2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Suncloud Cookie Sunglasses, Too Girlie for a Man?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 7:22 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was trying on sunglasses at my local REI the other day, looking for a durable & comfortable pair of polarized amber/brown lenses with good coverage -- at a price south of $50 with my 20% off coupon.

The pair that best fit my head and that criteria were the Suncloud Cookies -- for women. Are sunglasses really that gender-specific, and do these look just plain wrong on a man's face?

http://www.rei.com/product....-womens

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
scroat Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 11:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MAN UP  
Real men don't wear chick's gear
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it really depends on the glasses. From the pic, my first instinct would be...uh not for me. However, they look like something my wife would wear with an over-sized sun hat. That said, when I'm hiking, I pick my gear on what works, not what I look like. My hiking shorts are black, red, and white and clash ever so slightly with my forest camo rainshell.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tigger, there's a difference between you wearing MEN'S un-color-coordinated clothing, as opposed to you wearing WOMEN'S stuff.  Just because backpacker's are out in the woods is no excuse.  Come on guys, have some pride.
 Post Number: 5
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To the OP, as I'm sure you already know, all that matters is what you are comfortable with, and the fact that you are asking us would seem to mean that deep down your aren't fully comfortable with it.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 6
jmarklane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What about these:

http://www.sunglasswarehouse.com/p/lace-print-wayfarer-style-2895.html

(Seriously, though, I think the glasses you linked to look perfectly fine, and I would not know they were womens' if it didn't say so.)

BTW, one of my tattoos is pink.  Does that make me a Girly Man?

:)
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not if you keep those man boobs harnessed.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jmarklane @ Oct. 10 2012, 1:11 pm)
I think the glasses you linked to look perfectly fine, and I would not know they were womens' if it didn't say so.

Straight on they looked fine to me too, but did you look closely at the temples?

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What's next, this?
http://living.msn.com/style-b....9b5e324
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Oct. 10 2012, 1:20 pm)

(jmarklane @ Oct. 10 2012, 1:11 pm)
I think the glasses you linked to look perfectly fine, and I would not know they were womens' if it didn't say so.

Straight on they looked fine to me too, but did you look closely at the temples?

Hm.  I see what you mean.  Yeah, I think I'd pass.  There must be a million varieties of sunglasses out there.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Oct. 10 2012, 12:06 pm)
To the OP, as I'm sure you already know, all that matters is what you are comfortable with, and the fact that you are asking us would seem to mean that deep down your aren't fully comfortable with it.

I must admit I'm not FULLY comfortable wearing the Suncloud Cookies other than driving and hiking. For example, teammates on my senior (55+) softball team would probably have a field day cracking jokes about it -- and though the ribbing would be good natured, the story about me wearing girlie sunglasses would be resurrected ad infinitum. And I just hate to give those guys that kind of ammunition.

And I was curious what my fellow backpackers thought about it.

And no, scroat, I don't have man boobs and I don't wear gowns.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's good to know.  Now do the manly thing and pick up some Oakleys.
http://www.oakley.com/store/sunglasses
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(scroat @ Oct. 10 2012, 12:56 pm)
That's good to know.  Now do the manly thing and pick up some Oakleys.
http://www.oakley.com/store/sunglasses

Too pricey, and Oakleys never seem to fit me all that well. I'm sure I'll find something that is functional, comfortable, affordable, and, most importantly, manly.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 2:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If they fit then go for it. Maybe just leave the Rhinestone neck chain for special occasions?

For "manly" it's got to be Rayban Aviators., His unfortunate couch antics aside, Maverick isn't wrong on this.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 3:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cruise is such a douche bag I can never wear Rayban Aviators again.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 3:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cruise yes, Maverick? Notsomuch. (and one heck ofa beach volleyball playa).
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 3:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oakley's were good enough for Blade, they're good enough for me (but I also like my Aviators).

BTW, I think we have grounds for a new internet term.  If someone says or does something that's not "manly", somebody's gonna call them out on it.  IOW, somebody's gonna ... "scroat-em".
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:p
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got some prescription polarized Radar Pitch's this summer. Great glasses.

Big price jump from my pre-M-Frame blades but the prescription was getting mandatory.
 Post Number: 20
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This reminds me of a pair of pants I bought at REI some years back.

Our local REI, like most all retail outlets, is forever rearranging their display areas. You go in one time, and the stoves and pots are in the center of the store. Next time, they're over in a far corner.

The men's clothing section used to be in the back, just in front of the shoe/boot department, and the women's stuff over across the aisle in the far end of the building. Right now, that's reversed - and it's changed a half dozen times in the last 10 or 15 years. You get the idea.

Okay, so I went to the REI some years ago, and they'd changed things around, but I didn't notice. I have a habit of looking for stuff on the clearance racks, so I was browsing along in a rack of pants and found these convertible nylon pants for a ridiculously low price in my size: S/M. My "generic" size runs small to medium in pants, waist size 32-34, though I normally buy large or extra large shirts - so let the usual comments commence about how large and manly I am "south of the waistline". NOTE: My waist size varies a bit, being closer to 32 before the Holidays, and closer to 34 after.

I tried the pants on and they felt good (the "fitting booths" are all in the wall of the building, 'unisexed'), so I bought 'em, and wore them for some 6 months, until one day, when the wife and I were hiking on a local trail, she remarked that my pants were "awfully loose in the seat". I guess I'd thought that that was what made them so comfortable - who knows?

Anyway, when I got back home that night, I looked them over and, lo and behold, under that little laundry tag in the back, it said "Women's size 'M'". I'd lifted the damned things off a rack in the women's section of the store, which REI had "stealth rearranged" to trap me! Of course, the wife claimed them from that day on, as well as two shirts I bought that day...
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What I don't get is, why are sleeping bags "Women's" or "Men's"?  I just don't get it....
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My 19 year old daughter's Feathered Friends bag is totally cut wrong for me.  Not only in length but in the body as well.  Here's a revelation, women are built different than us men.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 4:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jmarklane @ Oct. 10 2012, 4:09 pm)
What I don't get is, why are sleeping bags "Women's" or "Men's"?  I just don't get it....

Zippers.

Most men's bags zip up the left side, women's up the right side, ostensibly so they could be zipped together into a double. At least that's the way it used to be, with mummy bags nowadays not many are made to fully unzip and mate with another bag.

Oh, and also because it gives them a reason to sell you more sleeping bags...

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hm, I hadn't thought of that (although now that I think of it, my wife and I have "mating" bags from REI from way way way back when (when we still cared about such things) (now we want separate tents).
 Post Number: 25
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Oct. 10 2012, 4:39 pm)

Zippers.

Most men's bags zip up the left side, women's up the right side, ostensibly so they could be zipped together into a double. At least that's the way it used to be, with mummy bags nowadays not many are made to fully unzip and mate with another bag.

That doesn't make sense to me. Both men's and women's bags can be had in left or right zip.  The manufacturer's don't know who likes to sleep on which side.
 Post Number: 26
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Oct. 10 2012, 5:05 pm)

(JRinGeorgia @ Oct. 10 2012, 4:39 pm)

Zippers.

That doesn't make sense to me. Both men's and women's bags can be had in left or right zip.  The manufacturer's don't know who likes to sleep on which side.

Yes, Big_load is right. They sell mens and womens bags in right or left zip.

As for those glasses..me personaly? Not no way in he11 will you catch me wearing those. They say ladies fasion all the way. But hey, I am in Manhattan every day and I see boys dressing like girls and its no big deal. So hey, if you like em and you dont care what others think, then by all means, wear them.

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 27
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out Sierra Trading Post, when they're haivng one of their 20-40% off sales (lake today), or watch SAC. I actually just got some kind of Suncloud polarized sunglasses off STP for $23. Or was it $18?

Suncloud

But I did get an email coupon for additional % off.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 5:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jmarklane @ Oct. 10 2012, 5:02 pm)
Hm, I hadn't thought of that (although now that I think of it, my wife and I have "mating" bags from REI from way way way back when (when we still cared about such things) (now we want separate tents).

Hahaha
 Post Number: 29
FamilyGuy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 6:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(scroat @ Oct. 10 2012, 1:13 pm)
Not if you keep those man boobs harnessed.

LOL!

--------------
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 7:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

re: zippers -- that's the way I've heard it explained to me, but I've been wrong before...

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
51 replies since Oct. 10 2012, 7:22 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Suncloud Cookie Sunglasses
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions