2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Tent storage, Loose or packed?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 4:52 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've always stored my tents rolled and packed in their stuff sacks. I've never had the problem with delamination that others have described. I've kept tents for up to 10 years with no problems.

I can see why loose storage might be good, but it's problematical in terms of space if you have several tents and sleeping bags.

I don't store gear in the attic or in non-air-conditioned areas of my house, so they're out of the heat and humidity.

Another problem is mice. After finding dozens of holes in a sleeping bag stuffsack---but thank God not in the down bag---I now try to store things in covered plastic boxes. That too necessitates rolling tents to save space. I do keep down bags loose in large bags though. I would never store a down bag stuffed.

So my question is, how important is it to store tents loosely out of the stuff sack? Does everyone do that?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 5:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never had the space to do that, so no. I don't.
I never pack it cinched up and tight in the sack, but otherwise I just make sure it's clean and dry when I pack it up.
I've never kept a tent for 10 years either, but as long as you take the proper precautions I really don't see any reason why packing it up would harm it. I mean, they do store the things on store shelves that way. I'm sure they wouldn't if it was too bad for them.
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have never stored my tents loose, but crammed in their bag and hung from the rafters in my basement.  I have 2 tents over 10 yrs old and no problems in either of them.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd like to say I hang mine spread out or something, but that's only true when they come home from being used. The rest of the time they're in their included sacks in a Rubbermaid tote in the basement, which is cool but dry year-round.
I have a TNF Slickrock that I still use for car camping, since it's my biggest tent, and has been stored in its stuff sack for over a dozen years. It still looks like new if you don't count the tape on a couple of holes in the floor.
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 5:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Oct. 11 2012, 5:02 pm)
I have never stored my tents loose, but crammed in their bag and hung from the rafters in my basement.  I have 2 tents over 10 yrs old and no problems in either of them.  

Me too.  My car camping tent, which is 17 years old and my only PU-lined tent, shows no ill effects.  I never had nor would expect any problems with any of my silnylon tents.
 Post Number: 6
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 5:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Storing them dry, bone dry, is the biggest thing.

The rest, I think, matters far less.  I too have never bothered storing them loose, I always just roll them up in their sacks.  But I also rarely get home from a weekend without sprawling my gear all over the living room--loose--to make sure it's dry before stowing it away.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I totally agree on storing tents dry. I always spread them out at home after a trip even if they were apparently dry when I packed them up at the campsite, because I don't think any tent that has been on the ground can really be bone dry.

In the thread "Sticky Tent" two people said they store their tents loose. That got me worried.
 Post Number: 8
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All things being equal, storing loose probably is better. But it's not critical like with a down bag as long as you otherwise take care of it and store it dry.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 9
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 10:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I store my tents rolled up however I do not suggest you do that with most tents.
(non PU coated silnylon is OK, occasionaly I put them away damp)
There are a few tents that I use in the bush but most of the others are loaners or test tents.
Of those in as much as I try to always store them perfectly dry at least one (PU coated polyester) now has mildew.
(all stored in a very dry place)
 Post Number: 10
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After a hike, I pull them out and set them to dry, usually in the garage hanging upside down (except for my golite Shangri-La) to ensure the floor is dried out good and then I roll them back up and pack them back in the pack for the next trip.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11
Del Gue Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

treelinebackpacker, DUDE !!!!

Your avatar is 6.1MB (4,320px × 3,240px) !!!!

Even with my 12mb connection, your avatar drags down the load speed of every thread you post in !!

RESIZE to 120 X120 PLEEEASE !!

--------------
Del Gue
 Post Number: 12
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 11:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always store my loosely packed  in a cardboard box after it's been thoroughly dried.  Don't know why.  Because I can, I guess.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 13
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 6:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have 5 tents that I store in their stuff sacks. I do not compress them or anything, just pack them in there loosely and have yet to have any issues. I also asked the same question in a post maybe 2 years ago..and overall got the same replies.  I think your tents will be just fine the way you store them.

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 14
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 9:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Once they are dry, into a sealed plastic tub they go. Ditto for the sleeping bags.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 15
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 12:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My tents are stored in their stuff sacks and I've had no problems with them. They then go into a storage cabinet. My bags are in the storage bags and then into rubber maid tubs.
 Post Number: 16
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Oct. 11 2012, 11:58 pm)
"loosely packed"

Beat me to it.  Hehehehehe.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 4:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Oct. 12 2012, 12:33 pm)

(hikerjer @ Oct. 11 2012, 11:58 pm)
"loosely packed"

Beat me to it.  Hehehehehe.

My wife tells me I store my tents the same way my brain is contained. :p

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 11:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hikerjer, we haven't seen you for a long time. Did you do your cross-country trip? How did it go? Highlights? Trip report posted anywhere? Photos? Inquiring minds want to know.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2012, 1:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTramper @ Oct. 12 2012, 11:55 pm)
Hikerjer, we haven't seen you for a long time. Did you do your cross-country trip? How did it go? Highlights? Trip report posted anywhere? Photos? Inquiring minds want to know.

It wasn't the cross country trip I'd planned, but I did manage to bike 2000 (1976 actually) miles through MT, WY, ID and WA and had an absolutely wonderful experience. One of the best of my life, in fact.  I'm working on putting together a TR with pics in the next week or so and will post it ASAP.

Thanks for the interest.

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2012, 3:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hikerjer, that sounds like a much better trip than cross-country, which would have required you to pass through undesirable places and climates at some point. That must have been some challenging terrain, though. Very glad you had a good time! Looking forward to your TR and photos!

So did you wish you had smaller gears at any point? :-)
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2012, 12:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Trail Tramper, there were some pretty challenging passes but I didn't find any of them overwhelming.  When I bought the bike, a Kona Sutra, I had the shop swap the gearing out to 50-39-28 chainrings and a 11-34 (9 speed) rear cassett.  I found that was more than adequate for all the passes even fully loaded with food, water and camping gear. I did, however, often resort to the lowest gear and I'm not ashamed of it and neither are my knees.

But we digress from this thread.  Apolgies to all involved.  I promise I'll post a more detailed TR relatively soon.

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2012, 5:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Excellent choice on the cassette and most people would be happy with those chainrings---not me but I'm a hill wuss. A couple of days ago I was biking up a steep dirt road in 26/34 and was passed by a runner. I didn't even catch up to him on the downhill. It reminded me of the time I was passed going up the side of Jay Peak (VT) by a roller skier---and I was driving!
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2012, 7:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never forget, there's more to life than going fast. :D

--------------
22 replies since Oct. 11 2012, 4:52 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Tent storage
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions