07 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like a nice small lightweight hammock....

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/product/SINGLENEST.html

Anyone have any experience with the singlenest or doublenest products?

Who's the main player in the lightweight hammock arena?

Suggestions and/or opinions?

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

clark, hennesy, war bonnett.  Go onto the hammock forums.  All the info you will ever need

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 3
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

no complaints on my doublenest. i bought a tarp for it and have been using it as my solo shelter for a year now.

ENOs aren't the lightest option out there, though.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 4
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My goto hammock is a claytor jungle.  My son prefers his clark.  But I have a doublenest with the separate ENO bug net as an extra hammock for friends.

The advantage of the ENO system is that you only bring the parts you will need.  The Claytors and Clarks have bugnets attached that can't be left at home.

One disadvantage with an ENO is that it is a single layer hammock - no protection from bugs bitting through the bottom of the hammock.  But if you use a pad in the hammock during bug season, or use the ENO bug net (which wraps around the entire hammock) that issue is resolved.  Another disadvantage is the setup time will be longer and more involved unless you encase the hammock in the bug net before you hit the trail.

But overall, an ENO set up is good enough and preferred by many hammock hangers.
 Post Number: 5
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 3:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use an ENO doublenest with a Warbonnet Traveler bug net (lighter and just better than the ENO variant) and a tarp.

I like it.  It's a straightforward system, and I think I prefer modular.  I don't always need the bug net.

I also brought it on my vacation to Costa Rica in the spring.  The place I stayed had hammock hanging hooks on all the patio pillars around the building and I slept outside most nights.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 6
rorak Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ive been looking at the double nest, not sure how that would work out with my dogs. I might start with a cheep one and see if they tear it up getting in and out. I also need to make sure there not going to move around all night, they seem to do fine in my sleeping bag.

--------------
Paul   TC,MI.
 Post Number: 7
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the doublenest and my dog sleeps on a pad on the ground.
 Post Number: 8
Drake Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 10:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They work.  I have a single and a double and the bugnet, use the double as my primary system in the woods.  For a tarp my old GG White Lightn' is just fine.  I converted a rarely-used BA Yampa (rectangular, no hood 650 down bag) into an underquilt.

Can't complain about any part of it the way it sits today.  If you're thinking of picking one up I recommend you toss the biners it comes with (heavy steel, nearly half the weight of the hammock as supplied) and replace them with a set of WhoopieSlings.  Leave intact the cord that runs through the tube at the gather; use it to clip on your Nano biners.

Way simple and a helluva' lot more comfortable than sleeping on the ground.  You'll be amazed.  I sure was.

HYOH,

Drake
 Post Number: 9
rorak Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DukeFan @ Oct. 09 2012, 9:38 pm)

what do you do with the dog when it gets below 45*? I have to keep them comfortable too.

--------------
Paul   TC,MI.
 Post Number: 10
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 7:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ashepabst @ Oct. 09 2012, 2:58 pm)
no complaints on my doublenest. i bought a tarp for it and have been using it as my solo shelter for a year now.

Okay, I'm looking for something that packs very small, weight is not so much of an issues.

Suggestions?

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 11
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 8:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the doublenest is about grapefruit size as compressed. then of course you have the tarp and the straps. ENO's bug net is about the same size as the hammock.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 8:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Oct. 10 2012, 7:16 am)

(ashepabst @ Oct. 09 2012, 2:58 pm)

Okay, I'm looking for something that packs very small, weight is not so much of an issues.

Suggestions?

If it fits your needs, the Clark Tropical is going to be one of the lightest and smallest packing all-in-one systems.

The Clark North American (if you fit the regular size) is probably the next best option, but the added outside pockets and attached weather shield add to the weight.

An ENO packs small - the single is about the size of a softball, the doublenest a bit bigger.  The ENO bugnet packs a little larger than the doublenest.  Adding a tarp significantly increases the size and weight of ENO system, unless you invest in a light weight silnylon minimal coverage tarp.

all my camping hammock setups pack smaller than a tent and poles and footprint would pack, but not always lighter than some of the better one-person's tents and some high end 2 person tents.  However, the comfort and convenience of a hammock over a tent is worth the extra 1lb or less in weight for me.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 9:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I forgot to add - I set up the ENO double and ENO bug net at home, then stuff both into the large sized (green) dry sack that comes with the $10 3-pack from walmart.  then I stuff the tarp in either the medium sized orange bag or the small blue bag, depending on which tarp will be used (which depends on the expected weather.)

The doublenest and bugnet would fit into he medium sized ag, but then it wouldn't flatten as much.  In the orange bag I can flatten the bag rather than having it stuffed liked a sleeping bag.

Keeping the tarp separate from the hammock is a good idea after the tarp gets wet.
 Post Number: 14
wayne9867 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 10:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the double nest which I use with a Granite Gear White Lightning tarp and no bug net.  Been very happy with the set up.

My Hammock
 Post Number: 15
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DukeFan @ Oct. 09 2012, 8:38 pm)

this.  dogs and hammocks don't mix.

what do you do with the dog when it gets below 45*? I have to keep them comfortable too.

the dog gets its own pad/insulation, or it stays home.

my dogs won't use anything I bring for them, so they stay home if I use the hammock, or I use a tent and sleep on the ground.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 16
Drake Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wayne9867 @ Oct. 10 2012, 7:02 am)
I have the double nest which I use with a Granite Gear White Lightning tarp and no bug net.  Been very happy with the set up.

My Hammock

I have the same tarp, sorta', but mine is all blue and I pitch it in the standard A-frame configuration, rather than in the diamond.

I'll give the diamond pitch a shot.  Hadn't thought of doing that as the diamond pitch runs against the seam but there's not a lot of load on the tarp anyway so seems reasonable.

Thanks for the idea.

Drake
 Post Number: 17
wayne9867 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 9:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drake @ Oct. 10 2012, 10:39 pm)

(wayne9867 @ Oct. 10 2012, 7:02 am)

My Hammock

I have the same tarp, sorta', but mine is all blue and I pitch it in the standard A-frame configuration, rather than in the diamond.

I'll give the diamond pitch a shot.  Hadn't thought of doing that as the diamond pitch runs against the seam but there's not a lot of load on the tarp anyway so seems reasonable.

Thanks for the idea.

Drake

Seems to work pretty well.  Have stayed dry so far.  My Tarp is only 8X10.  Would really like to get a bigger one.  Like that one as it is pretty light at 16 oz.
16 replies since Oct. 09 2012, 2:07 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Eagles Nest Outfitters Hammocks
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions