2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ok then, recommend me a sleeping bag!, 20 degree< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TWinAlbany Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 12:13 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Need some help on a sleeping bag. Must stuff into my Kelty Lakota 65, fit my 6'1" length and be a 20 degree bag. Appreciate all the help in advance. Don't care about brand as long as it is reputable.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 12:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Price? Weight? What are your priorities and needs?
 Post Number: 3
theosus Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 6:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the north face Cats Meow 20* bag. It's nice, about avg weight. I packs BIG though, much larger than some other bags I have seen. The zipper is a little finicky but I've seen that on lots of north face stuff. They need to get the 12 year old kids in Vietnam to tighten up a little when sewing our stuff.

I suggest comparing bags by stuff sack size... From what I've learned looking online a lot of twenty degree bags weigh about the same, but stuff sack sizes vary widely. Mine uses a 14L sack, but some use a 10 or 11L sack. A friend of mine uses a big Agnes, hers is down, and is easily half the size of mine when stuffed.

--------------
The flamethrower is proof positive that sometime, somewhere, someone once said, "You, know, I'd really like to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
My Blog
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 7:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Price range of $100 - $150 would be great. I'm not sure on weight just so long as it stuffs into the sleeping bag compartment on my pack. Sorry, I know that doesn't help much but, if anyone has experience with the Lakota, maybe they could recommend something? :)
 Post Number: 5
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 9:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Campmor 20F Long.  Still about $110, I think.  Took me down to 17F.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 6
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

there's a long version of REI's Mojave down bag on clearance at REI Outlet for $155. dunno if the outlet items qualify but the 20% coupon is still goin on if you're a member.

i've been using an REI down bag as my winter bag for a few years now and have no complaints.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 7
scroat Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TWinAlbany @ Oct. 12 2012, 12:13 am)
Need some help on a sleeping bag. Must stuff into my Kelty Lakota 65, fit my 6'1" length and be a 20 degree bag. Appreciate all the help in advance. Don't care about brand as long as it is reputable.

Feathered Friends.  The gold standard.
(But I know you won't buy one, so it's a moot point to even mention this stellar company)
 Post Number: 8
scroat Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 10:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nm
 Post Number: 9
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Go with a down bag if space is a concern. It doesn't have to cost a bunch but I think your budget of $100-$150 isn't realistic. Shoot for $200 and get a bag that will last much longer, compress smaller, and be of higher quality with an accurate temp measurement. You won't regret it.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(scroat @ Oct. 12 2012, 9:56 am)

(TWinAlbany @ Oct. 12 2012, 12:13 am)

Feathered Friends.  The gold standard.
(But I know you won't buy one, so it's a moot point to even mention this stellar company)

Some people have budget concerns.  FF has great products, but not everyone has that kind of $$$.

Nice of you to be snarky about it though...

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 11
CenAZwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kelty Cosmic Down +20 bag is a really solid option within your budget.  It is only a 550 fill and weighs in around 2lb 8oz.  If you shop around you might find a good sale, I picked one up about a year ago for $60.  The lowest temp I've used it in is around 23F.  I was in a tent with a ground cloth, 3/4" CCF 47"length pad, wearing a beanie, wool socks and capilene 2 top and bottom.  I am typically a cold sleeper but was nice and toasty in that set up.  If you are worried about pack space, you could stuff it in a compression bag, although that will add more weight to an already "heavy" bag.  Keeping an eye on Gear Swap for a quilt is also a good option.
 Post Number: 12
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 12:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Steep and Cheap just had a Lafuma down bag good to 32 degrees for around $90 some dollars. I don't know if that brand is any good or not though.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the replies. Always appreciated no matter what. I was hoping that 100 - 150 was realistic as I do have budget concerns. With a family and Christmas around the corner, I can only spare so much. I may have to yard sale some stuff but, we'll see what comes to the table first.
 Post Number: 14
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How about we don't ignore what he's asking for and force our own opinions on him, eh?

Your price is certainly doable. Most backpackers do not carry a 200 dollar sleeping bag.
Marmot Aspen 20
I don't do a lot of winter camping, so I didn't invest that much into a bag, but I use this one normally.
Light enough, and plenty warm. Synthetic so it still works when wet.
90 bucks, and fits a 6 footer. There are long version out there too, but the standard is 84 inches long, It might work for you.
Alternatively, Marmot Aspen Adventurer
for 150 you can get both lighter, about 2 1/2 pounds totoal, and warmer at 15f. Both are great bags.
 Post Number: 15
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 12:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How long will you usually being going out for? Something for a few weekends (at best) per year can be done in that price range rather easily as mentioned above. But it does depend on specific usage.
 Post Number: 16
bigredd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 12:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here ya go......long down sleeping bag for $110

[URL=http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product_43186[/URL]

I recently bought the Marmot Aspen Adventurer 15 degree down bag at Dicks Sportings Goods for $150 minus a $10 coupon.  Really nice product, but regular size (6 ft tall).
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3998004
 Post Number: 17
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some good options on decent bags at REI Outlet.  Some of them within your price range, a number of others pretty darned close (under $200).

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just so you all know, I asked for opinions and they are all greatly appreciated! Now I've got a few options to look at, I forgot to add (dang newbie!) that it will be for spring/summer mostly. I am hoping to get down to the REI in Eugene, OR real soon. My last planned trip the other day got waylayed my a family situation. :(
 Post Number: 19
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 5:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since Spring and Summer are a long ways off, why not wait a bit? REI is bound to have at least one seasonal clearance sale between now and March. The last sale they had I kicked myself over several items I had bought elsewhere for more. You have the luxury of time, let it work for you to score a decent down back in your price range.

P.S. Yes REI's current 20% off coupon does apply to one item from the outlet. Expires Sunday.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 20
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My suggestion for "best for the price" right now, in your range?

The REI Sub Kilo +20.  750-fill down, rated 20-degrees, under 2 lbs for the Regular, and if you fit into a Regular (6' would make it close) it costs $179.93 (original retail $269).  With a 20% off coupon you're looking at $143.94, right inside your budget, plus a few bucks for shipping if you can't pick it up at a store.  The Long (up to 6'6") is 2lb even and would cost $159.94 with the coupon.

It will fit easily inside your pack's bag compartment, likely with room to spare.  I bought a +15F women's version for my wife last year before going to Alaska (also from REI outlet) and she loves the thing.  You can read the whole list of reviews on the site for other opinions.

Just a thought,

- Mike

ETA: That said, if you're patient and check often, you can probably get even better "clearance deals" on various bags, as JRinGeorgia pointed out.  Keep an eye on Steep-And-Cheap (steepandcheap.com, the clearance outlet for backcountry.com), there are some really great deals that pop up there, even if just momentarily, from time to time.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 10:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That Sub Kilo bag looks like what I might be looking for. I read the reviews and am pleased with what was said. Thanks for the link and heads up. I'm looking hard at that one!
 Post Number: 22
jetmom2 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 11:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Eugene REI store is having its quarterly "scratch and dent" sale next Saturday, Oct. 20. The sale is from 10-2, although people camp out overnight and start arriving early in the morning to be at the front of the line. They always have lots of sleeping bags available. I have the REI sub-kilo and love it.
 Post Number: 23
DieselNut Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 11:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TWinAlbany @ Oct. 12 2012, 10:43 pm)
That Sub Kilo bag looks like what I might be looking for. I read the reviews and am pleased with what was said. Thanks for the link and heads up. I'm looking hard at that one!

I just received mine yesterday. I will be sleeping outside tonight with it. It might rain so I will be in a Bivy. Should be hi 40's low 50's tonight. It looks like it should do well. it's a bit snug though (regular and I'm 5'8" 135 lbs). I will have a better feel in the morning
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 11:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks but, unfortunately I work on Saturdays. I looked on their website and the Eugene REI doesn't have that bag in stock. It shows at being at the outlet store. Still though, I might take a chance on  it.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 11:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Please do let me know what your thoughts are! Thanks for the post, I am really considering that bag now. :)
 Post Number: 26
theosus Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2012, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like the look of that one! 10liter sack, 2 pounds, 20 degrees! Nice...

--------------
The flamethrower is proof positive that sometime, somewhere, someone once said, "You, know, I'd really like to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
My Blog
 Post Number: 27
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2012, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TWinAlbany @ Oct. 12 2012, 8:06 pm)
Thanks but, unfortunately I work on Saturdays. I looked on their website and the Eugene REI doesn't have that bag in stock. It shows at being at the outlet store. Still though, I might take a chance on  it.

The scratch and dent sale won't be selling stuff "that is in stock". They sell the returns. Go to the sale and pick up a sleeping bag for pennies on the dollar. It is the one REI sale I ALWAYS go to because treasures await. The last sale I went to, I picked up $100 snow gloves, a $50 headlamp, and $175 MSR snowshoes for $25...Total.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 28
DieselNut Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2012, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The few hours I actually slept outside last night were great. (dogs were barking inside and insisted that I come in or they would keep at it) Not sure what the inside material is called but it felt very comfortable next to my skin. It didn't rain and 53° was as cold as it got while I was outside, and it was very warm in the bag. I had to unzip partially and take my head out of the hood portion. It doesn't unzip all the way but enough that you could use it like a quilt if you want/needed to. Sleeping pad was a neoair xlite.

Post Number: 29
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2012, 12:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sub-kilo is a nice bag no doubt but it is over-rated temperature-wise. Most comments seem to confirm this, and the numbers for filling are a bit light for the size.

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1160420

The men's 20° regular bag is probably more of a 30° bag.

The women's long version is the same length as the men's regular but weighs 3 oz more, as it has more down.

http://www.rei.com/product....ial-buy

It is probably more of a 20-25° degree bag.

Good luck.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2012, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

DieselNut, thanks for the review. I found one other that meets my criteria and price range. Giving it a good looksee also. Need to research it some more first though.
34 replies since Oct. 12 2012, 12:13 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ok then, recommend me a sleeping bag!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions